Billy Gilmour

Kuro

Reading about RLC and Gilmour:
This weekend one of them was outstanding while scoring a ripper in a winning team in the FA Cup Semi, the other was not in the first 11 of a team in the bottom three.
It’s mid April now and it’s fair to say this season hasn’t worked for Billy at club level, let’s hope next season does.
Personally I think coming back to Rangers on loan might be good for him. Surely starting every game and European football, then back for another shot at the EPL in 2023.

Reading about RLC and Gilmour:
This weekend one of them was outstanding while scoring a ripper in a winning team in the FA Cup Semi, the other was not in the first 11 of a team in the bottom three.
It’s mid April now and it’s fair to say this season hasn’t worked for Billy at club level, let’s hope next season does.
Personally I think coming back to Rangers on loan might be good for him. Surely starting every game and European football, then back for another shot at the EPL in 2023.
Elephant in the room: RLC is six years older, has less caps than BG, and has been generally meh in terms of career trajectory. Great goal indeed, but I don't really see anything that makes a comparison of their current situations relevant.

Elephant in the room: RLC is six years older, has less caps than BC, and has been generally meh in terms of career trajectory. Great goal indeed, but I don't really see anything that makes a comparison of their current situations relevant.

Me neither, but plenty of comparisons in this thread. One is getting a game for Chelsea and the other isn’t getting a start for Norwich is as far as the comparison goes, I guess.

At the end of the day If you're making a comparison between Billy Gilmour and other players that have come through underwhelming loan spells to make the point that it won't define a players entire career then it tells you all you need to know about how Cliff's time at Norwich has gone. Nuff said. 😉

I don't think it's a massive surprise he didn't start given Norwich won their last game when he was ill, but when they were chasing the game they brought him on and I think it's likely he will start the next match. Smith clearly rates him very highly, as does every manager he has worked with except maybe Farke.

The reason RLC and Barkley are still at Chelsea is that nobody wanted them in the summer (or loan or permanently) whereas Gilmour was in high demand. There is no doubt, according to Tuchel, Gilmour was rated ahead of both of these internationals (plus Gallagher) at the start of the season. Will he be at the start of next season? I expect so, Gilmour has a much higher ceiling than RLC - a 26 year old who is still very much a squad player for Chelsea.

Still, fascinating Scottish football fans will have a go at him for a guy 6 years senior scoring a goal in the FA cup whilst he gets regular first team football at another EPL club. Had Gilmour stayed at Chelsea, I'm confident he would have got more minutes than either RLC or Barkley. 

RLC wasn't brought up to be a direct comparison, even at Chelsea they are very different players not even really competing against each other (with one far ahead, and a lot younger). Rather the point was that RLC had a horrific loan spell at Fulham (at a much older age than Gilmour) and is still getting minutes for Chelsea. Gilmours loan spell at Norwich is going far better than RLCs and there's little doubt for me he will continue getting minutes for Chelsea.

He won't be a 26 year old getting the occasional minutes off the bench though, he's far too good for that, that's for the likes of Chalobah / RLC / Barkley but not Gilmour.

And despite the obsession of some, I expect there is pretty much 0 chance he will go to Rangers, he will be staying at Chelsea and getting game time (like Tuchel wanted for this season) other EPL club or club on the continent (top division of one of the top 4 leagues). Most likely for me is a second loan to a better EPL club. I'm happy to bet money with anyone that thinks he's going to Rangers.

Edited by Satoshi

5 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Rather the point was that RLC had a horrific loan spell at Fulham (at a much older age than Gilmour) and is still getting minutes for Chelsea. Gilmours loan spell at Norwich is going far better than RLCs

• Ruben Loftus Cheek played 1912 minutes from an available 2,880 for Fulham (66.4%)
  • Cliff has played 1,526 minutes from an available 2,340 for Norwich City (65.2%)

It's a stretch to say that Cliff's loan to Norwich is going better than Ruben Loftus Cheeks loan to Fulham.

Edited by 2426255

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2021-04-27-ruben-loftus-cheek-has-been-a-colossal-failure/

This from a guy 5.5 years older than Gilmour going on loan at age 24.

Billy Gilmour won't be going anywhere on loan when he's 24, but on the off chance he does (and gets called a colossal failure) Ill happily admit I was wrong.

Not to rail on RLC, he's a decent player and for all I know a good enough guy, he just isn't good enough to be a regular at Chelsea and the start of the season no club was willing to take him on. He might carve a Diaby/Silvestre/Wes Brown/John O'Shea like career of appearing 10-20 games for a bigger club for a few years and then disappearing.

Gilmour is destined for bigger and better things.

RLC competes with Barkely and Drinkwater at Chelsea and is beating them - kudos to him.

I watched his minutes against MU last night and thought he was decent enough. Couple of really good passes, plenty of nice one-touch stuff but did have a bad set-piece and a shite pass towards the end so I suppose that's enough for Norwich fans to explode.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

I suppose not everyone has several hours spare in the day to spend rewatching Norwich games and creating cool spreadsheets.

That's my point in a nutshell - In my view Satoshi's arguments in general would be better served if he had the time or inclination to take a first hand look rather than forming an opinion based on 2nd hand accounts.

I watched the first half of the Heart-Hibs game on Saturday afternoon, but was listening BBC Radio Scotland's coverage as the audio and I found it amazing how different my perception of the game would have been if I had only the Radio to base my view on.

Re-watching games is really informative too, because you miss so much detail on a first viewing - There is too much going on to focus on everything. It's a bit like replaying a film or a song - you notice things you failed to pick up on first time round.

Edited by 2426255

15 minutes ago, velo army said:

Norwich were doing fine and were on course for a crucial point, and perhaps three. Smith brings Gilmour on and they concede a losing goal shortly after.

Tells me all I need to know. 

Hmmm. Inconclusive. I'd need to see a spreadsheet of all of Cristiano Ronaldos goals versus what Billy Gilmour was doing at the time to be sure we can DEFINITELY write him off. 

35 minutes ago, velo army said:

Norwich were doing fine and were on course for a crucial point, and perhaps three. Smith brings Gilmour on and they concede a losing goal shortly after.

Tells me all I need to know. 

No, that's a very good point - perhaps it was more the psychological impact of having Cliff on the park. I'll have to study that further.