Billy Gilmour

Kuro

1 hour ago, Chewing Taffies said:

I have genuinely lost track of Gilmours progress. I know he wasn't getting much game time but it now looks like he isn't even making the squad most weeks. Is he injured?

Yes, he’s been injured. 

2 hours ago, Chewing Taffies said:

But called up for Scotland squad. Strange

He was only out of the Brighton squad for 2 games. Seems to be back again, Brighton Twitter page had pictures of the injured players back in training and he was in there.

Not even on the bench today against Grimsby in the cup, is he still out injured? 

Between that and pretty much just a handful of minutes in the past 8 months, is his call up a total waste of a squad spot when someone else could have come along for the experience?

6 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

Not even on the bench today against Grimsby in the cup, is he still out injured? 

Between that and pretty much just a handful of minutes in the past 8 months, is his call up a total waste of a squad spot when someone else could have come along for the experience?

I'm not sure if he's injured to be honest but he was in the matchday squad last Wednesday to face Crystal Palace. Steve Clarke addressed the idea of players called up that maybe haven't earned it and I assume Billy Gilmour could be considered as one of the players he was talking about.

There's one or two in the squad that maybe I've been a little bit loyal too to bring them in and keep them involved in it and I think that's important because the ones that I'm speaking about will be a big part of the Scotland squad moving forward I hope. 

Steve Clarke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjB7h21cwi4

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Gilmour and Patterson get called up because we don’t have any depth.

Who would replace them in the squad?

Yeah I'd rather we stick with the young and obvious talents rather than calling up some journeyman just because they are getting regular gametime.

Surprised not to have seen some suggesting we get young Hayden Hackney at Middlesbrough in to replace Billy Gilmour. 😅

Both have a brilliant passing range. Both players are able to run the show and can be the metronome of the team. The way they receive the ball, their first touch and short passing game are wonderful to watch, both are ridiculously composed in high-pressure situations and are happy to receive and progress the ball at all times, constantly scanning so as to stay a step ahead with their passing and movement. 👀

Just for old times sake. This was said about BG at the height of the hysteria.

On 02/07/2021 at 17:40, AMMjag said:

We only need him to be better than Kenny McLean and Callum McGregor to improve our first team, and he already is. He will improve with a full season playing for a weaker team in a strong league, and then he will be at Chelsea or a level not too far off that the following season. If we're hoping for him to be a world class option or close, he's well on the right track.

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Gilmour and Patterson get called up because we don’t have any depth.

Who would replace them in the squad?

I'd like to see Allan Campbell given more of a shot. Plays a lot of minutes for Luton and impressed in his short Scotland run out previously.

1 minute ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Gilmour isn’t keeping anyone of note out of the squad.

Disappointing. Our golden generation is over and all they managed of note was 1 point from a Euro campaign.

Aye but it will be forever remembered as the 1 point against England at Wembley!

So very disappointing but if you don’t play on a regular basis in the top leagues then you won’t improve.

It's quite unusual the extent to which Scotland fans have invested in Billy Gilmour as a player. It never happened to quite the same extent with Nathan Patterson or Aaron Hickey for example who are equally good young footballers in my opinion which I never really understood. They get left alone but BG is subject to hero worship that impacted negatively on his career. 

Anyone reading this thread recently would think it was the opposite of hero worship, people seem desperate to bring him down at every opportunity.

I don't know why he wasn't involved yesterday, nobody on this forum does. As he was on the bench in the last league game it seems likely to me it was injury or illness.

If it persists that he's not in the squad and no pronouncement is made regarding the above, then it is time to be a bit worried and this season will end up a write off for him.

Until then, chill yourselves. You'll live longer.

44 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's quite unusual the extent to which Scotland fans have invested in Billy Gilmour as a player. It never happened to quite the same extent with Nathan Patterson or Aaron Hickey for example who are equally good young footballers in my opinion which I never really understood. They get left alone but BG is subject to hero worship that impacted negatively on his career. 

He was marked as a top prospect really early on, was at one of the best academies in the world (winning PotY one season), broke through at a much higher level than those two and is better technically than anyone we've had in God knows how long. There was a spell where every single one of his (limited) club appearances was top notch and that was before he turned 20. Not to mention a bunch of good Scotland performances. 

Hickey also got a lot of hype despite never being as eye-catching as Gilmour, and Patterson's early-season performances were praised quite a bit. 

The lad has clearly been badly advised by either his Family or his Agent..the Move to Brighton was too good to be true and he has wasted yet another season and stuck at a Club with a Management Team that have zero intention of giving him opportunities.  It is a shame as he offers so much but think he is destined to end up being a nearly was unless he can find the right club to shine at.