FA Cup 2019/20

Eednud

• 2 weeks later...

Shake up to the early stages from next season as step six (tier 10) are being excluded from next season. However most of the step 6 clubs that would generally take part will find themselves at tier 9 (step 5) next season due to NLS re-structuring.

This is due to England finishing its pyramid symmetry with 1-1-1-1-1-2-4-8-16-16* setup from EPL to tier 10. Apparently the total number of FA Cup entrants will only drop by 4 from 736 to 732.

*in due course - there will be 17 leagues at tier 10 next season as Devon and Cornwall retain separate leagues but only 1 promotion slot each

• 2 weeks later...
Not a fan of this round being playing midweek if I’m honest. Think it shows how little the powers that be think of this competition now.
Agreed. Even then, having games Monday (they got a bit lucky that the Arsenal game was off due to the Carabao Cup final given they'd played Thursday, while they shunted Portsmouth's game to the Friday night), Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday isn't something I'm a fan of anyway even if it means I'll see a lot of the games. The worst of it is that it was pretty much done to accommodate the Winter Break which was a bit of a farce anyway.

On 02/03/2020 at 09:23, lichtie23 said:

Not a fan of this round being playing midweek if I’m honest. Think it shows how little the powers that be think of this competition now.

absolutely right - only just read an article today about how the Spanish FA have rejuvinated the CdR and rekindled interest in the competition and as if by magic our own glorious FA have reduced what was once 'the greatest cup competition in the world' to a midweek irrelevance by smearing the fifth round across an entire week; they really should just go the whole hog, exclude the Premier League teams (giving them additional free weekends for money-spinning friendlies and mini tours) and play the remaining matches on Saturdays, with 3:00pm kick offs apart from three televised games. non participating EPL teams should have to pay a £10m levy to top up the gate receipts pot for prize fund distribution; give the competition back to the fans and clubs who want it, and f**k the rest of 'em

There are as many Championship teams playing reserve sides in the FA Cup as there are Premier League teams. In the days where clubs would rather gain the extra millions from 2 or 3 spots higher in the league than have a decent cup run I'm not sure how you can rejuvenate the cup. 

I would do away with the league up and start the FA Cup in September 

Good insight and advice from oor Malky on Gilmour’s Wiki page.

SFA Performance Director Malky Mackay had advised Gilmour and his family that he should stay at Rangers, as he would have had more chance of gaining first team experience. Mackay said, "I really hope he goes out on loan quickly to someone and keeps progressing" UNQUOTE

52 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Brilliant goal by Ross Barkley. If only he played this well consistently.

I thought that apart from the goal he was pretty awful. Kept choosing the wrong option, passing to Liverpool players and put at least one cross right out of the other side of the pitch.

A wee bit worrying for Liverpool in that they haven't really turned up for the last 4 games in a row. You do wonder if they are going to be able to get up for the return leg v Atletico and while clearly the League is the priority, winning the Cup or Champions League as well would really cement this side as one of the greats.

As a spectacle, it was a decent watch but that Chelsea side needs a lot of work in the summer. Barkley's goal was a decent hit (although what were the defenders doing backing off so much) but other than that he was poor. Gilmour has played his way into contention for a starting place in the League though and maybe even the next Scotland squad; although we have a fair few central midfielders, he looks very versatile so would be a great option to have.

I can't say either of tonight's games look too appealing so I'm glad I'll be at Gayfield tonight instead.