Billy Gilmour

Kuro

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

We were also struggling big time for full backs for quite a while. 

Right back isn't quite at the level of Left yet, although Hickey has a very high ceiling, but it's truly mental to think that if you were a Left Back wanting to displace what we have and claim the starting slot for Scotland, you'd probably have to be like, the third best Left back in the world or better

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Right back isn't quite at the level of Left yet, although Hickey has a very high ceiling, but it's truly mental to think that if you were a Left Back wanting to displace what we have and claim the starting slot for Scotland, you'd probably have to be like, the third best Left back in the world or better

Aye what I'd have given even for a bloody Greg Taylor around 2005ish. Fuckn Ian Murray getting punted there still infuriates me. Now as you say we're completely overwhelmed with top class options there. 

Can we turn one of then into a striker? If we had our own Lewandowski in this team, we'd seriously be threatening to win shit.

24 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

it's truly mental to think that if you were a Left Back wanting to displace what we have and claim the starting slot for Scotland, you'd probably have to be like, the third best Left back in the world or better

There's been a recent trend of midfielders playing in the left back position at top clubs. Zinchenko at Arsenal, Bernardo Silva at Man City, Camavinga at Real Madrid. Not sure if that's because traditional left backs are going out of fashion or just coincidental but it definitely helps Robertson and Tierney in comparisons of this nature. 

I think those positions can be interchangeable as even for Scotland Stuart Armstrong periodically occupies full back positions to pick up the ball (The home victory against Ireland was a good game to see that) and another good example was in the Spain game just gone Merino and Ceballos were dropping into those positions regularly.

Ayari is not higher than Billy Gilmour. I think we have to be honest. Mac Allister and Pascal Gross are top players for us. It is a difficult situation for Ayari and Gilmour. If they are focused on improving, on catching the next possibility to play I hope to change my idea, but now it is difficult. There are 13-14 players in Brighton that are very good. We are fighting for the Europa League and other big targets.

My way of working is to keep the ball, to improve the quality of passing, control, to understand where to receive the ball, the next line pass open, to touch the ball a lot in training and to request more and more and more from him in terms of quality and personality. In this way I try to improve my players. Ayari, Billy Gilmour, and the other younger or not-so-young players.

Roberto De Zerbi

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-de-zerbi-gilmour-chelsea-8353416

On 11/04/2023 at 00:10, 2426255 said:

josh campbell deserves a chance. He's been a boss for Hibs. Either that or it might be worth considering bringing back John Fleck.

Is Fleck getting game time? I seen him come off the bench for 20 minutes at the weekend but don't know beyond that?

25 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Is Fleck getting game time? I seen him come off the bench for 20 minutes at the weekend but don't know beyond that?

I like him as a player but to be fair that post was mostly tongue in cheek. I haven't seen John Fleck myself this season although I think it's been injury hit. 

• In Sheffield Utd's last 10 games from 1st-March he has played 201 minutes (22.3%).
  • In Sheffield Utd's last 5 games from 19th-March he has played 49 minutes (10.9%).

firstly - I'm not saying Gilmour should be dropped from the squad or Hayden Hackney should be called up but just using these 2 players as an example. Hackney playing week in week out in a team that is doing very well in the championship and by all accounts seems to have had a very good season. I like what Clarke has done bringing a club feel to the squad and not making drastic changes for the sake of it but when does the point come where someone like Hackney (just an example) can't  be overlooked for someone not playing at all but has been a regular in the squad? must be a tough part of international management trying to find a balance between loyalty to squad players he likes/trust but keeping out players who look like they deserve a chance

2 hours ago, Elgin Macca said:

firstly - I'm not saying Gilmour should be dropped from the squad or Hayden Hackney should be called up but just using these 2 players as an example. Hackney playing week in week out in a team that is doing very well in the championship and by all accounts seems to have had a very good season. I like what Clarke has done bringing a club feel to the squad and not making drastic changes for the sake of it but when does the point come where someone like Hackney (just an example) can't  be overlooked for someone not playing at all but has been a regular in the squad? must be a tough part of international management trying to find a balance between loyalty to squad players he likes/trust but keeping out players who look like they deserve a chance

If squad numbers are not limited, then the easy solution would be to call up both - Gilmour as the long term project (has already delivered for Scotland, but is going through a bumpy patch in his career) and Hackney as the potential new talent to see how he integrates.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

If squad numbers are not limited, then the easy solution would be to call up both - Gilmour as the long term project (has already delivered for Scotland, but is going through a bumpy patch in his career) and Hackney as the potential new talent to see how he integrates.

I thinks thats a good idea, but can't see Clarke going for it. He seems to like a smaller squad, which is understandable as he assumably doesn't want to waste peoples time.

But for a younger player like Hackney its going to be great experience. Or even a guy like Doak.

30 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I thinks thats a good idea, but can't see Clarke going for it. He seems to like a smaller squad, which is understandable as he assumably doesn't want to waste peoples time.

But for a younger player like Hackney its going to be great experience. Or even a guy like Doak.

Yeah it doesn't seem to be Clarke's way, or at least his current way. He has been adaptable on other fronts though to good effect, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised were he to begin reserving a place or two for 'emerging talent'. I really hope he does go down that route tbh. It'd be a killer for the likes of Doak to be denied early exposure to the top squad purely because of a self-imposed squad numbers limitation.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

3-0 up in 25 minutes and he seems to have been heavily involved.

I’ve been watching and he’s been good. Demanding the ball in tights spaces and getting forward quite well. Probably playing a bit further forward than we’re used to see him for Scotland. 

Yip nice 45 from him. Played some clever passes as you'd expect and seems to be more comfortable in dragging markers away in buildup like De Zerbi demands. 

Word for Wolves, though, who are putting in the worst Premier League performance I've seen this season. Absolutely abominable. 

46 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Yip nice 45 from him. Played some clever passes as you'd expect and seems to be more comfortable in dragging markers away in buildup like De Zerbi demands. 

Word for Wolves, though, who are putting in the worst Premier League performance I've seen this season. Absolutely abominable. 

Aye, Wolves have been laughably bad.

Oor boy Billy has strolled it 2nd half against a dispirited side. Nearly topped it off with a lovely touch and hit from the edge of the box, which hit the post.

With Veltman going off with what looked like a hamstring injury and Caicedo, Mac Allister and Gilmour all playing in the same side, you’d hope there’s a blueprint there for him to get a run of games now.