Billy Gilmour

Kuro

29 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Billy Gilmour has played only 12 minutes out of around 830 minutes of Premier League football since joining Brighton.

Compare that to Gavi. 

Well Gavi hasn’t played any minutes of premier league football. 

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

Anyone care to mention 20 year old (or younger) central midfielders with a higher % or starting games or minutes than Gilmour last season (or in the last few seasons)?

One springs to my mind, let's see what others can find.

He could easily start every week at a lower league (remember the dreadful predictions on this thread that he would go to Rangers or the championship?) Far better to continue at the highest level, even if it means less starts in the short term.

There could be a psychological study done on the sheer desperation some supposed Scotland fans have for him to fail. Why? How could it possibly benefit you? Do you just hate seeing other Scottish people succeed?

I know cultural cringe and self loathing is a big problem in Scottish culture but I never thought it was as bad as we have seen on this thread.

Edited by Satoshi

15 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Anyone care to mention 20 year old (or younger) central midfielders with a higher % or starting games or minutes than Gilmour last season (or in the last few seasons)?

One springs to my mind, let's see what others can find.

He could easily start every week at a lower league (remember the dreadful predictions on this thread that he would go to Rangers or the championship?) Far better to continue at the highest level, even if it means less starts in the short term.

There could be a psychological study done on the sheer desperation some supposed Scotland fans have for him to fail. Why? How could it possibly benefit you? Do you just hate seeing other Scottish people succeed?

I know cultural cringe and self loathing is a big problem in Scottish culture but I never thought it was as bad as we have seen on this thread.

It's becoming more and more of a possibility that he will sign for them. De Zerbi is the next one in a line of top managers who clearly don't rate him. 

What's more realistic for wee Billy at this stage? Playing against Ross County and St Mirren in the SPFL or becoming the next Modric?

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It's becoming more and more of a possibility that he will sign for them. De Zerbi is the next one in a line of top managers who clearly don't rate him. 

What's more realistic for wee Billy at this stage? Playing against Ross County and St Mirren in the SPFL or becoming the next Modric?

I honestly don't understand how you get bites 🤣

But satoshi will be on here with another page of facts and references that nobody cares about shortly im sure.

14 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Must have missed De Zerbi saying that (or indeed any manager saying that). You got any quotes? The only quotes I've seen is him praising Gilmour, and of course he started him for the recent league cup tie.

Both those scenarios look unlikely, most likely is that he ends up a good mid table EPL player (or other top 5 leagues). He's almost built for international football though, only injury or severe loss of form will stop him getting to 50 caps.

44 minutes ago, immcinto said:

MacAllister is starting for Argentina, worth £32m. Caicedo is Ecuador's star player, worth £38m. Isn't Gilmour status at Brighton exactly where you would expect it to be at this point? 

At the risk of kicking this dull inane thread off again, I'd say you are right. If he does seek an exit in January its a pretty poor show from Billy IMO. 

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Spain would be brilliant for Gilmour and Scotland. Start making a strong impression at a club like Celta Vigo and he may go on to even bigger things. If not, he'll at least develop even further technically.

According to reports its Villareal who are front runners, their sitting 9th 3 points outside the top 6. If he can get a regular game there it might be a really good move for him. Im not sure if I believe the story tho, but nobody knows what's happening behind the scenes.

• 2 weeks later...

Spain seems like the obvious choice for Gilmour at this stage of his career. I thought he should have tried to get a move there before he went to Brighton. With the focus more on passing and technique over physicality, he's far more likely to rack up starts in Li Liga which will help him develop more.

2 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

At this stage, Billy should be looking to emulate Ryan Gauld and squeeze as much cash out of this occupation while he still can. It's obviously not going to work out for him .

He could retire with a lot of money and invest in a couple of cheeky Nando's restaurants. Maybe get a job at Rangers as a scout or coach. Regale everyone with the story of when he was MOTM against England in 2021.
That sounds like a v. dece journey for him.

He strikes me as more of a European player than a Premier league player. In so much as he's more about technical ability and vision rather than the physicality that's so prevalent in British football. I always thought he'd do well in Italy but Spain would be a good move if he gets a decent team and game time. 

The 'physical' thing makes no sense.

Watch any age group with Scotland and unless it's an outright diddy opponent Scotland will be at a physical/athletic disadvantage.  Look at our national team and them think about what teams at the World Cup have the equivalent of guys like Taylor, Gilmour and Fraser in the squad? Our current best prospect is basically a turbo hobbit. Scotland has more wee players than any comparable nation and we likely will never have a Lewandoski, Patrick Schitck or Haaland type athletic forward or even a Harry Kane.

On 15/12/2022 at 13:42, BingMcCrosby said:

Gone a bit quiet regarding this move. Could be alot of rubbish to begin with.

If it does happen the Spanish league is the place for him to be appreciated.

Yeah, chance it might be. I wondered if it might be to give him game time rather than anything permanent. You can see with how well Mac Allister and Caicedo did at the World Cup they are quality players who will play if they are fit and so far seem to be fit more often than not.

There are lots of rumours about them leaving though, so maybe they just want Gilmour to get more games under his belt, and come back to pick up the position once one or both move on.

26 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The 'physical' thing makes no sense.

Watch any age group with Scotland and unless it's an outright diddy opponent Scotland will be at a physical/athletic disadvantage.  Look at our national team and them think about what teams at the World Cup have the equivalent of guys like Taylor, Gilmour and Fraser in the squad? Our current best prospect is basically a turbo hobbit. Scotland has more wee players than any comparable nation and we likely will never have a Lewandoski, Patrick Schitck or Haaland type athletic forward or even a Harry Kane.

make the "velocity" joke again, Gordon. Go on.

The average height of teams at the WC:

image.thumb.png.fb017cba3297bd76ab703fc6f6f9331f.png

At the Serbia or Israel play-off, around that time anyway, read that the Scotland average squad height was 1.83cm (will find the source) and that would put us in a comfortable position in the above chart - should we have qualified. Even if we had got pumped out in the first round, we could have pointed to that achievement. 

I recall that Hendry and Declan Gallagher were the tallest (around 1.95cm which is what, 6ft 4inches) and Fraser was the smallest. Don't think Gilmour was in the squad at the time but unlikely to bring the average height down by much and I believe he is slightly taller than Fraser.