Billy Gilmour

Kuro

On 23/03/2023 at 09:07, ahemps said:

Celtic and Rangers are awful at developing talent and have to take a look at themselves for this. They play in a non competitive league where they have a huge opportunity to give kids playing time but they choose not too. Ajax and Benfica are in the exact same scenario in that they are in a 2-3 horse race but manage to develop talent at an impressive rate, the teams they compete with Porto, Sporting, PSV and Feyenoord also do a good job of this. The OF could play 1-2 youths every home game (except against each other) and still win comfortably and probably do the same away from home as well. They could be giving game time to many and finding a few diamonds but they absolutely fail in this regard.

Absolutely spot on, yet they hoover up talent at youth level, stifling the development of youngsters. They'll argue that it's down to not having B Teams in the league, pish, it's down to their own internal systems.  

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Let's be clear - Binos is not a Scotland fan.

He despises the national team, and every post he makes is critical.

Absolutely no chance he is a foreigner taking the piss, this is very much self hatred. It seeps from his every pore, he absolutely doesn't want Scotland to do well and is delighted when the team or any player does badly or doesn't play.

I can only imagine it's a drastically sad life to live.

Or course, back in reality, England have an excellent claim to being footballs greatest underachievers. They have a manager who complains publicly about the chronic lack of domestic players in the top division which gets worse every year.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64988328

No football nation in their right mind wants to emulate them.

Wales, meanwhile, who Scotland have a 63% win ratio against and have qualified for 7 more world cups, are back to having a crap squad again after a few years in the sun. They are better at us in football, in the same way we are better than them in rugby (very temporarily and totally against long term historical trends).

I checked the year age (not the month) but fine. Hansen's career by Gilmours age was far less distinguished - there's no doubt about that.

Not that it really matters anyway, the whole thing was about not writing Gilmour off at a young age.

Football has completely changed since the 80s. The same fantasists who wish things were like back in the good ol' days would say the same about the 60s when they were in the 80s.

It's complete pish and totally irrelevant to the current national team.

There is a valid discussion in saying that players should have lots of senior games at a lower level before moving to a big club. That argument can go either way, the most successful small nations like Uruguay and Croatia intentionally produce players for top level European football rather than their (relatively poor) domestic leagues. Id actually rather Scotland did that but having a mixture of both works too.

McGinn has had a fantastic few weeks, previously dismissed as just a Smith (then Gerrard) favourite he has unsurprisingly made a huge impact under Emery too, even being singled out on MOTD recently.

That receives zero posts on this forum, Gilmour doesn't make the bench in a cup game (for unknown reasons) and this thread melts down into things were better in ma day denialism.

Football and life moves on, deal with it. Gilmour has plenty of time to make good on his potential. I hope he starts against Cyprus, will be his kind of game.

Weesht

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

Our young players don't get game time and don't develop 

Lowry at rangers latest example 

That's why we don't produce players anymore 

There is rumours that Lowry's attitude needs a bit of work before he starts getting game time again.

11 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

There is rumours that Lowry's attitude needs a bit of work before he starts getting game time again.

He's played a handful of games

He'll stick around till 24 at his boyhood club

Then leave get regular games and come good circa 27, get a few caps then fizzle out,  another one lost

All these names of the past were playing full seasons 19-24 and learning,  getting better, the only way you can at football,  by playing 

Edited by Binos

10 minutes ago, Binos said:

He's played a handful of games

He'll stick around till 24 at his boyhood club

Then leave get regular games and come good circa 27, get a few caps then fizzle out,  another one lost

All these names of the past were playing full seasons 19-24 and learning,  getting better, the only way you can at football,  by playing 

I remember Lovenkrands speaking about how young Rangers players are happy to just stay at the club but in Denmark young people are keen to leave and go out on adventure. He thought it was strange that young Scottish people just stay at home.

53 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I remember Lovenkrands speaking about how young Rangers players are happy to just stay at the club but in Denmark young people are keen to leave and go out on adventure. He thought it was strange that young Scottish people just stay at home.

I think there's an element of that, and you remedy it by focusing on developing the person, as opposed to just their footballing ability. I've always felt in Scotland we should push our kids to go out and explore, see and live in the world rather than just this little corner or Britain. Does seem to be more common with this group however.

7 hours ago, Binos said:

Lowry has been injured the vast majority of this season, that's why he hasn't played.

30 minutes ago, NickMcG said:

Is there an 'attitude' question with Gilmour? I imagine there isn't or Clarke wouldn't bring him . I get that young players are sometimes brought for experience but he was a nailed-on starter a year ago.

