Billy Gilmour

Kuro

11 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Consider why Billy Gilmour being limited defensively would affect team selection. If we want Tierney and Robertson attacking down the left how would that work if we had a midfield of McTominay, Gilmour and McGinn for example? When Gilmour plays in the middle or right of midfield he has the freedom to attack and control the game because McTominay or Hendry don't attack in the same way as Tierney and Robertson do. 

To form the midfield without McGregor we would have to switch McTominay to the left or put Gilmour on the left where question marks have to be asked if he could be as good defensively as McGregor. So it's not a point that should be discarded just because you don't want to hear a bad word said about Billy Gilmour.

This forum is full of blinkered, biased idiots.

Are We The Baddies GIFs | Tenor

Consider why Billy Gilmour being limited defensively would affect team selection. If we want Tierney and Robertson attacking down the left how would that work if we had a midfield of McTominay, Gilmour and McGinn for example? When Gilmour plays in the middle or right of midfield he has the freedom to attack and control the game because McTominay or Hendry don't attack in the same way as Tierney and Robertson do. 
To form the midfield without McGregor we would have to switch McTominay to the left or put Gilmour on the left where question marks have to be asked if he could be as good defensively as McGregor. So it's not a point that should be discarded just because you don't want to hear a bad word said about Billy Gilmour.
This forum is full of blinkered, biased idiots.

If you asked everyone on here what Gilmour's biggest weakness is then I'm sure 99% of them would say his defensive ability/awareness. No one denies that, but watching someone that good that young is bound to get us excited and therefore won't talk about his bad points so readily. He's been good for Scotland in every game so it's natural we won't focus on his bad points. I think he can take too many touches too often but it wasn't the first thing that came to mind when he was strolling another half for the team I support.

Fwiw McTominay played the same role against Luxembourg as the one Armstrong and McGregor have recently but McGregor is undoubtedly the best option there. I think Fleck could've done a similar job too but he's out of the picture now.

6 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

If you asked everyone on here what Gilmour's biggest weakness is then I'm sure 99% of them would say his defensive ability/awareness. No one denies that, but watching someone that good that young is bound to get us excited and therefore won't talk about his bad points so readily. He's been good for Scotland in every game so it's natural we won't focus on his bad points. I think he can take too many touches too often but it wasn't the first thing that came to mind when he was strolling another half for the team I support.

Fwiw McTominay played the same role against Luxembourg as the one Armstrong and McGregor have recently but McGregor is undoubtedly the best option there. I think Fleck could've done a similar job too but he's out of the picture now.

So how would you get McTominay, Gilmour and McGinn into midfield? I don't think you can yet unless Gilmour improves defensively or McTominay plays where he did against Luxembourg or you do something like play a diamond in the midfield which would probably mean going to a back four so it's a big deal to the way we are set up. Until that is resolved we will get the same questions around Hendry, McTominay, McGregor, Gilmour and our shape.

People don't want to hear it, but it's a valid point and in fact a central issue in our team and it revolves partly around Billy Gilmour.

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

This guy is so desperate to appear more intelligent than everyone else that he’s trying to paint having too many quality players fighting for a midfield spot as a bad thing.

Crap post, how am I trying to sound more intelligent?  There are hundreds of examples where the best players don't make the best team and a midfield of Gilmour, McTominay and McGinn could be worse than Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn 

Edited by 2426255

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Who watches that game of football and thinks "some people on the internet were enjoying it too much, it's my moral duty to make them see that they're wrong"

Cheer up my man, it's not worth it

I never said that or thought that. I just said that Billy Gilmour is a bit of a bombscare defensively and everyone on here jumped down my throat. It's okay I'm a big boy I can take it. 😁

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I never said that or thought that. I just said that Billy Gilmour is a bit of a bombscare defensively and everyone on here jumped down my throat. It's okay I'm a big boy I can take it. 😁

They jumped on it because it was your only observation of him in a game where he played very well on the whole. As I said earlier, if you'd been more balanced in your analysis then less folk would've had an objection with it.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

They jumped on it because it was your only observation of him in a game where he played very well on the whole. As I said earlier, if you'd been more balanced in your analysis then less folk would've had an objection with it.

I wasn't trying to provide a critique of him in the whole game, I was trying to point out a weakness.  I'm not giving a criticism sandwiched between two compliments just because you can't take a strong or controversial view. I didn't say it was his fault or that he isn't young and learning the game just said he got done by Dor Peretz in the lead up to their 2nd goal.

Edited by 2426255

12 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Crap post, how am I trying to sound more intelligent?  There are hundreds of examples where the best players don't make the best team and a midfield of Gilmour, McTominay and McGinn could be worse than Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn 

It’s been your raison d’etre since you signed up to this website.

If you look on the match thread from before the Israel game you will find several people saying they’d prefer McGregor in the midfield instead of McTominay. I don’t know why you think you saying this is some sort of groundbreaking insight.

It’s been your raison d’etre since you signed up to this website.
If you look on the match thread from before the Israel game you will find several people saying they’d prefer McGregor in the midfield instead of McTominay. I don’t know why you think you saying this is some sort of groundbreaking insight.
Its Pep, isnt it?