Hypernormalisation

D.A.F.C

15 minutes ago, tirso said:

Brexit aside, Government is more transparent than it's ever been.  Have you seen the amount of quangos on everything from diet to BME in the workplace.  It's more transparent, that's why people are talking about it.  Politicians rarely lie, they just don't tell the whole truth.  Trump is a bit of an exception and why he's laughed at.  But we're not america and plenty presidents have lied.

A system to what?  The current one has brought about more people in employment and higher wages than ever.  A lot of pensioners are sitting on huge nest eggs from property that will filter down.  European countries' standard of living is infinitely better than the 90s.  There are those left behind but that would be the case in any system.  The vast majority are happy with their smartphone, leased car and holidays.  A lot of people try and make out the world's coming to an end; meanwhile more people are out on terrace having a beer or ten watching the tennis.  It would be interesting to know what system you all have in mind.

Aye we have lots of folk who are very comfortably off; I happen to be one of them.

That doesn’t mean that I don’t recognise the serious problems of those who are not and I want structural changes to address the real poverty, misery and hardship that is affecting vast swathes of society.

We are living in unprecedented levels of peace and relative wealth. We also have pretty much unfettered freedom.
There has never really been a better time to be alive in this part of the world.

All the more reason then to try and mend the roof for others from a position of relative comfort instead of idly sitting back like an I'm alright Jack sad act.

In the example of my local area no we are not doing better. Much worse than I can remember and I’m 40.

Less job prospects, a loss of a local hospital, dozens of large manufacturing skilled factories and employers replaced with low skilled or zero hour service jobs, parks and local amenities get into a state of disrepair, gangs of kids attacking people, beggars on the high street.

This has mostly happened from mid 90s to now. Labour built a few schools on tick money but other than that the town has went backwards significantly. I’m guessing you can say that about almost all of Scotland’s towns.

12 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Oh. Did we go in to harm them?

Britain created iraq after WW1. Along with America we’ve been fucking them and Iran over since then pretty much.

One minute Rumsfeld is shaking hands with Saddam the next he’s calling for him to be removed. They linked up 9/11 to Iraq through a lie and hundreds of thousands of innocent people died because of that. Meanwhile Saudi Arabia can do what they want because they play ball with us.

I can only recall Robin Cook standing up and really questioning foreign policy in parliament. You would think it would be an open goal for opposition politicians yet they sit quiet. I’m not saying Saddam was a great person but we put him there and supported him for years.

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Britain created iraq after WW1. Along with America we’ve been fucking them and Iran over since then pretty much.

One minute Rumsfeld is shaking hands with Saddam the next he’s calling for him to be removed. They linked up 9/11 to Iraq through a lie and hundreds of thousands of innocent people died because of that. Meanwhile Saudi Arabia can do what they want because they play ball with us.

I can only recall Robin Cook standing up and really questioning foreign policy in parliament. You would think it would be an open goal for opposition politicians yet they sit quiet. I’m not saying Saddam was a great person but we put him there and supported him for years.

Is that a yes?

13 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

That's a hell of an extrapolation from Oaksoft v2.0s post and mine, to that.
Please show your working.

40 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

All the more reason then to try and mend the roof for others from a position of relative comfort instead of idly sitting back like an I'm alright Jack sad act.

Define "others".

3 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Is that a yes?

What do you mean ‘we’?

The soldiers didn’t go deliberately in to harm civilians directly no, of course not. 

By using a small paper thin army we went in there and did what we needed to do with no concept of exactly what would happen in that country. There was no thought to restoring social order, the police and the obvious explosion of years of suppression of the different secular areas of the country. We also backed and gave fame to people like al zarqawi who became infamous from western bs trying to create a bogeyman to justify what we were doing.

Afghanistan, maybe I’m wrong about that but we supported the taliban against Russia so again, very hypocritical again.

Aye we have lots of folk who are very comfortably off; I happen to be one of them.
That doesn’t mean that I don’t recognise the serious problems of those who are not and I want structural changes to address the real poverty, misery and hardship that is affecting vast swathes of society.

Me too. I just don't recognise the idea that the world is falling apart anymore than it has at any other time in history. There's awful things happening in our country that need addressed.

19 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

The United Kingdom.

As I said we were more than happy to leave that man in power for years. I really don’t trust our motives for the invasion at all. 

We didn’t just harm Iraq though we helped change many other countries as a result. You could argue the terror attacks in Europe was a direct result.

I think this is getting off topic though as it’s a politics forum.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:
1 hour ago, Tibbermoresaint said:
Define "others".

Those who aren't enjoying the "relative wealth" in "this part of the world", seeing as it's never has been a better time to be alive here, as per Oaksofts post.

So how do you propose we "mend the roof"?