Billy Gilmour

Kuro

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Lampard very much has him as a first team player, he's said as much himself. He's only just back from a bad injury so he'll be gradually eased back in. 

He keeps saying he's a first team player and then not playing him

Since he's come back in November (he played for our u21 v Croatia) he's been subbed on late a couple of times in prem games

My point is they are playing so bad he should be getting chances as a start

Also, he needs to play

16 minutes ago, Binos said:

He keeps saying he's a first team player and then not playing him

Since he's come back in November (he played for our u21 v Croatia) he's been subbed on late a couple of times in prem games

My point is they are playing so bad he should be getting chances as a start

Also, he needs to play

He's 19 mate. 

12 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Anyone who thinks Billy Gilmour isn't in Chelsea's current plans or Kieran Tierney isn't in Arsenals current plans is a tad touched.

Aye this is another Tierney situation. Gilmour is doing great and the only way he'll ever be leaving Chelsea is when he gets too good for them and goes to a better team.

Gilmour will be happy with his development and getting eased into the starting XI of a massive club at his age is excellent. They clearly think a lot of him and long may it continue.
Only worry id have for Gilmour is the Euros coming at the wrong time for him where he might not have established himself before the tournament. Clarke seems like a safety first manager and I imagine he'll have a lot of loyalty to the team that got to the Euros and it would take someone like Gilmour starring week in week out to displace them.

4 hours ago, ilostmyself said:

Gilmour will be happy with his development and getting eased into the starting XI of a massive club at his age is excellent. They clearly think a lot of him and long may it continue.
Only worry id have for Gilmour is the Euros coming at the wrong time for him where he might not have established himself before the tournament. Clarke seems like a safety first manager and I imagine he'll have a lot of loyalty to the team that got to the Euros and it would take someone like Gilmour starring week in week out to displace them.

On the face of it it would seem really harsh to say Kenny McLean ( scorer of the 5th pen in both shootouts ) to leave him out the squad.   But sentiment shouldn't matter, Gilmour is clearly the better player and would fare better against the likes of Luca Modric, Declan Rice or whoever we face at the Euros.  

Gilmour and Turnbull have to come in and then leave out the weakest players which for me is McLean and Fleck.  

Edited by Erih Shtrep

On the face of it it would seem really harsh to say Kenny McLean ( scorer of the 5th pen in both shootouts ) to leave him out the squad.   But sentiment shouldn't matter, Gilmour is clearly the better player and would fare better against the likes of Luca Modric, Declan Rice or whoever we face at the Euros.  

Gilmour and Turnbull have to come in and then leave out the weakest players which for me is McLean and Fleck.  
Declan Rice is pish, genuinely can't believe he got an England cap.

15 hours ago, Erih Shtrep said:

On the face of it it would seem really harsh to say Kenny McLean ( scorer of the 5th pen in both shootouts ) to leave him out the squad.   But sentiment shouldn't matter...

These things can matter more than you think. If we were picking 23 individuals to play tennis sure, but we win or lose football games as a team.

I am not against Gilmour going, far from it, but dropping folk who scored crucial penalties probably isn't the answer. If he was bossing it every week that might be a different story.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Keeping McLean in the squad because he scored two penalties would be equally daft though. He's not even our regular penalty taker, and the chances of us having another shoot-out at the Euros is quite slim.

That wouldn't be why you might keep him though. You would keep if he is important to the dressing room as one of the heroes that has been on the journey and helped get us there.

He is also easily good enough to play and as he's proved, take a pen if needed.

2 hours ago, The Algebraist said:

That wouldn't be why you might keep him though. You would keep if he is important to the dressing room as one of the heroes that has been on the journey and helped get us there.

He is also easily good enough to play and as he's proved, take a pen if needed.

No space for sentiment here. Kenny McLean might be good enough to play but he's also 29 and probably only has 1 or 2 campaigns left in him. Gilmour is also good enough to play, arguably better at playing than McLean and is 19. He's clearly the future of the team and should be involved as soon as possible.

