Do You Support Scottish Sides in Europe?

Kejan

Do you support Scottish teams in Europe?   

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, The OP said:

The fact is that we support our club well, whereas Aberdeen and Edinburgh people generally might give their club(s) a bit of support if they make a cup final. Unfortunately, that makes Celtic inordinately successful. If we could all stop supporting our team then the playing field would be more even but I can't see that happening. 

Not true.

I know dozens and dozens of OF fans who never go near games.  A far higher percentage of those who identify as diddy fans, actually lend their club their support.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Not true.

I know dozens and dozens of OF fans who never go near games.  A far higher percentage of those who identify as diddy fans, actually lend their club their support.

The plural of anecdote is not data and the results speak for themselves.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What data can you offer, beyond bald attendance figures, which are not helpful for the point you're trying to make?

They’re pretty fucking helpful mate. I do wish that the people of Scotland’s lesser cities and towns would support their teams as passionately as we do and God knows I don’t want to ever sit next to anyone from Dumfries but Celtic's success being based upon having better supporters is the reality of the situation. 

3 minutes ago, The OP said:

They’re pretty fucking helpful mate. I do wish that the people of Scotland’s lesser cities and towns would support their teams as passionately as we do and God knows I don’t want to ever sit next to anyone from Dumfries but Celtic's success being based upon having better supporters is the reality of the situation. 

A much, much bigger support is the problem.  It's the same for your sister club and comes from all over the country, including my corner.  It's massively regrettable and is indeed the source of the dominance.

To take the Dumfries angle, pretty much everyone I know who calls themselves a Queens fan, attends.  The issue is that far too few see themselves that way, rather than that they don't turn up.

We have a real problem in our football culture that the OF is more attractive in terms of allegiance, than clubs closer to home.

The fact is that we support our club well, whereas Aberdeen and Edinburgh people generally might give their club(s) a bit of support if they make a cup final. Unfortunately, that makes Celtic inordinately successful. If we could all stop supporting our team then the playing field would be more even but I can't see that happening. 

Leaving aside your assertion that Celtic are just better supported you’ve missed the point a bit here.

The clubs with biggest attendances have historically always had a financial advantage and thus been more successful than comparative clubs. The problem now is the introduction of ridiculous tv money, sponsorship etc has seen those ‘big’ clubs been given unreasonable sums of money. European football being the ultimate distortion in a country like ours.

Clubs with a predominantly regional support such as in Aberdeen or Edinburgh have been left behind by the globalisation of football. Much like Celtic have been left behind by the Uber wealth of English/European elite.

23 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He really doesn't.

I know it sounds incredible, but Willy really does think Celtic's superiority is somehow intrinsic, and to do with"football knowledge".  I'm not kidding here - he really does.  It's marvellous.

And "wanting it more".

2 hours ago, The OP said:

Utter bollocks, it's simply that there's more of you because it's a bigger city and attracts glory hunters too.  It's an accident of geography, fans that keep going year in year out despite their club never winning anything are actually much better fans.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I thought poverty was in their DNA?

That's fecking hilarious only now Aberdeen are investing in their infrastructure,the lack of a training facility is why Aberdeen is getting left behind.
You post about the globalisation of football when the evolution of football in Scotland is still playing catch up.
It's an easy excuse to blame money when you look at your own clubs situation.
Celtic fans supported their club back in the early 90's and got rid of the toxic piss up the wall attitude.

48 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Utter bollocks, it's simply that there's more of you because it's a bigger city and attracts glory hunters too.  It's an accident of geography, fans that keep going year in year out despite their club never winning anything are actually much better fans.

Utter bollocks, I go to different games,if any football fan enjoys the game and has the time they will spend their hard earned.
I'm sure there is thousands of fans that just enjoy any game of football.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

36 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Hey,it's not Celtic's fault the people of Dumfries and surrounding areas don't support their local football team.

It is.

But they share that fault with the weak willed individuals themselves, the obscene distribution of resources and a media that does everything to steer them in Celtic' s direction, or that of their sister club.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It is.

But they share that fault with the weak willed individuals themselves, the obscene distribution of resources and a media that does everything to steer them in Celtic' s direction, or that of their sister club.

Monkey that's a totally bonkers post nobody can dictate the team you support.
You can't believe that?

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Monkey that's a totally bonkers post nobody can dictate the team you support.
You can't believe that?

I didn't say "dictate".

Such a thing can certainly be influenced though.  Or are you going to challenge that incontestible truth too, like the one about money?

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I didn't say "dictate".

Such a thing can certainly be influenced though.  Or are you going to challenge that incontestible truth too, like the one about money?

I'm sure there is an infinite number of reasons why fans support the team they do but there is no way you can put a figure on that or even a percentage.

Edited by wastecoatwilly