Billy Gilmour

Kuro

I think he's very  lucky to be in the squad given how little football he's played this season. Someone like Allan Campbell, who is playing week in week out at the top end Championship for Luton, would have been a better inclusion IMO. 

45 minutes ago, troopio said:

The lad has clearly been badly advised by either his Family or his Agent..the Move to Brighton was too good to be true and he has wasted yet another season and stuck at a Club with a Management Team that have zero intention of giving him opportunities.  It is a shame as he offers so much but think he is destined to end up being a nearly was unless he can find the right club to shine at.

Tbh I think he was a bit unlucky with potter moving so soon. Not sure it would have gone much better tho as his competition for a place is so strong.

Hes still only 21 tho. I dont imagine there's any plan for Brighton to not play him. More likely he's not as physically developed as many would have hoped.

But next season it could all change for him. I still believe he could go very very far, but just needs the games and trust and development on his end to get there. Technically he's still our best midfielder, just needs the form behind him to show this.

Players are always going to have people who support them and people who detract from them. Thats the life of a footballer and what you would expect to find on a forum.

Theres absolutely nothing to suggest that praise or detraction have had any effect on his career. Maybe he's reading this but for his sake I hope not.

Probably the abuse he got from Norwich fans wasn't good for him. But an opinion on a forum? Its far fetched or all players would be nervous wrecks.

Not sure why anyone would get in such a state as to get themselves banned over others opinions.

2 hours ago, troopio said:

The lad has clearly been badly advised by either his Family or his Agent..the Move to Brighton was too good to be true and he has wasted yet another season and stuck at a Club with a Management Team that have zero intention of giving him opportunities.  It is a shame as he offers so much but think he is destined to end up being a nearly was unless he can find the right club to shine at.

There’s a case to be made that he’d have got more game time staying at Chelsea.

That being said, nobody was to know Potter - the guy who clearly did rate him - would move and the new guy would be someone who didn’t.

Edited by Savage Henry

19 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Tbh I think he was a bit unlucky with potter moving so soon. Not sure it would have gone much better tho as his competition for a place is so strong.

Hes still only 21 tho. I dont imagine there's any plan for Brighton to not play him. More likely he's not as physically developed as many would have hoped.

But next season it could all change for him. I still believe he could go very very far, but just needs the games and trust and development on his end to get there. Technically he's still our best midfielder, just needs the form behind him to show this.

Players are always going to have people who support them and people who detract from them. Thats the life of a footballer and what you would expect to find on a forum.

Theres absolutely nothing to suggest that praise or detraction have had any effect on his career. Maybe he's reading this but for his sake I hope not.

Probably the abuse he got from Norwich fans wasn't good for him. But an opinion on a forum? Its far fetched or all players would be nervous wrecks.

Not sure why anyone would get in such a state as to get themselves banned over others opinions.

I agree with this. You get the feeling that the experience at Norwich meant he pushed for a permanent transfer rather than accept another loan. The timing of the Brighton move was unfortunate in that Potter moved on so quickly but also the fact that he missed the full pre-season so has always been playing catchup in a team that is doing incredibly well this year.

27 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That being said, nobody was to know Potter - the guy who clearly did rate him - would move and the new guy would be someone who didn’t.

It was reported that Boehly knew Potter would move, and he tried to tell Gilmour as much. 

It was rumoured that Boehly asked him to wait and see what was happening with Tuchel. Considering Gilmour left as the transfer window shut hanging around waiting for the manager to be sacked and somebody else to be appointed when he hadn't been given a squad number seems like a bit of a gamble.

Many transfers made these days at EPL level are a group decision made depending on what formation/tactics/etc are to be utilised across all areas of the club.

Thereby the head coach is only a small part of the decision process.

The idea being that if the head coach departs the players in the squad/academy are going to be available for a new coach to use in the system devised in the club. 

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Tbh I don’t think he’d have got much game time at Chelsea either. Even if Potter does like him and wanted him for Brighton, he would have had more time there than he’d get at Chelsea because they are very much a club that want immediate results and won’t give much time for players to learn. More so now they have bought in about a million players as well.