4 hours ago, Binos said:

I just don't see Gilmour getting in the euros squad with the amount of game time at Chelsea

Which is a crying shame as he's class

Lampard literally said 3 days ago that Gilmour and Hudson-Odoi have done enough to earn regular starts. Why are you so set on this narrative he won't get games?

I think McLean has played quite well for us. Usually does a decent job of calming things down when he comes on.

Big fan of Gilmour though. Ideally the max squad size will be increased because of the crammed season and we won’t need to bother debating it.

McLean has been better than I expected and hasn't really let us down at any point, but Clarke is paid to make tough decisions and ultimately I think if you take emotion out of it Gilmour is the better player. I think it also would have a lot of symbolic value in terms of the performance schools and giving the current kids in those something to aspire to.

I think as far as midfield pecking order is concerned McLean is ahead of Fleck so I’d expect that if Gilmour makes it then it would be at the expense of Fleck which I’d be ok with. If Turnbull continues his form McLean should be concerned about his slot.

McLean has been better than I expected and hasn't really let us down at any point, but Clarke is paid to make tough decisions and ultimately I think if you take emotion out of it Gilmour is the better player. I think it also would have a lot of symbolic value in terms of the performance schools and giving the current kids in those something to aspire to.
Agree with this... but at the same time McLean also brings a certain symbolic value to the squad: a guy in whom Clarke trusts, who has delivered at the most arse-clenching moment in our last 20 years, who must be held in high esteem by the rest of the squad.

Gilmour is better than and will be ten times the player Mclean is, but I'm struggling to see Clarke taking the plunge as things stand, simply because BG hasn't been exposed to very much regular competitive football yet. Clarke hasn't called up anyone as rookie as Gilmour yet, as far as I can remember... then again he hadn't had such a prospect on his hands until recently.

Intriguing dilemma. Really hope we get 26 man squads for this then we can take both (plus 1 or 2 others)

P.S. I definitely want both plus Turnbull in the March WC qualifiers

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Agree with this... but at the same time McLean also brings a certain symbolic value to the squad: a guy in whom Clarke trusts, who has delivered at the most arse-clenching moment in our last 20 years, who must be held in high esteem by the rest of the squad.

Gilmour is better than and will be ten times the player Mclean is, but I'm struggling to see Clarke taking the plunge as things stand, simply because BG hasn't been exposed to very much regular competitive football yet. Clarke hasn't called up anyone as rookie as Gilmour yet, as far as I can remember... then again he hadn't had such a prospect on his hands until recently.

Intriguing dilemma. Really hope we get 26 man squads for this then we can take both (plus 1 or 2 others)

P.S. I definitely want both plus Turnbull in the March WC qualifiers

I've always advocated bigger squads for tournaments as I think 23 favours the big countries.

But these decisions are for the manager and you'd need to know his mind much better than we do plus have experience of the camp to have an educated guess as to what might happen. 

Team spirit is a big thing for a wee country like us, and some noses could be out of joint if someone is brought in that hasn't contributed to us getting there at the expense of someone who has.

I trust Clarke to make the right decision.

I've always advocated bigger squads for tournaments as I think 23 favours the big countries.
But these decisions are for the manager and you'd need to know his mind much better than we do plus have experience of the camp to have an educated guess as to what might happen. 
Team spirit is a big thing for a wee country like us, and some noses could be out of joint if someone is brought in that hasn't contributed to us getting there at the expense of someone who has.
I trust Clarke to make the right decision.

True. The only thing we can infer is his apparent preference for known quantities and experience (he hasn't chopped and changed too much and has fallen back on guys he knows like Brophy, or when needing replacements has gone for guys like Paul McGinn and Considine - both in the later years of their careers - over youth and potential).

That makes me think the smart money is on McLean. Gilmour would be a much more exciting pick, but that's not quite Clarke's way.

Marshall, McLaughlin, Gordon

Paterson O'Donnell, McTominay, Gallacher, McKenna , Cooper, Tierney, Robertson

McLean, Jack, Armstrong, McGinn, McGregor, Gilmour, Christie, Fraser, Forrest

Dykes McBurnie , Griffiths

I think will be the 23 that go