Billy Gilmour

Kuro

5 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Except I've never said he's doing great, you just made that up. I said he's doing fine, and he clearly is. That's two basic errors in a row after the howler about his minutes this season, probably best you don't accuse others of not knowing about football.

If these posters are so concerned about Gilmour, the manager and player don't seem to be. He could have easily gotten guaranteed minutes in another league (Spain or Italy for example). Would that be better? He could play every minute for Preston or Rangers but that clearly isn't as good as learning and developing at Brighton.

I'm not surprised you don't read or respond to my posts, you wouldn't be able to. You just aren't capable of it, and you seem to recognise this now so don't even try.

Playing is always better than not playing 

20 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Except I've never said he's doing great, you just made that up. I said he's doing fine, and he clearly is. That's two basic errors in a row after the howler about his minutes this season, probably best you don't accuse others of not knowing about football.

If these posters are so concerned about Gilmour, the manager and player don't seem to be. He could have easily gotten guaranteed minutes in another league (Spain or Italy for example). Would that be better? He could play every minute for Preston or Rangers but that clearly isn't as good as learning and developing at Brighton.

I'm not surprised you don't read or respond to my posts, you wouldn't be able to. You just aren't capable of it, and you seem to recognise this now so don't even try.

Absolutely it would be better for him to be playing regular league football in Spain or Italy rather  than playing a cup game every 6 weeks and getting a minute here and there in the league for Brighton. 

Personally also think he would be better  playing every week in the championship than doing next to nothing at Brighton. 

Also out of interest who is the other midfielder who is doing better?

Edited by dundeefc1783

Just now, Satoshi said:

Ok I will simplify further for you.

Gilmour not playing = ☹️

Your posts = 💩

27 minutes ago, Binos said:

Playing is always better than not playing 

So playing every minute in amateur football is better for your development than being a squad player at Brighton?

An absolutely wild take.

19 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Absolutely it would be better for him to be playing regular league football in Spain or Italy rather  than playing a cup game every 6 weeks and getting a minute here and there in the league for Brighton. 

Personally also think he would be better  playing every week in the championship than doing next to nothing at Brighton. 

Also out of interest who is the other midfielder who is doing better?

Not according to Gilmour. And it seems to have worked okay for MacAllister and Caicedo.

That's a recurring theme in Gilmours career - he's ballsy and backs himself. He's happy to learn and fight for his place at Brighton, not take the easy option of guaranteed football at some shite team like Rangers or in the championship. He knows he's too good for it. That's why he defined Boehly and pushed Tuchel to loan him out to Norwich when Tuchel publicly wanted him to stay at Chelsea.

That's probably why he gets so much stick on this thread, the Scottish mentality is to play it safe, accept you're not all that and take no risks.

Gilmour knew for a fact he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter at Brighton but went for it anyway. MacAllister and Caicedo didn't become the players they are taking the safe route either. It is why I'm confident Gilmour will have a good top flight career.

Jacob Ramsey is the only similarly aged midfielder with more appearances (like Laiva and Onana he's quite a different style to Gilmour too - more physical, less of a playmaker). Adam Lallana is stylistically a bit closer, he was in league one at Gilmours age.

14 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Ok I will simplify further for you.

Gilmour not playing = ☹️

Your posts = 💩

You don't have the knowledge or intellectual capacity to respond to the content of my posts so instead use childish emojis.

You're a teenager, right? No adult would behave in such a way.

By a quick look around transfer market both Jacob Ramsey and Curtis Jones are similar age to Gilmour and have more appearances. Moses Caciedo is about 17 appearances behind BG but only played 300  minutes less , given he plays every week and is about 6 months younger he will soon overtake Gilmour. 

There are also other numerous players in la Liga, Bundesliga etc who are younger and played a lot more games than Gilmour. 

I think after the initial break through with Chelsea/Scotland there can be little debate that his career has stalled somewhat recently. Hopefully he can soon get it back on track.

In my opinion any judgement on his move to Brighton is just as premature as judgements casting Billy Gilmour as the next big thing when he was standing out with Chelsea and Scotland. Drawing general conclusions based on a limited information is an issue with knee-jerk reactions.

56 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

So playing every minute in amateur football is better for your development than being a squad player at Brighton?

An absolutely wild take.

He's not going to sign for irvine meadow is he

But playing at the next level down rather than warming the bench would be better for him yes

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Would it help if I started a FM game with Brighton and played him a lot, then posted Mr Die Zebra some print outs of the results? Will delete this if they are not good 

If you’d like, I’ll start a game with Brighton and chuck him in the reserves. Use it as a control case. That way we can compare results and really get to the bottom of it.

15 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

If you’d like, I’ll start a game with Brighton and chuck him in the reserves. Use it as a control case. That way we can compare results and really get to the bottom of it.

Ok, done. He has a 7.7 rating in my first pre season game against Telstar so it's very promising so far

I still think overall that he’s in a better place than he was at Chelsea. Although his game time is limited at the moment, it’s understandable when you can see who is in front of him and he is closer to playing in the first team than he would have been at a Chelsea. They don’t take time or have the patience to really develop players and will usually buy them in.

I think De Zerbi does like him as a player but goes for experience in the league, which is kind of understandable. He’s spoken more than once about wanting to find him more game time and so I could see that if a loan did happen, it might be more with a view to get him playing time rather than a permanent move away - I get the sense he’s in their plans overall. It’s likely Caicedo and Mac Alister might move on in the summer, so that’ll be the best time to see where he is.

De Zerbi is talked about as being really, really good at developing players, so I don’t see the time at Brighton as being wasted, though obviously it would be better if he played more. 

14 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Sometimes you have to think outside the box 📦

I wish we lived in the original Championship Manager.

