Another Folded U21 Team Before The Season Starts 19-20

You are right in that a u20 would be to target ambitious players and also recognise talent. But at the end of the day, the top end of football at this age is at pro clubs. This would be a middle ground. These clubs would train twice a week so there is a certain commitment involved but hardly dedicated to a sport like others ie swimming, tennis etc. 

As for grassroots, playing for the love of the game, see to be honest I’m not sure where it goes. It’s clearly not working, the biggest issue is commitment for me. Sometimes it’s weekend work, sometimes social life, but it is clear that the drop off rate is alarming we are seeing that already so no change is no good.

Not entirely sure what the answer is for those just playing for fun, possibly a kick about league where teams can just turn up and play. Or the ams game opens up as it does already for players hence why we see a drop as some see sat morning or Sunday afternoon as more suitable than sat afternoon. 

change needed all round if I’m honest. What I do know is my team is at grassroots level and we’ve lost 5 clubs In the supposed top division already. Whether there is anything the league could have done I don’t know, but it’s a shambles for everyone involved. 

Edited by BTID

• 4 weeks later...

A bit younger, but our 2003s has lost three teams in the last fortnight.

Would it specifically need to be Friday that midweek matches were played? I’m aware nights such as Thursday etc may clash with first team training, European nights etc.

16 hours ago, Sunrise said:

Would it specifically need to be Friday that midweek matches were played? I’m aware nights such as Thursday etc may clash with first team training, European nights etc.

Think it’s more availability of pitches Mon-Thur no chance of getting a let. 

22 hours ago, Sunrise said:

Regarding teams folding
You have to understand why are these teams folding.

is it kids getting fed up or being attracted by something else?
cpl of seasons ago, I was coaching at Pollok Academy and our team Pollok 2003's lost two players at under 15, one to take up golf with a full time view and another player to take up dancing as his career, everything is open to youths now, easily assessibitiy so if football isn't as enjoyable for them then they can go and o something else.

Is Family life getting in the way?
Is work getting in the way?
Is studies getting in the way?
Also is it the coaching?
Is it no future, meaning no pathway ?

Any one  of these things can be the reason, then add together are making it harder for kids to stay in football.
Theres more pressure nowadays on kids that when I was younger in them ole days

Regarding Friday night or other midweek, BTID is right, academies have to operate a structure Pollok, Clydebank, Kirkintilloch, Rossvale, Cumbernauld Colts, Syngenta etc..
I know that at the academies most of their lets are used up, Pollok juniors train beside some of the youth team on lets and  Rossvale and Kirkintilloch juniors train beside their youth teams so its hard to find availability.  I know I've tried to arrange friendlies midweek at times and hard to get a pitch. Fridays are also good for the older ages, as the boys at U19s all want to stay in football and progress from there, but on a Friday it means potentially first team coaches can have some time to go and see the lads and the lads can get involved with the first team, going to watch them off their own back or being called up

• 3 months later...

I was coaching at Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts - the 02's - and the team simply started to fracture at U16 level.  Some of the boys were serious about their football and wanted the whole team to take it seriously; some thought they were serious about it but didn't want to put in the same level of effort and some just wanted a kickabout with their mates . We kept it going through U17 level but we simply couldn't train at a level the serious footballers wanted and needed without putting some of the others off. 

I think the only thing that kept the team together was Swifts joining the EOS and Lowland Development Leagues so the serious boys saw that if they kept going there was a pathway for them. Without that I don't think we would  have kept it going for that last season. Boys just reach an age where they want to go in different directions.

On 03/06/2020 at 14:48, alzar7 said:

Good luck to all youth teams in all levels and grades when football next kicks off! 

On 03/06/2020 at 14:48, alzar7 said:

Good luck to all youth teams in all levels and grades when football next kicks off! 

I second that. I have worked with many talented goalkeepers at grassroots and youth level over the years. I sincerely hope they don't pack in our beautiful game through frustrations or take up other interests away from football as and when more measures are eased. Keeper coach.

Youth football in the post pandemic world is done the damage will take decades to recover from.  Sad times. 
Do you think we will hear anytime soon about when grassroots football training may return?
I am quite a pessimistic fellow but not sure the damage will last for decades.

I appreciate the Scottish government have other concerns on their hands but the SYFA have one job. Just one. And that is to prepare, organise and govern youth football and it is an absolute disgrace that, on the last day of the suspension of all football, no further updates has been given.

Players and coaches will be falling away from the game and while everyone knows that it needs to be safe, communication is key in successfully running any organisation.

19 hours ago, TheLad said:

I appreciate the Scottish government have other concerns on their hands but the SYFA have one job. Just one. And that is to prepare, organise and govern youth football and it is an absolute disgrace that, on the last day of the suspension of all football, no further updates has been given.

As a youth coach I've been aware of several updates from the SYFA - checking my emails I see at least 3 announcements during April and May.

Which means they are not on furlough.
You cant be happy that as football was suspended up to 10th June and there has been no follow up date or even general timescales offered?

I dont think that is too much to ask.

As a youth coach I've been aware of several updates from the SYFA - checking my emails I see at least 3 announcements during April and May.

32 minutes ago, TheLad said:

Which means they are not on furlough.
You cant be happy that as football was suspended up to 10th June and there has been no follow up date or even general timescales offered?

I dont think that is too much to ask.

While there has been communication it has not been particularly helpful. Reading it again I see that the SYFA are basically just passing on information from the SFA in relation to grass roots football. As per Junior Pub League post there is probably little that the SYFA can say or do independently at this time.