He'll almost certainly play no part against Spain and won't get much game time at Brighton this season. 

I don’t think so, most stuff I’ve read usually praises his attitude. As you say, Clarke wouldn’t include him in the squad at all if he did.

He’s just currently behind better players at Brighton so is behind players who have more experience and match fitness for Scotland atm. 

On 24/03/2023 at 14:02, BingMcCrosby said:

I'd wager its an eminently sadder life thinking every person that disagrees with you about trivial matters such as football must hate themself.

It's not everyone who disagrees with me, just a poster who only ever posts negatively about the national team.

Absolute minter for you to be defending him though, he will he laughing like f**k at you as he doesn't even try to hide who he is. An actual Scotland fan defending someone who only ever attacks the national team and players? Wow, that's some boot licking stuff right there.

Maybe best to go back to pretending to not read my posts.

On 24/03/2023 at 14:37, RandomGuy. said:

Scottish footballers were better, but they also had an easier route to top club, in the past. Thats how ive always seen it.

So they were better in every decade or only some?

It seems clear to me that the quality of our players increases and decreases in cycles - like every national team on earth.

There's nothing intrinsic about the 30s or 70s being better than the 2010s.

You could argue that most nations are far better than they have ever been due to a more diverse squad - look at France or England. Sadly isn't particularly benefitting Scotland due to the UK not permitting regionalised immigration.

On 24/03/2023 at 17:04, NickMcG said:

I think comparing where Gilmour is to other top players when they were his age somewhat misses the point. I'm comparing Gilmour to where he was on 2021. 

It misses the point for you comparing him to 2021, but not if you are comparing him to his peers.

On 24/03/2023 at 18:53, Binos said:

Weesht

Have you ever made a positive post about Scotland?

The Cyprus victory must have cut you deep.

On 24/03/2023 at 18:56, Binos said:

😂

Never mind, look at all those wonderful young Welsh, Irish and Hungarian players.

On 26/03/2023 at 08:04, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Gilmour’s development is coming along very well. Another 90 minutes on the bench today.

Clarke is just bedding him in.

Good Scotland victory and a usual suspect finding a way to attack our players.

No surprise at all.

14 hours ago, NickMcG said:

Is there an 'attitude' question with Gilmour? I imagine there isn't or Clarke wouldn't bring him . I get that young players are sometimes brought for experience but he was a nailed-on starter a year ago.

He'll almost certainly play no part against Spain and won't get much game time at Brighton this season. 

There have never been any concerns regarding Gilmours attitude.

15 hours ago, NickMcG said:

I doubt there's any attitude issues, all you here is praise for his attitude from managers and other players. But who can really say what goes on behind closed doors with any certainty.

Unfortunately that will be the case regarding his appearances. We will get an idea in the summer where he stands at Brighton. If they sell a few players it depends who they bring in really as to wether he can become a first choice next season.

Given we now know that Billy Gilmour didn't get any game time over the international window it made me wonder if it would've been better to have let him stay at Brighton and work with De Zerbi in the same way that Steve Clarke did when he left Lewis Ferguson out of the September squad to impress the manager at Bologna.

All of the players who didn't get any game time for Scotland that aren't injured are regulars at their clubs except for Gilmour. 

image.png.86a8d3863ba1e7aaa1adb2c298e6ff45.png

Edited by 2426255

Caciedo and Macalister are meant to be the two keeping him out the team aren't they? Both subbed off tonight, but Gilmour didn't get off the bench. Ayari who came on for Caciedo was making his Brighton debut as well.. is that someone else that Gilmour is now behind?

He'll be crossing his fingers that some club comes in for De Zerbi pretty quickly and Brighton go back in for Potter, otherwise that much mooted loan move to Rangers must be looking pretty appealing just to get some game time...

Is a player with one appearance suddenly ahead on him?

Who knows what is going on behind the scenes, but it seems likely he will be moving on loan in the summer.

And it likely won't be to Rangers or the championship, he can do better.

Not going to worry too much, far too much negativity around our players as it is.

It’s definitely a concern, from a Scotland point of view we're fortunate we have McGregor, McTominay, McGinn who are all better than Gilmour in that deeper lying role but I still like the McGregor/Gilmour combination against weaker teams especially. We can afford to wait on Gilmour but there's not a huge amount of emerging talent at centre mid so hopefully this summer he goes somewhere that he's going to get games. It doesn't look like that's going to be Brighton even if Mac Allister leaves.