Billy Gilmour

Kuro

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Are your posts trying to be funny?

That makes them so much more tragic.

No, not at all. I'm just pointing out that your posts are competitive, belligerent and dry. So if you add some element of humour it would maybe make it easier for the people reading them.

Edited by 2426255

I would have expected Billy Gilmour to have moved somewhere by now given he isn't part of the first team squad at Chelsea and the season is underway.

I know loans and permanent moves can often be completed when clubs have a stronger idea of how their squads are shaping up but given Everton who have been widely touted with signing him are close to signing two central midfielders it makes you wonder what's delaying it.

Hopefully it's sorted sooner rather than later. 

On 07/08/2022 at 17:43, velo army said:

Nah that's about the size of it. Loads of wee man energy and tiresome repetition. The thread where him, numbers and bing were bleating for four pages about fucking Iceland beating England

Woah woah woah, woah woah.

You've already picked on this and I held my hands up to being dragged into his nonsense. This isn't the sorry sorry club.

And to be pedantic i dont think I even spoke about Iceland beating England, so shut it.

12 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Woah woah woah, woah woah.

You've already picked on this and I held my hands up to being dragged into his nonsense. This isn't the sorry sorry club.

And to be pedantic i dont think I even spoke about Iceland beating England, so shut it.

Aye I was just bringing it back up as further evidence supporting the charge of said poster being offensively tedious. It wasn't about you.

So you shut it.

Just from Athletic journalists covering Chelsea, but I thought it was interesting and so thought I'd share.

It feels a bit harsh on Billy Gilmour, obviously he was removed from the main group during pre-season training in America and sent away with the kids. There’s a link with Frank Lampard there I guess, although Everton have just signed a midfielder themselves yesterday.

We’ve spoken about it before but it just goes to show you if you get a loan wrong and it doesn’t go well it can really set you back and all of a sudden Billy’s knocking around looking for someone to take a chance on him.

Matt Davies-Adams, Chelsea TV

Yeah I think that’s part of it, but I don’t think the Norwich loan has necessarily affected too much of the way Thomas Tuchel thinks of Billy Gilmour. It certainly hasn’t improved his standing because we’ve heard from Tuchel before that when you go on loan from Chelsea he expects you to be the best player at your loan club and while Gilmour had good stretches for Norwich, he didn’t quite reach that level perhaps that Conor Gallagher did at Crystal Palace.

Tuchel has always had doubts about Gilmour’s physical profile to play in his system in the centre of midfield and I don’t know if Gilmour can actually change that given his body type, I don’t know if he can address that particular concern that Tuchel has and him being cut from the pre-season squad when Kenedy, Batshuayi and an injured Ross Barkley were allowed to stick around was as clear a sign as you could ever hope for that your not in the managers plans short term, medium term or probably even long term.

So I think now with Gilmour everything now is on the table: Loan, Sale – I think they’re going to assess all the options. To be honest I don’t really see what developmental purpose another loan would serve, I think he’s probably better off going somewhere permanently. Somewhere that’s invested in his long term development and play him and building a career away from Chelsea which is pretty sad when you think back to how thrilling his breakthrough was just before the Covid shutdown.

Liam Twomey, Chelsea Reporter – The Athletic.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0XTpIOgNUUNFpqYpidxTXt?si=57f1064881804447

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Just from Athletic journalists covering Chelsea, but I thought it was interesting and so thought I'd share.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0XTpIOgNUUNFpqYpidxTXt?si=57f1064881804447

I find it interesting how much they talk about Conor Gallagher “making it” because he’s in the squad after that good loan to Crystal Palace. He was on the bench last Saturday and if they do bring in Frenkie De Jong, will probably be even further down the pecking order. I’m sure he’ll play matches but will they really be many?

It doesn't sound like making it at Chelsea is all that rewarding and for the likes of Gilmour, Ampadu, Vale etc cutting their losses and moving on might be the better option.

Tuchel seems thoroughly disinterested in developing anyone and looks to want to buy in ready-made players. I’m not criticising that exactly because it’s a big club with expectations of winning things but it seems crazy that they have essentially a young player farm and spend all their time developing players for other teams. Surely there must be a balance to be struck? 

6 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I find it interesting how much they talk about Conor Gallagher “making it” because he’s in the squad after that good loan to Crystal Palace. He was on the bench last Saturday and if they do bring in Frenkie De Jong, will probably be even further down the pecking order. I’m sure he’ll play matches but will they really be many?

It doesn't sound like making it at Chelsea is all that rewarding and for the likes of Gilmour, Ampadu, Vale etc cutting their losses and moving on might be the better option.

Tuchel seems thoroughly disinterested in developing anyone and looks to want to buy in ready-made players. I’m not criticising that exactly because it’s a big club with expectations of winning things but it seems crazy that they have essentially a young player farm and spend all their time developing players for other teams. Surely there must be a balance to be struck? 

Yeah know what you mean. I think the big clubs do do alright out of all the player farming and loaning tho. Other clubs playing their salaries, players getting exposure that way. And then moving for a decent fee with future payments for appearances.

It affects us at the moment because its not working out for the best young player we've seen in ages.

