Billy Gilmour

Kuro

14 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
14 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:
Can't agree with this mate, I think fletcher was a great player. But mascherano was a far better player in his prime.

Guys like Rooney have said he was more important for them than the likes of Ronaldo and Tevez

It doesn't really matter that Rooney said that when it's obviously not true. Ronaldo won a Ballon D'Or playing in that side.

Fletcher was important to them and a great player in his prime - just not on that level at all.

32 minutes ago, DMCs said:

It doesn't really matter that Rooney said that when it's obviously not true. Ronaldo won a Ballon D'Or playing in that side.

Fletcher was important to them and a great player in his prime - just not on that level at all.

That's a good example of why you should always listen to players though.  He didn't say he was a better player, he said more important to the team.

Now he played for that team, you didn't.  So it takes a special type of arrogance to tell him he's wrong.  

I watched a thing a while back with two players from that same team I can't remember who think it was Ferdinand and someone. They were asked the same question, who was the most important player in that team?  Straight away they both said oh Carrick 100% and both nodded in agreement.

Now 99.9% of fans would not have said that, and laughed at another fan that said it.  He was ridiculed a bit and its widely agreed amongst fans that he didn't do great at Man Utd.

Listen to the players who actually played for Man Utd though and its a different story. They both were going on about how he senses danger before it happens and snuffs it out with his positioning and how that gets them out of trouble all the time, allowing them to attack and press like they did. A fan watching the game can't really see that, but all the players are massively aware of it all the time.

1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's a good example of why you should always listen to players though.  He didn't say he was a better player, he said more important to the team.

Now he played for that team, you didn't.  So it takes a special type of arrogance to tell him he's wrong.  

I watched a thing a while back with two players from that same team I can't remember who think it was Ferdinand and someone. They were asked the same question, who was the most important player in that team?  Straight away they both said oh Carrick 100% and both nodded in agreement.

Now 99.9% of fans would not have said that, and laughed at another fan that said it.  He was ridiculed a bit and its widely agreed amongst fans that he didn't do great at Man Utd.

Listen to the players who actually played for Man Utd though and its a different story. They both were going on about how he senses danger before it happens and snuffs it out with his positioning and how that gets them out of trouble all the time, allowing them to attack and press like they did. A fan watching the game can't really see that, but all the players are massively aware of it all the time.

If there's a difference that exists between armchair fans and pros, it's always on aspects like that.  There's an awful lot to disagree with pros on (understanding of the basics of the LotG, sportsmanship etc.), but when they talk up former team mates as being indispensable, we should listen and take note.

I liked Fletcher but this is just crap.
Fletcher featured in two Champions League Finals aged 24 & 27 - both times as an unused substitute. Guys playing ahead of him in central midfield for these games included Carrick, Ji-Sung, Hargreaves and Giggs.
Oh... and Mascherano played the full game in one of those, for the team that won!

Fletcher in 2009 playing in the EPL was better than Mascherano and Song at that time.

Carrick was also a terrific a player who wasn't appreciated as much as he should've been, probably because he didn't charge around the pitch like most English midfielders. The fact he only got 34 caps is probably evidence of that.

Bringing it back onto topic somewhat, Gilmour may have suffered from the same thing had he broken through 10 years ago but mentalities in British football have definitely changed to some extent.

1 hour ago, afca32 said:

Carrick was also a terrific a player who wasn't appreciated as much as he should've been, probably because he didn't charge around the pitch like most English midfielders. The fact he only got 34 caps is probably evidence of that.

Bringing it back onto topic somewhat, Gilmour may have suffered from the same thing had he broken through 10 years ago but mentalities in British football have definitely changed to some extent.

He only got 34 caps because they constantly tried to play Gerrard and lampard together which never worked

They should have gone with one and Carrick would have had another 60 caps

2 hours ago, red23 said:

where is that lad on here who says Owen Hargreaves was world class?

Before he got injured in the Bayern European cup winning side, was best in Europe in his position at that time

Didn't last long though

13 hours ago, dysartrovers said:

Would be more telling of his importance if he gets game time with them behind

10 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Well he did.

It doesn’t really suit his strengths bombing forward in search of an equaliser though.

I agree he's not best placed to come on when behind if you are chasing a game but it shows the regard that Lampard must hold him in to still put him on in that scenario as he must have believed he could help Chelsea in some way.

• 3 weeks later...

BG gets a wee half hour run out today. Good to see him getting more EPL time but Chelsea are beginning to struggle. Rumours that Lampard's job is under serious threat. Not the kind of disruption we want Gilmour to be caught up in the middle of right now.

Got half an hour today, is almost certain to start in the FA Cup and, based on today, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start against Fulham in the league. I thought he was OK in pretty difficult circumstances - he certainly didn't look out of place but it would've been more telling if he was up against a City side that hadn't wrapped the game up.

The fact he can come on into that Chelsea side against City and approach it the exact same way as he does against Krasnodar or for Scotland u21s against San Marino is impressive imo.

51 minutes ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

Thought he did pretty well today when he came on. Very exciting prospect. Hope he gets more games. May even make the team for the finals in the Summer.

He will need to be playing regularly to make the squad, There was talk of him going out on loan and I think that will  be his best chance of getting in.