Billy Gilmour

Kuro

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Or to put it another way, discussing football.

Not really - there’s a difference between discussing potential call ups but being happy with what Clarke does for and actively complaining about his selections. 

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Part of a camp is role playing how the other team might play. He might have had him along as our most "Rodri" type player or something. It might not always be about nurturing and developing.

This is a good point and I'm sure Clarke's mentioned someone like Kenny McLean as having to play in Israel's system for a few days then as someone else the next few days.

For what it's worth, Gilmour was heavily involved in the back five + pivot warmup against Spain. It was Jack and McGregor with the back five in the Cyprus warmup, but Gilmour partnered McGregor for the Spain warmup while McTominay took part in the shooting drill. 

1 hour ago, NickMcG said:

I don't really get this argument. Even a championship player getting regular game time is better than someone who simply isn't playing and hasn't played any minutes for their country in almost a year.

Not that it really matters, but he did start against Turkey in November. 

1 hour ago, NickMcG said:

I don't really get this argument. Even a championship player getting regular game time is better than someone who simply isn't playing and hasn't played any minutes for their country in almost a year.

I wasn't really trying to be argumentative, genuinely interested in who people think would be better for the squad. I can see the arguments for having guys like Allan Campbell in there instead but I still think Gilmours potential exceeds Campbells, just wondering if there are any other players folk think are worthy. I hope the experience we are giving Gilmour now proves worth it in the end and ultimately I think we need to trust Clarke. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Not really - there’s a difference between discussing potential call ups but being happy with what Clarke does for and actively complaining about his selections. 

Your over thinking it. People discussing wether a player should or shouldn't be in a squad, whats the big deal. Its the Scotland discussion pages.

I can see both sides of it tbh, Gilmours going to be a great player for us. And in terms of potential hes possibly our best. But we need the best squad and if hes not playing at all. Which he isn't, then maybe its worth considering other players who are, and so can bring more right now.

Gilmour is still likely to have a huge future as a Scotland player, he's too talented not to, and so it would be fairly short-sighted to completely jettison him at this point just because he's having a rough patch at club level. His confidence is going to be affected by that, and I think it absolutely makes sense to keep him involved at international level and give him the time training with the rest of the squad and continuing to feel part of it, so that when it's time for him to slot back into the team, he will be ready for it.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Gilmour is still likely to have a huge future as a Scotland player, he's too talented not to, and so it would be fairly short-sighted to completely jettison him at this point just because he's having a rough patch at club level. His confidence is going to be affected by that, and I think it absolutely makes sense to keep him involved at international level and give him the time training with the rest of the squad and continuing to feel part of it, so that when it's time for him to slot back into the team, he will be ready for it.

We both agree on the talent of gilmour and his future in the squad. I dont think anyone is suggesting we completely jettison him.

Im on the fence with it. But if hes going to be selected it should be on the basis that hes the best player available for that position in the squad right now.

Not on how it might effect his feelings. Its complete conjecture anyway, being dropped from the Scotland squad may have the exact opposite effect and he knuckles down coming back stronger.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I wasn't really trying to be argumentative, genuinely interested in who people think would be better for the squad.

josh campbell deserves a chance. He's been a boss for Hibs. Either that or it might be worth considering bringing back John Fleck.

On 10/04/2023 at 14:13, Bairnardo said:

I'm not sure why the issue of trust keeps coming up. There's a talent thing. Billy Gilmour has a particular set of skills and a level of potential that Steve Clarke only has limited capacity to nurture. He cannot risk playing him from the start over players who are performing at club level, but he is including him in squads because that's as much as Clarke can really do to assist Gilmours development and try and help him improve his situation.

Clarke is doing a good thing for a good player. 

Aye ok Liam Neeson 

3 hours ago, NickMcG said:

Last two rounds of competitive matches, too.  I just hope his career gets back on track and gets a move abroad.  I still predict that he won't be in the next squad if he doesn't have anything more than time-wasting minutes at the end of a match.

Its been said quite a few times and I couldn't agree more. Gilmour is suited to maybe the Spanish league. He just needs to get the chance and a manager that believes in him and he will get back on track.

This thread is wild. A genuine debate about whether Gilmour should drop out of our squad - before the last double header I probably would have had him starting in the first 11 ahead of McTominay! Gilmour should remain in the squad, if we had someone better or at least comparable dropping him would be understandable but we don't so we shouldn't.

On 14/04/2023 at 08:37, NickMcG said:

It's not that he isn't a good player (we all know he is). It's that he's not playing for his club.  I don't like the term but his 'match-fitness' not important?

Was there not a period of about two years where Alan Hutton was barely getting a game for his club but was still a nailed on starter for us?

21 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Was there not a period of about two years where Alan Hutton was barely getting a game for his club but was still a nailed on starter for us?

but Hutton had been a regular at club level before he was dropped (by Spurs?) for best part of a season. Gilmour has barely strung together two successive club starts.