Its all gone kind of quiet regarding a move for him whether a loan or permanent. Which is a bit of concern. No way he's going to be starting for Scotland playing for Chelsea u23s :(

Hopefully there's some light at the end of the tunnel for him and us soon.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

9 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah know what you mean. I think the big clubs do do alright out of all the player farming and loaning tho. Other clubs playing their salaries, players getting exposure that way. And then moving for a decent fee with future payments for appearances.

It affects us at the moment because its not working out for the best young player we've seen in ages.

Its all gone kind of quiet regarding a move for him whether a loan or permanent. Which is a bit of concern. No way he's going to be starting for Scotland playing for Chelsea u23s :(

Hopefully there's some light at the end of the tunnel for him and us soon.

I still think there’s a fair chance he’ll go to Everton. I think the two midfielders they are (have? Not sure if they are signed yet) bringing in a actually quite good news for Gilmour as they are apparently the heavy enforcer defensive type that he probably would need to play alongside to really work well. It could be they were waiting to get those over the line first.

Everton have now just signed Onana and I think they’re still in talks over Idrissa Gueye and they now need a striker desperately. I think the Calvert-Lewin situation at Everton could be bad news for Billy I fear because I think probably before the Calvert-Lewin situation there was a good chance of Billy going there.

Now I’d put it at 50:50 because all their effort having got the Belgian midfielder in I think is going to go on sorting out that striker issue rather than looking at Billy Gilmour. They’ve had to use up a loan on Coady and they might have to use up a second loan on a striker. They’re certainly not going to use up a second loan on Billy before they’ve exhausted all efforts on strikers, so that puts him back into a difficult situation

Matt Law, Daily Telegraph Football Correspondent

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4LXUfShYRoHXKyrdEKW7Me?si=MjWva_3wTuO3TZRGGKReTQ

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Everton have always needed a new striker though, that’s not a new development. DCL was out quite a bit last season and they know they can’t rely on him being fit. 

I’m not saying Gilmour will def go to Everton or anything, just I don’t agree with them that the injury changes anything much.

42 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Everton have always needed a new striker though, that’s not a new development. DCL was out quite a bit last season and they know they can’t rely on him being fit. 

I’m not saying Gilmour will def go to Everton or anything, just I don’t agree with them that the injury changes anything much.

Richarlison has been sold this summer to Tottenham which in combination with Calvert-Lewin being injured leaves them quite short which was evident in their opening EPL game against Chelsea and therefore could push it forward as a priority, but you could be absoultely right and it hasn't changed the strategy within Everton.

I just put that opinion out there because it was from a journalist with a defined link to Chelsea.

Edited by 2426255

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Richarlison has been sold this summer to Tottenham which in combination with Calvert-Lewin being injured leaves them quite short which was evident in their opening EPL game against Chelsea and therefore could push it forward as a priority, but you could be absoultely right and it hasn't changed the strategy within Everton.

I just put that opinion out there because it was from a journalist with a defined link to Chelsea.

Thanks for putting it up, it’s good to read what they are saying and I’m sure they know a lot more about it than I do.

I suppose I just felt it strange that they were saying that as I don’t think any of DCL getting injured or Richarlison going should have been especially surprising and I though Everton would have had these things in mind already when planning. 

They definitely do need a striker though, completely awful up front against Chelsea. 

Gallagher and RLC had worse loan spells with WBA and Fulham respectively (who were both relegated) yet became part of the Chelsea first team.

Gilmour is much higher profile than either of them at that age of course given a string of magnificent performances in big games.

He will have plenty of loan and permanent sale options, I hope he goes abroad. Would thrive in a European league.

Clearly a strong character digging his heels in to benefit his career, good for him.

Edited by Satoshi

6 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Gallagher and RLC had worse loan spells with WBA and Fulham respectively (who were both relegated) yet became part of the Chelsea first team.

Gallagher was given the young player of the year award at West Brom. He can’t have been that bad. I don’t see where he fits into Chelsea’s midfield but he’s obviously jumped ahead of Gilmour now.

It’s a shame that Gilmour had such a disappointing loan spell all while Chelsea were having lots of injuries in midfield last season. I think if he had hung around at Chelsea he would have gotten a decent amount of games and wouldn’t now be finding himself below Loftus-Cheek - and maybe even Gallagher - in the pecking order. Loftus-Cheek only played out of necessity but seems to have worked his way back into Tuchel’s plans as someone who can cover midfield and wing back. That could have been Gilmour instead, minus the wing back part of course.

10 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Clearly a strong character digging his heels in to benefit his career, good for him.

I think this is a fair point. If that's the case and Billy Gilmour is pushing for a move then it would also be a reasonable explanation as to why he hasn't been given a squad number. The contract extension was an option taken up by Chelsea and as far as I know there was no requirement to find an agreement with Billy Gilmour over that.

Time will tell ultimately. I'd prefer to see him get another crack in the English Premier League. 

8 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

And failed at Norwich and now no one wants him 

You're right no one wants him (apart from Chelsea who extended his contract after that loan spell).

Will probably not even get a game in the Scottish juniors now.

Time to pack it up, a short career with a string of magnificent performances at international and club level, all over because he played in a rubbish team who got relegated.

The sheer desperation of some people to see him fail - it's just sad.