Billy Gilmour

Kuro

You're right no one wants him (apart from Chelsea who extended his contract after that loan spell).
Will probably not even get a game in the Scottish juniors now.
Time to pack it up, a short career with a string of magnificent performances at international and club level, all over because he played in a rubbish team who got relegated.
The sheer desperation of some people to see him fail - it's just sad. 

I rate Billy Gilmour very highly and think he’ll go on to have a great career but Chelsea extending a players contract means very little. There’s loads of players who they’ve kept on the books for years purely so they can loan them out every year and hope to make a bit of profit from them.

13 hours ago, Aidan said:

I rate Billy Gilmour very highly and think he’ll go on to have a great career but Chelsea extending a players contract means very little. There’s loads of players who they’ve kept on the books for years purely so they can loan them out every year and hope to make a bit of profit from them.

Don't disagree with that, but still proves that it is incorrect to say nobody wants him.

Posters earlier on this thread were predicting he might not get a new contract or extension, as I expected they were completely wrong.

21 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Alan Nixon of the Sun saying Brighton interested in Gilmour.

That would be a good move on the face of it.

It looks like he hasn’t been playing for the Chelsea development team recently either. Hopefully that’s a sign that a move is imminent rather than just being completely frozen out.

As I understand it, Billy Gilmour can't move to either Brighton or Everton on loan and so if he goes to either club it will be a permanent move. Everton have used their two loans already (Vinagre, Coady) and Brighton have already loaned a Chelsea player (Levi Colwill).

image.png.4f29981a3e4f5f65ad6b73495d58a955.png

https://www.premierleague.com/news/464747

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

As I understand it, Billy Gilmour can't move to either Brighton or Everton on loan and so if he goes to either club it will be a permanent move. Everton have used their two loans already (Vinagre, Coady) and Brighton have already loaned a Chelsea player (Levi Colwill).

I think (though not 100%) he can still be loaned to Everton as he is still classed as u21. They seemed to be suggesting loaning him to Everton, but that Brighton would have to buy him.

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

there are restrictions on how many players Premier League clubs can loan from other Premier League/English clubs.

Implies that the limit is only for loans coming from other English clubs. Vinagre is on loan from Sporting so they only have one loan from an English club.

Which would make sense because there were rumours last week that Everton wanted to take Che Adams on loan.

Cross-border “loans” aren’t actually loans. They’re technically proper transfers except just for an agreed period of time. Which will be why the Premier League won’t have as much power to limit them.

So Gilmour could still join Everton on loan, but not Brighton.

5 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I think (though not 100%) he can still be loaned to Everton as he is still classed as u21. They seemed to be suggesting loaning him to Everton, but that Brighton would have to buy him.

37 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

there are restrictions on how many players Premier League clubs can loan from other Premier League/English clubs.

Implies that the limit is only for loans coming from other English clubs. Vinagre is on loan from Sporting so they only have one loan from an English club.

Which would make sense because there were rumours last week that Everton wanted to take Che Adams on loan.

Cross-border “loans” aren’t actually loans. They’re technically proper transfers except just for an agreed period of time. Which will be why the Premier League won’t have as much power to limit them.

So Gilmour could still join Everton on loan, but not Brighton.

Thanks for that, makes more sense given the recent speculation.

I thought this was a superb quote from Ange Postecoglu. It was a reply to a question about Greg Taylor and how he's shown resilience to win over Celtic fans, but I thought it's particularly relevant to Billy Gilmour's career. 

Their football journey is not linear in that it starts at a low base and finishes at a high base. You’ve got your ups and downs and sometimes you learn a lot from the times where you have to struggle and as you said if you don’t have resilience and tenacity, because at some point in your career you’ll get tested. For a lot of players it happens a lot of times in their careers.

It’s your ability to overcome that which allows you to then take your football career on the upward trajectory that all players want to take it. I think too often players just think it’s just a smooth ascent and it never is, you’ve got to go through your ups and downs and you’ve got to show resilience, you’ve got to convince people, you’ve got to prove yourself all the time. That never changes.

Ange Postecoglu

https://youtu.be/MpLNgb4euLM?t=537