Billy Gilmour

Kuro

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I can’t remember the specific comments you are referring to, I imagine some were hyperbolic. Your position above is fine, however I don’t think it is hugely hyperbolic to state that he might still become world class if he continues developing. 

That'll be why I've not said otherwise.

He does need to develop significantly though.  Last season unfolded disappointingly.

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not talking down the player.

I'm mocking those who I think have prematurely and excessively talked him up.

My self loathing isn't yet all embracing enough to require me to delude myself. 

You absolutely are.

You're not qualified to assess if the praise has been premature and excessive and as yet we don't know how he turned out so the jury is out anyway as he only just turned 21.

That's a shame.

The overhyping has been fierce. I'd have thought maybe people would learn from last season before starting up again with all this world class crap. Just see how it goes before making any grand proclamations.

Edited by 2426255

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The overhyping has been fierce. I'd have thought maybe people would learn from last season before starting up again with all this world class crap. Just see how it goes before making any grand proclamations.

It seems to be an emotional thing.  People who went overboard simply cannot let go.  They feel an absolute, all consuming need to still insist he's destined to be a world beater.  They somehow feel personally wedded to his fortunes.  It's bizarre.

if he really does go places in his career (as is still possible) it won't feel like a personal defeat for me.  It would be great for Scotland to have a real top level midfielder.

However, those who backed Gilmour big style last year, seem quite unable to admit even that things stalled a bit for him last season.  It's sort of fascinating.

There's absolutely no doubt that Gilmour is far ahead of many current world class midfielders at the same age (including, say, Modric, Jorginho and Kante).

He absolutely can be a top class player in future, no guarantee either way his target should be around 15 appearances this season.

I never thought he was a world class player, and whilst many self hating Scots were desperate for his loan spell at Norwich to be terminal to his career it of course wasn't. He apparently quite easily secured another top flight club, and pushed to leave to get more minutes. Good for him.

I'm not surprised at all he is the only Norwich player to still be making a living in top flight English football (along with Man Utd reservist Brandon williams). 

2 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

and whilst many self hating Scots...

Where does this rather silly language come from?

People saying "Steady on.  Give him a chance.  Let's see how he goes before we go nuts" are somehow consumed by self loathing?  I'm not convinced that such a stance can endure much scrutiny.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Where does this rather silly language come from?

People saying "Steady on.  Give him a chance.  Let's see how he goes before we go nuts" are somehow consumed by self loathing?  I'm not convinced that such a stance can endure much scrutiny.

If you're not a self hating Scot then the statement doesn't apply to you.

For those who thought Chelsea might let his contract run down or he might have to drop down to the championship / spfl? Yeah, maybe they should be having a word with themselves.

2 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

If you're not a self hating Scot then the statement doesn't apply to you.

For those who thought Chelsea might let his contract run down or he might have to drop down to the championship / spfl? Yeah, maybe they should be having a word with themselves.

Would that opinion about a footballer's career path really betray evidence of self loathing though?

It sounds like quite a leap is required to reach such a conclusion.

1 minute ago, ManBearPig said:

People who refuse to acknowledge any criticism of Billy Gilmour and those who seem desperate for him to fail, arguing of who is the bigger oddball.

I've not spotted anyone desperate for him to fail.  

Point these characters out to me.  I'd like a word.

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It seems to be an emotional thing.  People who went overboard simply cannot let go.  They feel an absolute, all consuming need to still insist he's destined to be a world beater.  They somehow feel personally wedded to his fortunes.  It's bizarre.

if he really does go places in his career (as is still possible) it won't feel like a personal defeat for me.  It would be great for Scotland to have a real top level midfielder.

However, those who backed Gilmour big style last year, seem quite unable to admit even that things stalled a bit for him last season.  It's sort of fascinating.

You're simply lying. Nobody has denied he has stagnated a bit. Literally not one person is guilty of the thing you are "fascinated" by. It's you that has the fixation not everybody else.

3 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

You're simply lying. Nobody has denied he has stagnated a bit. Literally not one person is guilty of the thing you are "fascinated" by. 

Apart from you of course, when you said this:

"If he can do that regularly that's a world class player. His potential is of that level. And nothing that has happened in his career so far indicates he won't fulfill his potential. Only to idiots like you does the last 18 months indicate that."