Billy Gilmour

Kuro

7 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Frozen out because he was likely to leave. As is common.

Tuchel literally played Gilmour two seasons ago and said publicly he wanted him to stay as part of his squad not go on loan.

Chelsea just terminated the contract of a midfielder they don't want. It wasn't Gilmour.

If he stays he will get games. If he goes he will get games. He will be just fine.

That’s not what happened. Give it up, man.

Staying at Chelsea would be a disaster. 

31 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Frozen out because he was likely to leave. As is common.

Tuchel literally played Gilmour two seasons ago and said publicly he wanted him to stay as part of his squad not go on loan.

Chelsea just terminated the contract of a midfielder they don't want. It wasn't Gilmour.

If he stays he will get games. If he goes he will get games. He will be just fine.

Whilst I agree that this is probably why he was frozen out, he wouldn’t have been pushing to leave if he felt he was genuinely going to get a chance. 

Chelsea are hoarders, they’d be perfectly happy to keep him (and many of their other young players, he’s not unique here) send him on loan again or keep him on the basis of having a few players out for a few weeks but letting him sit on the bench for the rest of the season.

They terminated Barkley because no one in their right mind would buy him, they obviously think there’s still money to be made in Gilmour and the others, so they keep them tied up. 

I am glad he’s pushing to leave though, at least it shows ambition beyond being at a big club, picking up a wage. It would be depressing to see him become part of their loan army and never settling. I just hope it goes through.

A Times journalist suggesting around £9M, which seems a bit on the low side if you ask me. 

Discarded wantaway player in the final year of his contract so can kind of understand it and wasn't expecting a big fee, but definitely thought it'd break £10m.

ETA: In fact nah, he signed an extension didn't he? So two seasons left including this one

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A Times journalist suggesting around £9M, which seems a bit on the low side if you ask me. 

Chelsea devalued him quite a bit by making it obvious he didn’t have a part to play in the squad and sending him to train with the kids. If he looked like he was going to be involved this season, they’d have gotten more I expect. 

10 hours ago, Londonwell said:

That’s not what happened. Give it up, man.

Staying at Chelsea would be a disaster. 

Er, are you being serious? I know a hardcore minority Scots love to hate themselves and be negative about everything, but it makes sense for neither player nor club to risk a player who is going to be sold imminently.

Gilmour isn't first choice, Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho will be, but it's obvious neither the player nor the club wanted to risk him at this stage.

At least he turned up to training, something Fofana and Boly didn't bother with.

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Hopefully the 'world class' crap will stop. He is finding his level - good on him. 👌

There's no doubt he put in some amazing man of the match performances against top teams but the idea that he was a world class player seems to exist in your head only.

Do you remember when you thought Chelsea wouldn't extend his contract? Or that he would have to go on loan to the championship or Rangers? Hideously wrong on all counts.

Looks like he's signing for another progressive top flight team, six points ahead of his current side. If somehow he stays at Chelsea he will still get games.

You must be absolutely devastated as to how this has gone, why not reward everyone by disappearing from the thread for a while?

6 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Chelsea devalued him quite a bit by making it obvious he didn’t have a part to play in the squad and sending him to train with the kids. If he looked like he was going to be involved this season, they’d have gotten more I expect. 

Bit of a strange take, it's quite obvious Gilmour wanted guaranteed playing time or a permanent move. Glad he got his wish.

Chelsea gave him a squad number and put him on the bench, there actions wouldn't have affected his fee.

Absolutely no surprise they are putting a buy back in though, they don't bother with most sold youth players - Gilmour is still viewed as being a bit special by them as he has been his whole Chelsea career.

6 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

the eternal Wiederholungszwanger  

He's had a tough time, feel bad for the guy. I'm sure he would have loved it if Gilmour was mutually terminated and couldn't find a club.

13 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Er, are you being serious? I know a hardcore minority Scots love to hate themselves and be negative about everything, but it makes sense for neither player nor club to risk a player who is going to be sold imminently.

Gilmour isn't first choice, Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho will be, but it's obvious neither the player nor the club wanted to risk him at this stage.

