Billy Gilmour

Kuro

I've said in this thread before but still... his performance tonight was no different to a game against Man City. Defensively he might struggle at the Euros* but as far as I'm concerned he'll be a regular starter by the end of 2021.

*I can understand Clarke sticking with McGregor for the tournament. Gilmour's faults won't just disappear after the summer but loyalty etc will hold less weight.
Had a thought in another thread: McG and BG not necessarily mutually exclusive. The two together might be quite solid Vs stronger teams

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’d love to see Clarke do this tbh. O’Donnell and McGregor are both honking players.

And let’s face it - Falkirk fans should be experts in how to spot honking players.....

FWIW - I would say Gilmour is a better option than McGregor based on right now. For me Patterson is not a better player or for that matter more reliable player than SODs right now. He will undoubtedly be a better player and will be Scotland right back for many years to come. 

Edited by welldaft

12 minutes ago, welldaft said:

And let’s face it - Falkirk fans should be experts in how to spot honking players.....

FWIW - I would say Gilmour is a better option than McGregor based on right now. For me Patterson is not a better player or for that matter more reliable player than SODs right now. He will undoubtedly be a better player and will be Scotland right back for many years to come. 

Yip, I reckon I’ve watched upwards of 50 honking players over the last 3/4 seasons at Falkirk alone so I’m well schooled in spotting a honking player.

Edited by Grangemouth Bairn

20 minutes ago, welldaft said:

If the choice is Gilmour or McGregor, then it should be Gilmour. In my opinion it is a bigger risk to start McGregor than Gilmour. McGregor's lack of man marking and inability to tackle are our achilles heel in the middle.

Patterson looked good going forward, but he really has barely been tested defensively at all in his entire career (that I've seen). I think he looks cracking going forward, but I just simply have no idea if he can manage the defensive side. Whereas we know O'Donnell can. That is why Patterson is a bigger risk than Gilmour - the unknown.

5 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Clarke waited too long. Gilmour should have been in the squad months ago so now he is being rushed through. He should have had a settling in period with his new teammates.

He only recently returned to full fitness and got back playing for Chelsea. And he looks just fine in a Scotland shirt so far!

23 hours ago, Tartan Blood said:

If the choice is Gilmour or McGregor, then it should be Gilmour. In my opinion it is a bigger risk to start McGregor than Gilmour. McGregor's lack of man marking and inability to tackle are our achilles heel in the middle.

Patterson looked good going forward, but he really has barely been tested defensively at all in his entire career (that I've seen). I think he looks cracking going forward, but I just simply have no idea if he can manage the defensive side. Whereas we know O'Donnell can. That is why Patterson is a bigger risk than Gilmour - the unknown.

Every time you name SOD in your team you're taking a massive risk. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

He's scored more goals for them than he's played games.  Although the AFC has some utter honking sides in it.  

A triple header against Chinese Taipei, Nepal and Jordan... and they say there are no easy games in international football!

Edited by Enigma

2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

A double header against Chinese Taipei and Nepal.... and they say there are no easy games in international football!

I fucking hate when folk come out with that.  On what planet is there no shite teams when there's over 200 to chose from, some of which are from places with the population of Elgin.

Playing San Marino/Andorra/American Samoa at home isn't an easy game?  Fuck off.

Edited by TheScarf

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Every time you name SOD in your team you're taking a massive risk. 

That's a myth, that I thought had been put to bed a long time ago. I've not seen him much in the SPFL, but when he plays for Scotland, he takes it up a level. In fact, he's probably one of our most consistent performers. O'Donnell will know that he is probably one bad performance away from being hounded out by the Tartan Army and potentially replaced by Patterson, so he can't afford to let his performances slip.

Other than a couple of nervy early caps, he's been solid. I'd say he is very low risk compared to the likes of Forrest, Fraser, Fleck, Christie or McGregor who have been unfit/off-form. 

Where as Gilmour (back on topic) is seemingly no risk at all. He doesn't seem phased by anything.

10 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

In fact, he's probably one of our most consistent performers. 

Consistently poor, yes. He is not good enough on the ball to be playing at international level. 

The sooner he's taken out of the team, the better. 

He's absolutely fine if we are never going to have the ball and backs to the wall - anything else he's a liability whose decision making, ability and intelligence slows us down. 

On 06/06/2021 at 23:42, Binos said:

Gilmour must start over mcgregor 

He's ten times the player

Same for Patterson and odonnell 

Correct.

On 07/06/2021 at 08:58, welldaft said:

I actually quite like O’Donnell but Patterson is streets ahead of him. He may not have the international experience of O’Donnell but that’s purely down to timing/circumstance. Patterson has shown more than enough ability in domestic club games and did well in the wee run of games he played in the Europa league. Didn’t look remotely phased or out of his depth. He’s far more natural in that attacking fullback role and would providing a perforce balance on the right hand side to what Robertson offers on the left.

On 07/06/2021 at 08:58, welldaft said:

FWIW - I would say Gilmour is a better option than McGregor based on right now. 

Partly due to the fact that Gilmour is not burnt out as opposed to MacGregor who has played a ridiculous amount of games over the last season(s)

2 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Correct.

I actually quite like O’Donnell but Patterson is streets ahead of him. He may not have the international experience of O’Donnell but that’s purely down to timing/circumstance. Patterson has shown more than enough ability in domestic club games and did well in the wee run of games he played in the Europa league. Didn’t look remotely phased or out of his depth. He’s far more natural in that attacking fullback role and would providing a perforce balance on the right hand side to what Robertson offers on the left.

Patterson isn’t streets ahead of O’Donnell right now. He definitely has the potential to be much, much better but defensively the other night he  got done by Rodrigues and didn’t look great at that side of things.  He looked v good going forward but O’Donnell did as well.

Right now O’Donnell would be in the team because he has the experience and is a bit more solid defensively. 

As above; although he was gallus going forward, Patterson got absolutely ripped a few times by the Luxembourgish-Portuguese left-winger.

If he continues to develop his game (and screw the nut) then he should become the better player but right now he looks defensively suspect and raw and to throw him in against someone like Perisic or Rashford would be an act of total folly.

Edited by IggyStooge

O'Donnell has had more games for Scotland that Patterson has had games in his entire career and hasn't put a foot wrong in a couple of years now for Scotland. Patterson looks like a good prospect but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's played nothing close to the amount of games top flight games Tierney or Robertson had when they were also teenagers. He gets beaten too easily and his positioning is suspect and often relies on his speed to recover which is fine against domestic competition but he'll be ripped to shreds against someone like Sterling or Rashford. I don't even know if he's much better than O'Donnell going forward. Yes, hopefully, he can be just as good on the right as Robertson is on the left and, as much as I like O'Donnell, he's playing above his abilities for Scotland and Patterson can be an improvement in time but he's still gonna start next season on the bench for Sevco. He's not 2002 era Cafu just yet.