Do You Support Scottish Sides in Europe?

Kejan

Do you support Scottish teams in Europe?   

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, big al said:

You don’t want better players in Scotland and a higher level of play helped by success of Scottish clubs in Europe.

You're certainly not any St Nicholas anyway.

Again, I want the quality more evenly spread, rather than raised or even necessarily maintained.  

Why this marks a contrast with a 4th century Greek bishop, you'll need to explain.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Again, I want the quality more evenly spread, rather than raised or even necessarily maintained.  

Why this marks a contrast with a 4th century Greek bishop, you'll need to explain.

Good luck with your wishes, you will have to take on UEFA with that 1.

Wrong St Nic, amazingly must be more than 1.

3 minutes ago, big al said:

Good luck with your wishes, you will have to take on UEFA with that 1.

Wrong St Nic, amazingly must be more than 1.

I don't think I'll be taking anyone on.

It doesn't mean I need to embrace the nonsense either though.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't think I'll be taking anyone on.

It doesn't mean I need to embrace the nonsense either though.

No probs.

it pisses me off when good young Scottish players go down to England lured by cash.

half of them vanish and return not as a good a player, some succeed.

i would like them to stay in scotland and a better league with more games in Europe would help.

positivity can make a difference, to some anyway .......

Edited by big al

3 hours ago, big al said:

While you have a point, it helps Scottish football in general the more money there is in the game. Also it raises the profile. If, for example, 3 or 4 teams regularly qualified for the group stages, it would be a lot easier to attract better players to this country with the lure of this stage.

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever of 3 or 4 Scottish teams regularly qualifying for group stages. We're more then 30 years past the time when that was possible, so you might as well forget it.

We went down the mo' money route in the 2000s and all it did was inflate the OF, piss off fans with ticket price hikes, alienate the next generation, induce Rangers to cheat their way to trophies and create debts that would break or nearly break Rangers,  Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee, Partick Thistle, Dunfermline, Livingston, Gretna and more. Our game now is on a sustainable footing and is more connected to the fans than at any time since the 80s. Pouring millions into the OF, who will drop some crumbs from the table when they take the best talent from their competitors, does nothing to improve Scottish football.

Why are countries like Belgium, Austria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Switzerland and Croatia above us in the coefficients? Until we figure that out we won't move forward - and the answer isn't money.

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

There is absolutely no chance whatsoever of 3 or 4 Scottish teams regularly qualifying for group stages. We're more then 30 years past the time when that was possible, so you might as well forget it.

We went down the mo' money route in the 2000s and all it did was inflate the OF, piss off fans with ticket price hikes, alienate the next generation, induce Rangers to cheat their way to trophies and create debts that would break or nearly break Rangers,  Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee, Partick Thistle, Dunfermline, Livingston, Gretna and more. Our game now is on a sustainable footing and is more connected to the fans than at any time since the 80s. Pouring millions into the OF, who will drop some crumbs from the table when they take the best talent from their competitors, does nothing to improve Scottish football.

Why are countries like Belgium, Austria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Switzerland and Croatia above us in the coefficients? Until we figure that out we won't move forward - and the answer isn't money.

Of course you are correct, but the progression has to start somewhere so hopefully some good results ahead. 

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This 'logic' absolutely fucking incenses me.

You're in the same division as Celtic, and the entire idea is that you compete with them using resources that cost money.  Yet you regard something that can net them £20m+ on top of their already massive advantages, and might as a result see your club get a few hundred thousand, as somehow beneficial?  

It's sheer bonkerdom.  Your "budget" does not exist in a vacuum.  Its only significance is relative rather than absolute.  What's the money for, as far as you're concerned?  How does it help your club if one team gets many, many times as much while those round you get the same as you anyway?

It really is a willing bloody serfdom that sees diddy sides grateful for pitiful scraps in this way.  