At least he turned up to training, something Fofana and Boly didn't bother with.

There's no doubt he put in some amazing man of the match performances against top teams but the idea that he was a world class player seems to exist in your head only.

Do you remember when you thought Chelsea wouldn't extend his contract? Or that he would have to go on loan to the championship or Rangers? Hideously wrong on all counts.

Looks like he's signing for another progressive top flight team, six points ahead of his current side. If somehow he stays at Chelsea he will still get games.

You must be absolutely devastated as to how this has gone, why not reward everyone by disappearing from the thread for a while?

Bit of a strange take, it's quite obvious Gilmour wanted guaranteed playing time or a permanent move. Glad he got his wish.

Chelsea gave him a squad number and put him on the bench, there actions wouldn't have affected his fee.

Absolutely no surprise they are putting a buy back in though, they don't bother with most sold youth players - Gilmour is still viewed as being a bit special by them as he has been his whole Chelsea career.

He's had a tough time, feel bad for the guy. I'm sure he would have loved it if Gilmour was mutually terminated and couldn't find a club.

He’s signed for Brighton man. All’s good, chill out. 

3 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

He’s signed for Brighton man. All’s good, chill out. 

Good deal for Gilmour and Brighton, far better than shite like Everton.

I'm not surprised at all he easily got another EPL club.

Don't expect he will be in the starting 11 right away as they are in good form and he needs to get up to speed after pre season, realistic target of 15 or so league appearances this year assuming he avoids injury.

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

No, it's an idea that predates your presence on this forum. It was in amongst hype that was being generated prior to Gilmour's loan to Norwich City.

On 12/07/2021 at 13:05, BingMcCrosby said:

Let's put it to the test, im saying right now gilmour is going to be a world class player. Your saying that "you" couldn't possibly give an opinion. Until you have watched him for 2 seasons. Your saying you don't believe me, Im saying your a clueless judge of a footballer.

Let's see who's right

Brighton isn't a bad move in theory, but only if he plays, performs well and helps Brighton to be a better team. If anyone had suggested last year after the Euros that Gilmour would be signing permanently for Brighton in summer 2022 then they would have been ridiculed or possibly accused of trolling.

Billy Gilmour is finding his level in the game and there's no shame in that but I'd rather just call it as it is.

Edited by 2426255

On 26/01/2021 at 16:11, accies1874 said:

Brighton would be good, actually: play nice stuff, got a progressive manager and a relegation battle should hopefully be a good lesson. I'm sure they also play with a back three which would be interesting to see from a Scotland point of view.

On 23/06/2021 at 08:21, accies1874 said:

Brighton would still be my choice for him though.

Billy, if you would like further career advice, just drop me a PM. 

Potential bargain (given the massively over inflated English market) - if this works out, hopefully he will be moving on in the next few years and reach Robbo levels of success (of which he is more than capable). Get him a run of games with a manager like Potter who will nurture talent rather than just try to buy names playing moneyball like Tuchel.

If you look at Chelsea and the young players they have moved on in the last few years (of right back to the start of the Roman era) V's what has been spent and brought in, they have obviously had competition success but in many cases its questionable whether its there's always been a significant increase in player quality.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

No, it's an idea that predates your presence on this forum. It was in amongst hype that was being generated prior to Gilmour's loan to Norwich City.

Brighton isn't a bad move in theory, but only if he plays, performs well and helps Brighton to be a better team. If anyone had suggested last year after the Euros that Gilmour would be signing permanently for Brighton in summer 2022 then they would have been ridiculed or possibly accused of trolling.

Billy Gilmour is finding his level in the game and there's no shame in that but I'd rather just call it as it is.

He's signing permanently with a buy back option, not much different to a loan in many ways.

And he's signing for a team currently much higher in the league than Chelsea.

So people thinking a world class player was moving to Norwich on loan? Weird, doubt it happened tbh. What definitely did happen was you thought he might not get a new contract and might have to drop down to the championship / Rangers. As I said - hideously wrong on all counts.

How's the humble pie tasting as he secures another top flight club?