I agree with you that the lack of any timescale is frustrating, even if it was just confirm no change until end of August (as an example). Unfortunately my instinct is that grass roots team sports will be one of the last areas to escape the lockdown.

Totally agree.

The thing is, someone must know that grassroots football is way down the chain and to not share that is setting false expectations for kids, parents and clubs.
I have parents asking if we are starting back training this week, or is it when we go to phase 2.
The answer is that I have no idea but someone does.

While there has been communication it has not been particularly helpful. Reading it again I see that the SYFA are basically just passing on information from the SFA in relation to grass roots football. As per Junior Pub League post there is probably little that the SYFA can say or do independently at this time.
I agree with you that the lack of any timescale is frustrating, even if it was just confirm no change until end of August (as an example). Unfortunately my instinct is that grass roots team sports will be one of the last areas to escape the lockdown.

5 hours ago, TheLad said:

Totally agree.

The thing is, someone must know that grassroots football is way down the chain and to not share that is setting false expectations for kids, parents and clubs.
I have parents asking if we are starting back training this week, or is it when we go to phase 2.
The answer is that I have no idea but someone does.

I've been reading the posts and don't get what you are talking about. Doesn't matter what the SFA or SYFA say, the Scottish government decides with each phase what we all can and cant do, thus, the SFA and the SYFA cant really say anything or work out what's best when things change constantly.  its the same for changing rooms, sports complexes when they can open, they are governed by Scottish law so we all have to wait.      If your a coach why are parents hassling you when they can go back to training, its common sense, their Childs safety comes first and the Scottish government don't want anyone out unless they have to tell them to  wait for Scottish Government updates and the local updates and then I'm sure the relevant sports bodies will do the same....

Right now, we cannot train, everyone can go on fitness workouts by themselves as many times as they want, so its a start and hopefully by phase 2 things might change.

At the end of the day we are all in this shit together so being positive is the best way.   Youths who want to return to football should be preparing for the next few months because as soon as teams can start training then I'm sure they will start right away.  Right now theres light at the end of the tunnel, phase one is started and hopefully soon we will go into phae two

13 hours ago, NCAC said:

You have every right to be concerned youth football is on its knees and this pandemic and the big delay till next year in getting started will only make things worse no doubt we will lose more clubs players and coaches through this time. 

Some people just haven't a clue what they are talking about.
The come onto forums just to Troll and talk utter tripe about something they know nothing about. To be honest what a sad state of affairs' to be in your life
You know what I mean Cally, opps I meant Alzar7 opps I meant Trafford and funny enough Im starting to see other negative people saying the same stuff in this forum and then other threads

Everything you have said is wrong

Youth football is losing players, why, because time's are changing and old men of football are stuck in their ways, similar to guys who stuck in the junior bubble, its been happening for 10s of years but they did sweet fff all and now its fading into obscurity because of these people.  Youths have to be given a purpose nowadays to stay in football as it start to effect at u17s but there will be a promicing turnaround, a slowdown of losing teams and lads but  a uturn with many more wanting to stay and try their luck to take football further.

there is no place in football for these negative, doom and gloom people and if they open this mouth at teams I would genuinely expect them not to last that long with the team

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

6 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Some people just haven't a clue what they are talking about.
The come onto forums just to Troll and talk utter tripe about something they know nothing about. To be honest what a sad state of affairs' to be in your life
You know what I mean Cally, opps I meant Alzar7 opps I meant Trafford and funny enough Im starting to see other negative people saying the same stuff in this forum and then other threads

Everything you have said is wrong

Youth football is losing players, why, because time's are changing and old men of football are stuck in their ways, similar to guys who stuck in the junior bubble, its been happening for 10s of years but they did sweet fff all and now its fading into obscurity because of these people.  Youths have to be given a purpose nowadays to stay in football as it start to effect at u17s but there will be a promicing turnaround, a slowdown of losing teams and lads but  a uturn with many more wanting to stay and try their luck to take football further.

there is no place in football for these negative, doom and gloom people and if they open this mouth at teams I would genuinely expect them not to last that long with the team

I try not to engage with NCAC now but why do I suspect, if by some miracle junior football had suggested a development league, he/she/they'd say it "shows how close to their communities" junior clubs are compared to seniors?

• 1 month later...

All part of the modern world I guess, long way from the 5 day working week - leaving the weekend for football or rugby. Was so glad to have my playing career without the modern attractions. Feel sorry for people who play from say,under 8 up to 18,then find that work stops them playing. Good luck to all clubs with attracting players.

All part of the modern world I guess, long way from the 5 day working week - leaving the weekend for football or rugby. Was so glad to have my playing career without the modern attractions. Feel sorry for people who play from say,under 8 up to 18,then find that work stops them playing. Good luck to all clubs with attracting players.

Was exactly what happened in my situation. Absolutely loved playing. No matter how bad the week was football was that escape for a couple of hours. Started an apprenticeship which required me to work every Saturday with a Sunday and Monday off. The age group I was at played on Saturdays. Unless a professional team decided to sign me then unfortunately kicking a ball at u17, u21 wasn't going to earn me a wage and sadly that was my playing days over

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I see the West U21s is now down to just 15 teams. http://www.west-of-scotland-21s-football-league.co.uk/All_Leagues.html

I checked at the start of the season and there was a few more teams, split into two divisions. 8/15 of the teams are also senior clubs. 

Unfortunately a few teams were taking hammerings.  They folded after a couple of games