I think the main issue for Gilmour at Brighton now is that De Zerbi has been almost too successful. He’s lifted them a level from when Potter was there and now are also in a place where they also have less ability to allow players to learn on the job, because they think they have a great shot at the FA Cup and at Europe. That means not losing. 

They have brought through one or two players, like Ferguson, but that’s because his main competition is Welbeck who is shit. It’s a bit harder replacing Caicedo and Mac Allister.

Edited by Jambomo

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Then the player himself has been a bit daft, if that is the case. 

This was pretty much confirmed at the time.

Gilmour backed himself and forced the move against Chelseas wishes.

It's been a bit stop start since but still plenty of time to go.

As a counterpoint to everything going on in this bomb scare of a thread - Brighton's recruitment has been so fantastic that they have signed all these young players no one has heard of before (Mitoma, Mac Allistair, Caicedo and Ferguson all having breakout seasons) and yet Gilmour is a write off? 

I think it's more likely than not that he is in the right club to develop a young player, but will just need to bide his time a little longer. 

He's been very unfortunate this season, brighton probably having their best ever season, they're not going to change a winning team.

he's been injured aswell, would most likely have played in the FA cup the other night.

You can't deny the talent he has, i'm sure he'll get his chance again, as others have said the brighton team will be dismantled this season i'd imagine.

if not though he might drop down to championship and be the main man for a team. Look at Barry Bannan , run the show for Sheffield wednesday for years now.  

and i have no issue with Scotland playing him without club games, we've done it plenty of times before with likes of Hutton. He's rarely not turned up in scotland games.  

1 hour ago, PrestersKTID said:

He's been very unfortunate this season, brighton probably having their best ever season, they're not going to change a winning team.

he's been injured aswell, would most likely have played in the FA cup the other night.

You can't deny the talent he has, i'm sure he'll get his chance again, as others have said the brighton team will be dismantled this season i'd imagine.

if not though he might drop down to championship and be the main man for a team. Look at Barry Bannan , run the show for Sheffield wednesday for years now.  

and i have no issue with Scotland playing him without club games, we've done it plenty of times before with likes of Hutton. He's rarely not turned up in scotland games.  

You make sensible points but really cannot see it. It seems they have given everyone more chances than him, he plays a game and is then out again, he has not been given a chance to get a run of games and even if they are raided as someone else has stated he will still be overlooked probably.

3 hours ago, NickMcG said:

I still think he's very lucky to be in the squad this time round especially as he didn't get any game time last time round so Clarke currently doesn't rate him that highly.  Without playing time for his club, this should be the last time he's in.

He started the last game against Turkey.

4 hours ago, NickMcG said:

I still think he's very lucky to be in the squad this time round especially as he didn't get any game time last time round so Clarke currently doesn't rate him that highly.  Without playing time for his club, this should be the last time he's in.

The fact he is in the squad means Clarke rates him highly. He’s said in an interview he’s stuck by him and Patterson because he believes they will be massive players for us for a long time to come. 

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The fact he is in the squad means Clarke rates him highly. He’s said in an interview he’s stuck by him and Patterson because he believes they will be massive players for us for a long time to come. 

We hardly have a wealth of talent coming through.

Mainly because the biggest two clubs and most of the other top flight teams play “non-Scots”?

I would love to see a restriction on the number of non-Scots in our game but there is zero chance of that happening as the big two are so focused on the financial rewards on offer in Champions League. 

Edited by Molotov

22 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Or because the biggest two clubs and most of the other top flight teams play “non-Scots”?

We hardly have a wealth of talent coming through. I would love to see a restriction on the number of non-Scots in our game but there is zero chance of that happening as the big two are so focused on the financial rewards on offer in Champions League. 

I think we do have a lot of talent coming through, it’s just they don’t develop in Scotland. They are going to England or abroad and progressing better there. 

I do agree that the focus on Celtic and Rangers, especially in the champions league has long contributed to ruining our league,  but the football here isn’t really good enough to develop players from kids into outstanding players. I don’t think it’s got much to do with foreign players, it has more to do with lack of money, a lack of competition overall and too much variance of the standard of teams in the league.

I honestly think it’s a good thing our kids are moving to Italy, England etc they get better training and more competitive environment.