Billy Gilmour

Kuro

Grant Hanleys views on Gilly Bilmour.

“I don’t think you need to say much about Billy Gilmour. He will play at the top of the top, with the ability that he’s got, his attitude and mentality,” said Hanley. 

“You only see that in certain players and they’re the players that play at the top, so there’s no doubt in my mind that Billy Gilmour will play right at the very top. 

“So there not too much you need to say to him. He’s unbelievable every single day, his mentality. He’s never a problem even when he’s obviously had a bit of a tough time with not playing. 

“But he’s probably the best player every day in training, every time he plays he’s probably the best player. So nothing to say about Billy Gilmour, apart from I think he’ll do alright!” 

Having now watched the game, I don't think it was a great performance from Gilmour. If you put together a wee video of all his touches then he'd look good as his work on the ball was mostly decent, but he just didn't influence it as much as you'd like him to and his defensive work wasn't too clever. I reckon it's just a case of him getting back up to speed for Norwich and a bit more time starting for them, then we'll see him shine again.

23 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Grant Hanleys views on Gilly Bilmour.

“I don’t think you need to say much about Billy Gilmour. He will play at the top of the top, with the ability that he’s got, his attitude and mentality,” said Hanley. 

“You only see that in certain players and they’re the players that play at the top, so there’s no doubt in my mind that Billy Gilmour will play right at the very top. 

“So there not too much you need to say to him. He’s unbelievable every single day, his mentality. He’s never a problem even when he’s obviously had a bit of a tough time with not playing. 

“But he’s probably the best player every day in training, every time he plays he’s probably the best player. So nothing to say about Billy Gilmour, apart from I think he’ll do alright!” 

Big Grant obviously doesn’t have much to say.

11 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Having now watched the game, I don't think it was a great performance from Gilmour. If you put together a wee video of all his touches then he'd look good as his work on the ball was mostly decent, but he just didn't influence it as much as you'd like him to and his defensive work wasn't too clever. I reckon it's just a case of him getting back up to speed for Norwich and a bit more time starting for them, then we'll see him shine again.

I'd hazard a guess that a lot of the people on here raving about him didn't watch his game at the weekend. Saw that he played and had an assist and that was enough for them to begin raving. 

6 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'd hazard a guess that a lot of the people on here raving about him didn't watch his game at the weekend. Saw that he played and had an assist and that was enough for them to begin raving. 

Numerous pundits, players, analysts and near enough every poster can see how good he is and will become; yet numberwang here just can't accept it. Hilarious.

28 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Numerous pundits, players, analysts and near enough every poster can see how good he is and will become; yet numberwang here just can't accept it. Hilarious.

It's not that mate. I understand that many people, certainly on here will hold a bias purely because they're Scottish fans and he is a Scottish player. If you were objective you wouldn't be raving about his performance against the Moldova, Denmark or Southampton. Not saying he was bad but other players deserve the praise that is being redirected Gilmour's way. 

You're better off thinking for yourself than just taking 2nd hand opinions. I'm sure many people on here could relate to that. But for the rest of you that prefer not to use your brain just keep doing what you're doing.

Edited by 2426255

Don't worry lads, everyone wants Billy to be a big success. Some people just have legitimate concerns about some areas of his game, and are also concerned we're too excited about him which means we're bound to end up disappointed and even worse others are missing out!

Take poor Che, John and John for example, they were standouts against Denmark and must be quite sad that all the adulation that is rightfully theirs is ending up with Billy. This is a thing that is definitely happening.

Here is a link about something unrelated https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=concern troll

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

It's not that mate. I understand that many people, certainly on here will hold a bias purely because they're Scottish fans and he is a Scottish player. If you were objective you wouldn't be raving about his performance against the Moldova, Denmark or Southampton. Not saying he was bad but other players deserve the praise that is being redirected Gilmour's way. 

You're better off thinking for yourself than just taking 2nd hand opinions. I'm sure many people on here could relate to that. But for the rest of you that prefer not to use your brain just keep doing what you're doing.

