Do You Support Scottish Sides in Europe?

Kejan

Do you support Scottish teams in Europe?   

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/07/2019 at 11:47, Kejan said:

Another European campaign is underway, and its quiet at work so decided to clog up the forum with this poll.

Do you support most Scottish sides in Europe? Or do you want see everyone go crashing out in embarrassing style? Or do you like some teams to well and others not so? An irrational hatred for someone, and hope they get papped out?

I tend to support most Scottish sides outside the Old Firm. I don't mind seeing Celtic go through (BIG TEAM FOUND) although do enjoy seeing Rangers crash out. Sorry, I just can't bring myself to support them when you see the nick of their fans, flegs and every single Rangers fan's Twitter  account seems to be a mental loyalist bigot and they hate the SPFL/Scottish national side, ironic that they call Aberdeen sheep ; but if they do win and get in to the group stages then I'm hardly seething , as its good for the coefficient.  But crashing out to Progrés etc was terrific value.

So to sound like a big sook ; I'll be backing both Kilmarnock and Aberdeen tonight.

Depends on your definition of Scottish

• 9 months later...

I support all Scottish clubs in Europe. It is important for Scotland to stay united. Scottish football is judged by how well our teams do in Europe. 

I want Scottish teams do well in Europe, the international team to do well, and for Scottish football to attract good players to Scotland. 

On 09/06/2020 at 18:01, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

I support all Scottish clubs in Europe. It is important for Scotland to stay united. Scottish football is judged by how well our teams do in Europe. 

I want Scottish teams do well in Europe, the international team to do well, and for Scottish football to attract good players to Scotland. 

Who cares if people in other countries are impressed with Celtic and Rangers if  it completely bollocks up our domestic game?

• 2 weeks later...
Who cares if people in other countries are impressed with Celtic and Rangers if  it completely bollocks up our domestic game?

To be honest no matter how pish Celtic and Rangers have been in Europe they’ve utterly skooshed the domestic game for the past 25-35 years and that’s not going to change, no matter how good or bad the coefficient is.

9 hours ago, Enigma said:

To be honest no matter how pish Celtic and Rangers have been in Europe they’ve utterly skooshed the domestic game for the past 25-35 years and that’s not going to change, no matter how good or bad the coefficient is.

You don't think Celtic's European money has played a part in them winning the last 11 Scottish domestic trophies in a row?

In any case, you're coming at it from a different context. The guy suggested it matters how Scotland is judged by people outside Scotland, and I'm saying caring about that makes our own game worse.

• 5 weeks later...
On 09/06/2020 at 18:01, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Our teams aren’t judged at all by how we do in Europe. If people in other countries ever actually think of our game, which I don’t think they do, then it’s generally regarded as shite (Referencing every English football fan on social media here) no matter how we perform in Europe.

i support all teams in Europe with the obvious Celtic/Rangers exception. Though I think I have wanted Celtic to win actually, in the Larsson era.

• 3 weeks later...
I actively want Celtic and Rangers to lose every game, and whether it's against Motherwell or Maribor it's all the same. Any increase in their revenue is harmful to Scottish football as a whole. 
I do want to see the others do well, but really, European club competitions are an irrelevance to Scotland now. Even a club with a great heritage like Aberdeen would have to seriously overachieve just to make the EL groups. A combination of an abject failure to develop home-grown players and a relative shortage of TV money have made us weak. On top of that, UEFA have stitched up the competitions to such an extent that our 3rd and 4th placed teams won't even be in the EL in future, they'll be in the diddy Tunnock's Challenge Consolation Vase or whatever.
European football is to Scottish clubs what the Scottish Cup is to Linlithgow Rose - some early season fun, maybe a trip somewhere new and a game against a bigger team, but really, we'll usually be out before the contenders even start and long gone before it gets serious.
Great post

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/07/2019 at 11:47, Kejan said:

Another European campaign is underway, and its quiet at work so decided to clog up the forum with this poll.

Do you support most Scottish sides in Europe? Or do you want see everyone go crashing out in embarrassing style? Or do you like some teams to well and others not so? An irrational hatred for someone, and hope they get papped out?

I tend to support most Scottish sides outside the Old Firm. I don't mind seeing Celtic go through (BIG TEAM FOUND) although do enjoy seeing Rangers crash out. Sorry, I just can't bring myself to support them when you see the nick of their fans, flegs and every single Rangers fan's Twitter  account seems to be a mental loyalist bigot and they hate the SPFL/Scottish national side, ironic that they call Aberdeen sheep ; but if they do win and get in to the group stages then I'm hardly seething , as its good for the coefficient.  But crashing out to Progrés etc was terrific value.

So to sound like a big sook ; I'll be backing both Kilmarnock and Aberdeen tonight.

I was wondering this exact same thing. No point starting another thread. You even have a poll.

Back in the 80s/90s I used to want any Scottish side in Europe to do well. Since then my attitude seems to have changed somewhat. Then, just today, I saw a woman in a t-shirt which said ‘positivity is  lifestyle choice’ or some such sentiments around being positive, can’t recall the exact wording. To be honest it was too many words for a t-shirt slogan.

Anyway, I appear to have bought into that and have only love for all our representatives in Europe.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/07/2019 at 23:59, GordonS said:

I actively want Celtic and Rangers to lose every game, and whether it's against Motherwell or Maribor it's all the same. Any increase in their revenue is harmful to Scottish football as a whole. 

I do want to see the others do well, but really, European club competitions are an irrelevance to Scotland now. Even a club with a great heritage like Aberdeen would have to seriously overachieve just to make the EL groups. A combination of an abject failure to develop home-grown players and a relative shortage of TV money have made us weak. On top of that, UEFA have stitched up the competitions to such an extent that our 3rd and 4th placed teams won't even be in the EL in future, they'll be in the diddy Tunnock's Challenge Consolation Vase or whatever.

European football is to Scottish clubs what the Scottish Cup is to Linlithgow Rose - some early season fun, maybe a trip somewhere new and a game against a bigger team, but really, we'll usually be out before the contenders even start and long gone before it gets serious.

I'd just like to highlight this post once more as the correct answer.

I'll support them up to a point. Looks like we're battling for places with Hibs this season. I wanted them to win all the European matches they played this season. Wouldn't have wanted them going through to the groups although I'd have congratulated them if they did manage it.

Purely based on the competitive advantage it would give them financially.

On 24/08/2021 at 10:33, The Real Saints said:

If St Johnstone aren’t competing, I’ll support any non-OF teams in Europe.

If St Johnstone are competing, I’ll support non-OF teams as long as they don’t do any better than Saints. I’m petty like that.

Sort of where I am, although I struggle to wish anything good on Hearts or Dundee United - albeit both seem to have taken a hiatus from European football.

I like what St Johnstone did last season and that they are getting the rewards of some good ties, in which they've been competitive.

However, if they end up in the group stages, after us trying for eight seasons and potentially failing to get there................then it still would kind of annoy me, but not as much as certain other clubs managing that would have done.