IIRC, you could completely break the game playing something like a 1-1-8 formation, like they did back in the 19th century. What a world.

4 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Someone beat you to it

9E115EA4-C7C5-47E2-9EDD-7A776EACF698.jpeg

Player included in Celtgers squad looks good in the Scottish Premiership? Fucking shocked by that revelation. You could draft in literally anyone from Brighton and they'd be playing below their level.

Imagine going back in time forty years and telling Rangers fans that their club would be diddies in comparison to giants of British football like Brighton & Hove Albion, Bournemouth, or Brentford. Ooft. They'd probably blame Aberdeen and Dundee United for not spending enough.

3 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Im trying to help you, you should listen.

If you dont think gilmour is doing great. Then you agree he could be doing better.

So you agree with all the posters saying exactly this. So there's literally no point to any of your posts.

You're clearly not capable of taking part in this debate so please stop with trying to stay involved with this dreadful patter.

I said he's doing fine, of course he could be doing better. He could be doing far worse. His career since he came on the scene is pretty close to what I expected, and pretty much every prediction I have made on this thread about his career trajectory has come true.

2 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

By a quick look around transfer market both Jacob Ramsey and Curtis Jones are similar age to Gilmour and have more appearances. Moses Caciedo is about 17 appearances behind BG but only played 300  minutes less , given he plays every week and is about 6 months younger he will soon overtake Gilmour. 

There are also other numerous players in la Liga, Bundesliga etc who are younger and played a lot more games than Gilmour. 

I think after the initial break through with Chelsea/Scotland there can be little debate that his career has stalled somewhat recently. Hopefully he can soon get it back on track.

Yeah I didn't think of Curtis Jones, he has 9 more appearances than Gilmour. Which means he only has the third most appearances of a CM his age in the Premier League. "Doing terribly" indeed.

Caicedo was punted on loan in his first season at Brighton, but turned into an excellent player. I don't doubt Gilmour, who they purchased for more than double and put straight into the first team squad, will also develop into an excellent player at Brighton.

And yes, clearly there are other successful young central midfielders in Europe. Thanks for pointing this out! Gilmours trajectory hasn't been anywhere near as impressive as, say, Gavi or Bellingham or Pedri. He's a good young player, he might even become an excellent player, but there's clearly better central midfielders of his age in the world.

I don't think it's stalled, it's hit reality. Playmakers take more time to develop, one or two excellent appearances isn't enough to sustain a career. In the last two seasons Gilmour has played regularly in the Premier League and secured a big money move to another Premier League team, who have an excellent reputation for scouting and coaching, and seem to rate Gilmour highly (relative to how they treat other prospects they buy). 

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

In my opinion any judgement on his move to Brighton is just as premature as judgements casting Billy Gilmour as the next big thing when he was standing out with Chelsea and Scotland. Drawing general conclusions based on a limited information is an issue with knee-jerk reactions.

A reasonable conclusion from numbers. Even he is posting sensibly about Gilmour now, others should take note. Redemption comes to everyone who looks at the facts and not their panicky bias.

2 hours ago, Binos said:

He's not going to sign for irvine meadow is he

But playing at the next level down rather than warming the bench would be better for him yes

Well, it's good you quickly rowed back from "playing is always better than not playing". What a crazy statement that was!

If you think he would be better playing every week in the Championship that's a somewhat reasonable view. But it's not one that Gilmour holds (clearly), nor did Caicedo or MacAllister. Or countless other players. Virtually everyone on a Premier League bench could play more regularly at a lower level. They would rather be exposed to the best coaches, best facilities, and play occasionally against the best players - compared to every week in the vortex of the Championship. You seem a very play it safe guy, don't fight for your place and develop in the Premier League - just go to the team that promises to play you every week no matter what. If Gilmour had such a defeatist mindset he wouldn't have made it as far as he has.

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I still think overall that he’s in a better place than he was at Chelsea. Although his game time is limited at the moment, it’s understandable when you can see who is in front of him and he is closer to playing in the first team than he would have been at a Chelsea. They don’t take time or have the patience to really develop players and will usually buy them in.

I think De Zerbi does like him as a player but goes for experience in the league, which is kind of understandable. He’s spoken more than once about wanting to find him more game time and so I could see that if a loan did happen, it might be more with a view to get him playing time rather than a permanent move away - I get the sense he’s in their plans overall. It’s likely Caicedo and Mac Alister might move on in the summer, so that’ll be the best time to see where he is.

De Zerbi is talked about as being really, really good at developing players, so I don’t see the time at Brighton as being wasted, though obviously it would be better if he played more. 

Yeah, and De Zerbi has publicly praised him in the media and brings him on Premier League games.

If he really didn't rate him, as some mentalists think, he could easily punt him to the reserves.

If a loan move does happen this window, I think very unlikely, it will be because Gilmour is pushing for it - not Brighton. It makes no sense for Brighton to loan out their 13th or 14th best player. Although you've got to admire Gilmours ballsy spirit in his career moves, pushing for a loan move from Brighton now would be a big mistake IMO - he should stay where he is and develop. It worked for the two guys in front of him now.

10 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Ok but you denied saying he was doing great. So everyone is in agreement that he's not doing great currently.

What do you think is going wrong for him? Lack of game time maybe?

Lack of game time surely isn't an issue I mean he has made 5 premier league appearances this season already. 

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

Well, it's good you quickly rowed back from "playing is always better than not playing". What a crazy statement that was!

If you think he would be better playing every week in the Championship that's a somewhat reasonable view. 

andy robertsons move to hull did him wonders 

the young premier league players been moving to Germany to get games and develop 

Playing brings you on, bench warming sends you backwards