Ian Wright was raving about his performance against Moldova, Dean Smith was raving about him in his post match interview. Are they biased Scots as well? Do they know f**k all?

He gets rave reviews because he deserves it. I agree that Chelsea and Scotland fans are probably doing him no favours by hyping him up so much, but equally it’s not just overhyping an ordinary player.

Its also not the case that praising him stood Adams or McGinn etc for getting the praise they deserve, McGinn has his own song sung on some kind of loop at Hampden ffs. There’s enough praise for everyone.

I doubt very much the other lads are in the slightest bothered about the praise Billy's getting. John McGinn and Souttar were outstanding along with Che and rightfully lauded for it. BG also played great and links our play in a way I haven't seen for decades. We are a good team now

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Ian Wright was raving about his performance against Moldova, Dean Smith was raving about him in his post match interview. Are they biased Scots as well? Do they know f**k all?

He gets rave reviews because he deserves it. I agree that Chelsea and Scotland fans are probably doing him no favours by hyping him up so much, but equally it’s not just overhyping an ordinary player.

Its also not the case that praising him stood Adams or McGinn etc for getting the praise they deserve, McGinn has his own song sung on some kind of loop at Hampden ffs. There’s enough praise for everyone.

I know you're on the Norwich forums and I think I'm right in saying you're a Norwich fan to some extent or certainly have been following them closely this season. 

Dean Smith spoke highly about Gilmour, but for context he also spoke highly of many other Norwich players after being asked about them. I don't think he deserved or for that matter really received rave reviews for his performance against Southampton. A fairer appraisal was that he grew into the game and was good in spells which I agree with. I think Accies1874 was a fair review and he watched the game, like me.

I know it's not a popular opinion that I hold. I didn't see what Ian Wright said after the Moldova game and I'm not going to get into an argument about praise - don't mind doing that another time.

Edited by 2426255

50 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I know you're on the Norwich forums and I think I'm right in saying you're a Norwich fan to some extent or certainly have been following them closely this season. 

Dean Smith spoke highly about Gilmour, but for context he also spoke highly of many other Norwich players after being asked about them. I don't think he deserved or for that matter really received rave reviews for his performance against Southampton. A fairer appraisal was that he grew into the game and was good in spells which I agree with. I think Accies1874 was a fair review and he watched the game, like me.

I know it's not a popular opinion that I hold. I didn't see what Ian Wright said after the Moldova game and I'm not going to get into an argument about praise - don't mind doing that another time.

I think Accies1874 review was fair as well, but we were speaking more generally, not just about the Southampton game. You seem to want to dismiss the praise as just Scottish/Chelsea fans being biased, I was only pointing out that others think the same, including his own manager now. Praising other players is not relevant, it doesn’t change his opinions on Gilmour.

For what it’s worth I think this type of praise can be harmful, we see in in English players getting hyped up by the media - everyone will fall short in the end because nobody can live up to being hyped up as much as these guys get, everyone has average games sometimes, or can be poor.

I wish the hype around Gilmour was less and you can see that it sets people against him when he does perform well, those people don’t want to acknowledge it or put it down because it wasn’t completely outstanding.

There is a balance to be had in the middle, he’s not Messi, but he’s not rubbish either. 

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I think Accies1874 review was fair as well, but we were speaking more generally, not just about the Southampton game. You seem to want to dismiss the praise as just Scottish/Chelsea fans being biased, I was only pointing out that others think the same, including his own manager now. Praising other players is not relevant, it doesn’t change his opinions on Gilmour.

For what it’s worth I think this type of praise can be harmful, we see in in English players getting hyped up by the media - everyone will fall short in the end because nobody can live up to being hyped up as much as these guys get, everyone has average games sometimes, or can be poor.

I wish the hype around Gilmour was less and you can see that it sets people against him when he does perform well, those people don’t want to acknowledge it or put it down because it wasn’t completely outstanding.

There is a balance to be had in the middle, he’s not Messi, but he’s not rubbish either. 

I take your points on board and acknowledge that you're being reasonable and agree with a lot of what you've written. It's the hype and not the player that I take issue with.