Billy Gilmour

Kuro

14 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I didn't think he had that great a game if I'm honest. Norwich played well as a team and he played his part in that, but I wouldn't say he stood out.

You never do, it’s what make your opinion not worth listening to.

Edited by Jambomo

55 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

You never do, it’s what make your opinion not worth listening to.

Yes, I am on the wind up - but the truth is that it's not been difficult because he hasn't really stood out since Dean Smith came in, certainly not anymore than say Kenny McLean for example. In my view was okay against Southampton, played quite well against Wolves, disappointing against Newcastle, disappointing against Tottenham and did okay against Man Utd. I don't think that's far from the truth.

It's not like I'm saying he was awful when he played well and the fact that no-one has come on to say he was the main man or that he ran the show suggests to me that I'm not far off. Roll on Norwich v Villa and West Ham v Norwich.

I thought he improved as the game went on yesterday. He struggled in the first half, some uncharacteristically poor passes, but did settle down and began to influence things more in the second half. 

Most of the times I have seen him for Norwich, he has been pretty impressive with the ball but struggled out of possession. 

28 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

IMO, he was a bit off it in the first half and very good in the second. 

McTominay and McLean both played well too. 

This was my view as well. Not great first half but a lot better second. I think when Norwich sit back he isn’t as good but when they are attacking, he looks much better.

Billy Gilmour needs to get a better team than Norwich. Great distribution means nothing if you're forwards can't score. They're a gang and big Grant looked knackered holding that defence together. Been doing it for months.

Kenny McLean is a better player than Norwich tbf.

See the nick of that guy Sargent up top for  Norwich. Wouldn't get a game for my pub and were all over 60

It’s naive to say Norwich are a gang etc. they’ve started the season way worse than they should of but the entire squad is littered with technically gifted players minus Sargent (he’s absolutely woeful). They may be lacking in physicality in general and Gilmour is no exception. He will be more successful when Normann returns from injury - I think they can compliment each other well and allow him to play higher up.

The criticism he’s getting from Norwich fans is very unfair to be honest but they all wanted him to be a direct replacement for Oliver Skipp (an out and out ball winning midfielder). Not gonna get into a debate if he’s as good as Skipp but they are certainly so different in every aspect.

A lot of Norwich fans on Twitter seem to really dislike him. It's so weird, although it's probably annoying having Chelsea fans constantly all over their posts.

I thought he had a so-so first half but the second was his best for Norwich imo.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

although it's probably annoying having Chelsea fans constantly all over their posts.

Chelsea and Scotland fans. If you put yourself in the Norwich fans shoes it's no doubt not too hard to see why they get frustrated with Scotland and Chelsea Gilmourites.

Edited by 2426255

45 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Chelsea and Scotland fans. If you put yourself in the Norwich fans shoes it's no doubt not too hard to see why they get frustrated with Scotland and Chelsea Gilmourites.

To be fair I agree with you, I can see why they are a bit frustrated as he hasn’t set the world alight there and are constantly being told he’s brilliant, when he hasn’t really been, he’s been more reasonably good. 

That said some of them are just weird about it. Logic and common sense should tell them that a 20 year old kid, who has had a handful of starts for Chelsea and Scotland, might take time to settle in and get up to speed.

I’ve heard even their local media guys trot out the “we lost the 4 games he started” when people were asking why he wasn’t playing, as though it was entirely his fault and they were winning loads once Farke dropped him. They seem to ignore that Smith has so far started him in every game and whilst they might not think he is great, Smith clearly sees enough to be happy.

They just seem mad that he isn’t living up to the hype to the point of being completely irrational about it.

22 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Yes, I am on the wind up - but the truth is that it's not been difficult because he hasn't really stood out since Dean Smith came in, certainly not anymore than say Kenny McLean for example. In my view was okay against Southampton, played quite well against Wolves, disappointing against Newcastle, disappointing against Tottenham and did okay against Man Utd. I don't think that's far from the truth.

It's not like I'm saying he was awful when he played well and the fact that no-one has come on to say he was the main man or that he ran the show suggests to me that I'm not far off. Roll on Norwich v Villa and West Ham v Norwich.

You're a fucking gimp.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You're a fucking gimp.

😘

what happened to this wee suggestion of yours?

On 01/12/2021 at 14:31, The Moonster said:

Can we stop quoting the wee geek please? Makes it difficult to ignore his weird vandetta against oor Billy. 

Edited by 2426255

Thought I'd do some comparison with the best midfielders in the world and Gilmour. 

Halfway through his first season as a 20 year old he has made 20 league appearances (all in the English top flight) and has 10 international appearances. I'm comparing his stats to end of season stats for other players so call it more like 35 league appearances and 12 internationals if he stays fit for arguments sake.

At the same Thiago Alcantara had 14 top flight games in Spain and 3 caps
De Bruyne had 70 top flight games in Belgium and 2 caps
Fabinho had 1 top flight game in Spain and no caps
Bruno Fernandes had 25 top flight games in Italy and no caps
Leon Goretzka had 35 top flight games in Germany and 1 cap
Kai Havertz had 88 top flight games in Germany and 7 caps
Jordan Henderson had 44 top flight games and 1 cap
Joshua Kimmich had no top flight games or caps
N'Golo Kante had no top flight games or caps
Tony Kroos had 63 top flight games in Germany and 13 caps

With the exception of Kroos he's ahead, or equal, to any other player on there. If Gilmour was at Genk he'd have 70 games under his belt as well (and more than three caps as Belgium were honking at the time). He's possibly comparable to Thiago Alcantara in that he's came through at the European Champions, at a time they are stacked with world class midfielders, and still forced his way into contention. 

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Indeed, and he fares even better when compared to the others cycled through Chelseas loan system.

Chelsea fast tracked him to the first team before loaning him out, they didn't for Mount, Gallagher, Reece James, Chalobah or Courtouis. Gilmour made more first team appearances than Lukaku did during his first spell (going by wikipedia).

They only loaned him out reluctantly with Tuchel publicly saying it was Gilmours decision. 

The Norwich fans criticising him no doubt thought that Kane was a complete carthorse too when they loaned him too. And they're probably trying to be edgy like some of those on this thread.

He's certainly a completely different player to Skipp, but the evidence would suggest he is better (Chelsea easily found a top tier team to take Gilmour, Skipp went to the Championship on loan).