Do You Support Scottish Sides in Europe?

Kejan

Do you support Scottish teams in Europe?   

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This thread's taking me back to the days when Rangers fans were claiming that Mark Warburton should be Manager of the Year for winning the Championship.with such a low budget  :lol:

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A clear illustration of what I'm talking about.  

The demise of Rangers was wonderful for Scottish football.  Not only did it put that bloated club out of the picture, but without their pals alongside them, Celtic diminished too and we had that unparalleled sharing of trophies, although the big one stayed put.  

Since a version of Rangers got to the top flight, that sharing of trophies has ended as Celtic got an act together and flexed their financial muscle.  European success will serve to further cement that duopoly that strangles our game.

Wishing either club well in Europe is utterly senseless for a diddy fan.

Have you heard yourself monkey we are posting about European dosh.

Celtic got their act together like an on and off switch.

You are giving no credit to the clubs that won cup competitions in the last 10 years.

Did Celtic just let these clubs win the cups.

51 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

European dosh.

Celtic got their act together like an on and off switch.

You are giving no credit to the clubs that won cup competitions in the last 10 years.

Did Celtic just let these clubs win the cups.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm giving them all the credit there is.

I'm offering Celtic none whatever for theirs.

The pair of you can really suck the life and any fun out of a thread you're both in together, you probably should be separated. 

35 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

The pair of you can really suck the life and any fun out of a thread you're both in together, you probably should be separated. 

What "life and fun" would you look for a thread like this to provide, had we not cruelly removed it?

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What an infantile and essentially stupid remark.

That was the plan tbh. We've done this conversation already ad nauseam so after seeing it was a rehash I thought I'd just have a wee dig and leave you to the crusade of converting all diddy team supporters and wastecoatwilly to your way of thinking. 

Edited by The OP

15 minutes ago, The OP said:

That was the plan tbh. We've done this conversation already ad nauseam so after seeing it was a rehash I thought I'd just have a wee dig and leave you to the crusade of converting all diddy team supporters and wastecoatwilly to your way of thinking. 

Willy is obviously too far gone, but the crusade to persuade diddy fans not to cheer on a process designed to make their experience much worse, is of course a noble one.

I know you'll agree.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Willy is obviously too far gone, but the crusade to persuade diddy fans not to cheer on a process designed to make their experience much worse, is of course a noble one.

I know you'll agree.

Och I couldn't really care less if anyone supports Celtic or wishes them ill as long as the stadium is full (or as near as possible) for the home games. I can see the logic in not wanting us to become richer. 

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I know you'll agree.

At least I've got 23% to your 42% not a minority view on the poll.

53 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

At least I've got 23% to your 42% not a minority view on the poll.

Yes, that's quite encouraging I suppose.

Far too many however, draw a distinction between how they view Celtic and Rangers.

For me, they effectively comprise the same thing.  I often forget which one it is you support Willy.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I often forget which one it is you support Willy.

It's great getting pints bought for you just because of a name.
But when I tell them I'm not a Billy I'm a Tim you should see their faces.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

7 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's great getting pints bought for you just because of a name.
But when I tell them I'm not a Billy I'm a Tim you should see their faces.

Right.

Which one's that again?  I always forget which part of the entity is which?

I don’t get the attitude of not wanting teams to do well in Europe because it’s creating a financial disparity. As if that matters in Scottish football. Celtic and Rangers could lose every European tie for the next 10 years and it would make f**k all difference to fans of anyone else, as through season ticket sales, global fanbases and advertising they’re still going to making 10x or 20x more than half the teams in the league anyway.

From a selfish point of view of a fan of a team who would love the odd European adventure, it makes more sense for Scotland to have as many teams in Europe as possible, and that requires our teams doing well and raising the coefficient. Thistle haven’t got anywhere near European football in recent years, but if the Scottish Premiership had more spots in 16/17, we would have had a chance, as 5th place was definitely attainable. Instead, due to only 4 European spots and us being miles behind 4th placed St Johnstone, our season was a write-off as soon as we made the top six.

So aye, quite happy to support all our teams in Europe, while simultaneously hating a particular two of them & their horrible fans, when it comes to domestic games.

10 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I don’t get the attitude of not wanting teams to do well in Europe because it’s creating a financial disparity. As if that matters in Scottish football. Celtic and Rangers could lose every European tie for the next 10 years and it would make f**k all difference to fans of anyone else, as through season ticket sales, global fanbases and advertising they’re still going to making 10x or 20x more than half the teams in the league anyway.

From a selfish point of view of a fan of a team who would love the odd European adventure, it makes more sense for Scotland to have as many teams in Europe as possible, and that requires our teams doing well and raising the coefficient. Thistle haven’t got anywhere near European football in recent years, but if the Scottish Premiership had more spots in 16/17, we would have had a chance, as 5th place was definitely attainable. Instead, due to only 4 European spots and us being miles behind 4th placed St Johnstone, our season was a write-off as soon as we made the top six.

So aye, quite happy to support all our teams in Europe, while simultaneously hating a particular two of them & their horrible fans, when it comes to domestic games.

A bonkers absence of logic here.

Of course the OF have huge advantages due to their gates and merchandising.  I've not once said Europe "creates" this disparity.  Instead, it adds significantly to it.  And of course, this is inconestibly true.

Seriously, how on earth could a cash injection of £20m make no difference in the context of our game?  To say such a thing is utterly senseless - it can't not be. 

Wish for your 2 CL spots though.  Wish for a cemented duopoly that sees them share absolutely all of the trophies.

Ignore the fact that when one wasn't around, the other diminished, failed to make the CL, struggled to dominate in the league to the same extent and couldn't win a Cup.

Pathetic subservience.

Edited by Monkey Tennis