🤣

I don't give a f**k what budget Celtic have.  We are never going to be able to compete with them financially, so them getting an extra 20m doesn't matter.  However that extra money in to the club could see us get players the calibre of Jackson Irvine or Liam Boyce again.  Players that won us the League Cup in 2016,  in the semi final that year we beat Celtic.    Their participation in the Champions League in 13/14 allowed us to take both of those players to Ross County in 2014/15.

So how about you go away and think about your own logic.  Yes teams around us get the same money, but it still allows you to get a better quality of player in to your club.

Always support whoever is playing the Old Firm.

I have a vague sense of support for non OF teams but I'm really not bothered, if the alternative is something funny like Falkirk losing to Vaduz or Joe Lewis gifting Maribor a goal I'd pick the funnier outcome.

I take no joy in seeing our teams papped out by diddies. Townies excepted.

6 hours ago, Loki said:

🤣

I don't give a f**k what budget Celtic have.  We are never going to be able to compete with them financially, so them getting an extra 20m doesn't matter.  However that extra money in to the club could see us get players the calibre of Jackson Irvine or Liam Boyce again.  Players that won us the League Cup in 2016,  in the semi final that year we beat Celtic.    Their participation in the Champions League in 13/14 allowed us to take both of those players to Ross County in 2014/15.

So how about you go away and think about your own logic.  Yes teams around us get the same money, but it still allows you to get a better quality of player in to your club.

It's just unbelievable.  You've clearly been immunised against logical thought.

You were not relatively better off because Celtic reached the CL.   You were relatively much, much worse off than the side you heroically overcame in the semi that year.

The only thing that can matter is relative wealth, because the idea is that teams compete with each other by using resources that cost money.

It's genuinely baffling that people don't get this.

8 hours ago, Loki said:

🤣

When Celtic get their CL/EL money they look down the side of the couch for the change you get.

On 11/07/2019 at 19:57, Florentine_Pogen said:

The fact that Arlene Foster’s DUP are propping up the dysfunctional Tories might be worthy of your consideration.

Ergo, hate Sevco.........emoji41.png

On 11/07/2019 at 20:58, bennett said:

Apparently dear reader, they are buying us some new players.

I wondered where the billion pounds went...

22 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I only understand the first win.

How's it a win if the OF get through and our coefficient goes up?  

I never said it was a big win...

I understand your point that Scottish football becomes more unbalanced the further Celtgers progress in Europe, but that train left the station a long time ago. The top division is no longer a competition, and never will be again.

For me, I want all Scottish teams to do well in Europe.

There is a balance to it all, yes Rangers and Celtic get more money the further they go in the competition but with that the profile of the league goes up and that brings in extra cash for everyone.

Of course doesn't mean we are going to challenge but it does mean better standard of players and games, also a chance to keep some of the younger players which go down to lower league teams in England for the money.

2 hours ago, ssdon said:

For me, I want all Scottish teams to do well in Europe.

There is a balance to it all, yes Rangers and Celtic get more money the further they go in the competition but with that the profile of the league goes up and that brings in extra cash for everyone.

Oh ffs.  'Profile of the League'!  What does that even mean?  Who do you want to take a greater interest in our domestic competitions, and why do you care if they do?

It really is impossible.  We've got the game we deserve, when so many mindlessly accept a nonsensical media narrative wholesale.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I never said it was a big win...

I understand your point that Scottish football becomes more unbalanced the further Celtgers progress in Europe, but that train left the station a long time ago. The top division is no longer a competition, and never will be again.

That doesn't even explain why it's a wee win.

It quite simply isn't.  

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Oh ffs.  'Profile of the League'!  What does that even mean?  Who do you want to take a greater interest in our domestic competitions, and why do you care if they do?

It really is impossible.  We've got the game we deserve, when so many mindlessly accept a nonsensical media narrative wholesale.

So what's your solution then? 

It not difficult to work out the more marketable the league is (our teams being in the European competition later stages and being a little competitive) brings in money to the league through sponsorship and TV deals. Nothing changes within our game as it just evens itself out but we can at least have better teams to try and have a decent run in Europe.

The other way things change is by serious investment into one of the clubs, we have been waiting for that ever since it started down south, we are still waiting.