Do You Support Scottish Sides in Europe?

Kejan

Do you support Scottish teams in Europe?   

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A bonkers absence of logic here.

Of course the OF have huge advantages due to their gates and merchandising.  I've not once said Europe "creates" this disparity.  Instead, it adds significantly to it.  And of course, this is inconestibly true.

Seriously, how on earth could a cash injection of £20m make no difference in the context of our game?  To say such a thing is utterly senseless - it can't not be. 

Wish for your 2 CL spots though.  Wish for a cemented duopoly that sees them share absolutely all off the trophies.

Ignore the fact that when one wasn't around, the other diminished, failed to make the CL, struggled to dominate in the league to.the same extent and couldn't win a Cup.

Pathetic subservience.

An absence of logic and subservience, or you ignoring anyone else’s opinions in a pointless crusade against UEFA’s coefficient system?

Two teams in Scotland have dominated Scottish football trophies since the beginning of our game. Before European football, before home teams keeping all the gate money, before anything modern football has thrown at us in a financial sense. I’m not saying a £20m influx into Scottish football won’t impact our game - but I don’t think it has the relative impact you’re implying. Whether Celtic get £350k* for exiting in the 2nd round of CL qualifying (*could be a nonsense figure; just an example), or however many million from making the group stages, the money trickles down into our game all the same. Either our game collectively makes no UEFA prize money with Celtic making way more than everyone else from their other income streams, or our game makes a few million in UEFA prize money with Celtic making way more than everyone else from their other income streams. It’s not a case of, “you’re in the CL, so here’s an extra £20m exclusively for you” - it’s just a relative increase on the flagrant disparity that already exists.

“When one wasn’t around, the other was weaker” - correct. Also completely irrelevant. We’re not talking about one or both being around; the OF (or whoever else) not making it as far in Europe is a completely different thing. And yes, Rangers not being around was great for our game, and it would be fantastic if both of them did f**k off to some Atlantic League or Super League and leave the rest of us to it. I don’t particularly like the way UEFA or FIFA or whoever run football these days, and don’t agree with how it operates at all. But wanting our game to do well in the current climate, for the impact it would have on my own team, is not being subservient to UEFA’s greed.

59 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

An absence of logic and subservience, or you ignoring anyone else’s opinions in a pointless crusade against UEFA’s coefficient system?

Two teams in Scotland have dominated Scottish football trophies since the beginning of our game. Before European football, before home teams keeping all the gate money, before anything modern football has thrown at us in a financial sense. I’m not saying a £20m influx into Scottish football won’t impact our game - but I don’t think it has the relative impact you’re implying. Whether Celtic get £350k* for exiting in the 2nd round of CL qualifying (*could be a nonsense figure; just an example), or however many million from making the group stages, the money trickles down into our game all the same. Either our game collectively makes no UEFA prize money with Celtic making way more than everyone else from their other income streams, or our game makes a few million in UEFA prize money with Celtic making way more than everyone else from their other income streams. It’s not a case of, “you’re in the CL, so here’s an extra £20m exclusively for you” - it’s just a relative increase on the flagrant disparity that already exists.

“When one wasn’t around, the other was weaker” - correct. Also completely irrelevant. We’re not talking about one or both being around; the OF (or whoever else) not making it as far in Europe is a completely different thing. And yes, Rangers not being around was great for our game, and it would be fantastic if both of them did f**k off to some Atlantic League or Super League and leave the rest of us to it. I don’t particularly like the way UEFA or FIFA or whoever run football these days, and don’t agree with how it operates at all. But wanting our game to do well in the current climate, for the impact it would have on my own team, is not being subservient to UEFA’s greed.

Have you read the rest of the thread, featuring the incontrovertible evidence that the historic domination has become stronger in the CL era?  If you wish to consider alll the other contributory factors but ignore European money as being a big one, then there's little I can do about that, other than stand back and allow you to look utterly ridiculous.

I would absolutely, unequivocally, prefer that our game received no money whatever from UEFA, than have it distributed along current lines.  I think I'd need to be thoroughly deranged to see it otherwise.

What happened when Rangers were out of the picture could scarcely be more relevant.  Obsequious weasels who want to see everyone doing well, are hoping to usher in a situation whereby our game has 2 CL spots, thus enshrining a crippling duopoly, that doesn't even permit the others a glance at a Cup.

I want that duopoly broken and ultimately shattered.  You want instead to strengthen and worship it.  I didn't hitherto realise that you got Thistle fans like that.  I could weep for your club.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Have you read the rest of the thread, featuring the incontrovertible evidence that the historic domination has become stronger in the CL era?  If you wish to consider alll the other contributory factors but ignore European money as being a big one, then there's little I can do about that, other than stand back and allow you to look utterly ridiculous.

I would absolutely, unequivocally, prefer that our game received no money whatever from UEFA, than have it distributed along current lines.  I think I'd need to be thoroughly deranged to see it otherwise.

What happened when Rangers were out of the picture could scarcely be more relevant.  Obsequious weasels who want to see everyone doing well, are hoping to usher in a situation whereby our game has 2 CL spots, thus enshrining a crippling duopoly, that doesn't even permit the others a glance at a Cup.

I want that duopoly broken and ultimately shattered.  You want instead to strengthen and worship it.  I didn't hitherto realise that you got Thistle fans like that.  I could weep for your club.

“Incontrovertible evidence” being you wailing and mashing out a reply any time anyone dares to have a different opinion or desire for what they want for their team/the game in Scotland?

I want the duopoly broken as well. I’d also rather you weren’t such an insufferable bore, but you can’t always get what you want.

Monkey Tennis has an incredible knack of structuring and presenting his arguments in such a way that you lose any sympathy for the position he holds, regardless of how much you initially agreed with his point of view.

I think he could tell me that swallowing battery acid was bad for me and I'd go away from the thread wondering if I should open the back of my remote.

Edited by craigkillie

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Monkey Tennis has an incredible knack of structuring and presenting his arguments in such a way that you lose any sympathy for the position he holds, regardless of how much you initially agreed with his point of view.

I think he could tell me that swallowing battery acid was bad for me and I'd go away from the thread wondering if I should open the back of my remote.

Be my guest.

I thought you'd be able to cope with a little hyperbole, and rhetorical messing around.  My mistake.

36 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

22 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Be my guest.

I thought you'd be able to cope with a little hyperbole, and rhetorical messing around.  My mistake.

You're going to have to advocate this swallowing battery acid thing a wee bit better than that...

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Wish for a cemented duopoly that sees them share absolutely all of the trophies.

You are getting ahead of yourself monkey,Celtic are not sharing anything.
Still a monopoly and overstating the noisy neighbours could be perceived differently.

13 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You are getting ahead of yourself monkey,Celtic are not sharing anything.
Still a monopoly and overstating the noisy neighbours could be perceived differently.

All the trophies are being won by an entity I can't stand.

The identity of a particular branch of that entity is immaterial to me.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

All the trophies are being won by an entity I can't stand.

The identity of a particular branch of that entity is immaterial to me.

You said you give no credit to Celtic yet you are giving credit to the noisy neighbours when there is none.
It's still Celtic and the rest,your duopoly only exists in your head.

7 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You said you give no credit to Celtic yet you are giving credit to the noisy neighbours when there is none.
It's still Celtic and the rest,your duopoly only exists in your head.

I give no credit to Celtic or their sister club.  

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Have you any proof of this sister club competing at the same level as Celtic and winning trophies at the same level? 

Not lately, but that's where it's heading.

Meanwhile, you get diddy fans standing at the sidelines cheering.  It disgusts me.

21 hours ago, craigkillie said:

+1