Billy Gilmour

Kuro

37 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Our home games during the nations league always included two holding midfielders in the form of Jack and McGregor. 

image.thumb.png.4744f27980f9bbf443553256a0d3fe53.png

In contrast, Scotland's last four home games we can see that Steve Clarke has adopted a more attacking midfield setup.

image.thumb.png.43a54b166dc7f6f8866327fcc77e62a9.png

Some people will think a back three with two holding midfielders is too defensive a setup to play Israel at home and away against the Faroes. If so how would Billy Gilmour fit into a team like that given what we have seen at Norwich?

We haven't played away to a minnow since we adopted the new system and our best games using our current system have been away days in Serbia, England and Austria so it will be interesting to see how the midfield is set up at home to Israel and away to the Faroes and in particular how Billy Gilmour fits into that.

If that isn't a good analysis, i don't know what is.

All we need to do is load the midfield 

We have better players than them there and can control the game,  as we did second half away against them last time we played 

1 hour ago, Binos said:

All we need to do is load the midfield 

We have better players than them there and can control the game,  as we did second half away against them last time we played 

Get this guy in charge of the national team.  

I watched the game last night (my recording didn't get the first 15 mins or so though) and thought Gilmour was... actually decent?

He was pretty anonymous in the first half but became more influential in the second, playing a few good forward passes, he created a couple of chances and was composed defensively.

He needs to get away from that bush league Norwich team. Pity he/Chelsea chose them as Farke is obsessed with keeping the same team that wins the Championship every 2nd season, never strengthens, and then they get pumped every week in the Barclays.

I'd be actually fairly fucked off with Farke if I was a Norwich fan.

I think there couldn't be a better place for Billy Gilmour to play and learn the defensive side of the game. He has been tossed into the deep end, doesn't affect Chelsea and if he makes it out the other side he will be much improved in an area where he needs to improve his game if he wants to make it at Chelsea. 

He'll be learning a lot right now.

Edited by 2426255

He needs to get away from that bush league Norwich team. Pity he/Chelsea chose them as Farke is obsessed with keeping the same team that wins the Championship every 2nd season, never strengthens, and then they get pumped every week in the Barclays.
I'd be actually fairly fucked off with Farke if I was a Norwich fan.
They've signed loads of players.

Gilmour and Norwich are both really bad defending counter-attacks so is there an argument that he'll get better at it even if they don't? He's mostly seemed fine defending in a unit, it's just when he gets more exposed that we see his limitations (damn, he and Hanley really are with the perfect country and worst club for them, eh?).

We have played with only one holding midfielder in our last four home games. Billy Gilmour struggles a little with that side of the game. Israel are particularly dangerous on the counter. Do we need to play two holding midfielders? or if it just one deep midfielder should it be someone else?

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

We have played with only one holding midfielder in our last four home games. Billy Gilmour struggles a little with that side of the game. Israel are particularly dangerous on the counter. Do we need to play two holding midfielders? or if it just one deep midfielder should it be someone else?

Gilmour will play,  as will mcgregor if fit

There is NO WAY Harvey Barnes will play for us, he's not Cameron Redpath (Scotland and Bath Rugby player) who will change his mind in a few years if he's p***ed off at being continually overlooked by England (that won't happen anyway, he'll get a competitive game ASAP imho as he's now playing in Europe with Leicester). 

Anyway, regarding "eligible players", I'm not really in favour of this rule as it can be overused (look at our Rugby team, half are South Africans fgs), I don't mind one or 2 (in our case, preferably Strikers). 

1 hour ago, Caley Shaun said:

There is NO WAY Harvey Barnes will play for us, he's not Cameron Redpath (Scotland and Bath Rugby player) who will change his mind in a few years if he's p***ed off at being continually overlooked by England (that won't happen anyway, he'll get a competitive game ASAP imho as he's now playing in Europe with Leicester). 

Anyway, regarding "eligible players", I'm not really in favour of this rule as it can be overused (look at our Rugby team, half are South Africans fgs), I don't mind one or 2 (in our case, preferably Strikers). 

Aye you've posted this in the wrong thread friend. 

Edited by velo army

9 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

_103585432_8876f6d1-2758-4bf9-8819-067840653c50.jpg.e9ea109cfd6700fe3f51370269ec34b9.jpg

Steve Clarke has already made it clear he wants to begin using Scott McTominay in midfield. The problem was taken away from him in the last round of qualifiers with McTominay having surgery and maybe with Grant Hanley suspended then it will be taken away for the Israel game but the emergence of Billy Gilmour, Jack Hendry and the return of Ryan Jack means at some point soon he will face a choice.

It might be a "good problem to have" but it will cause a lot of arguments on here no doubt because it will become impossible to fit them all in and people will say things like too many square pegs in round holes etc especially after disappointing results. Maybe McTominay will play as one of the advanced midfielders on the left like he did against Luxembourg. 🤔

I saw John Fleck is getting back to some excellent form for Sheff Utd, but no chance he will be called up unless there's an injury - our midfield is really strong in that area.

Edited by 2426255

13 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Steve Clarke has already made it clear he wants to begin using Scott McTominay in midfield. The problem was taken away from him in the last round of qualifiers with McTominay having surgery and maybe with Grant Hanley suspended then it will be taken away for the Israel game but the emergence of Billy Gilmour, Jack Hendry and the return of Ryan Jack means at some point soon he will face a choice.

It might be a "good problem to have" but it will cause a lot of arguments on here no doubt because it will become impossible to fit them all in and people will say things like too many square pegs in round holes etc especially after disappointing results. Maybe McTominay will play as one of the advanced midfielders on the left like he did against Luxembourg. 🤔

Gilmour and McGregor have the deeper midfield positions nailed down for me until one of them is either unavailable or does something to justify losing it. Then the question is do you disrupt the defence that was so good in Austria to fit in McTominay? I'm not convinced. I'd start with McTominay on the bench against Israel and play him in Moldova or the Faroes where we could probably do with someone to drive from deep rather than two passers in midfield. 

2 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

Gilmour and McGregor have the deeper midfield positions nailed down for me until one of them is either unavailable or does something to justify losing it. Then the question is do you disrupt the defence that was so good in Austria to fit in McTominay? I'm not convinced. I'd start with McTominay on the bench against Israel and play him in Moldova or the Faroes where we could probably do with someone to drive from deep rather than two passers in midfield. 

That's if we play with two deep midfielders. In our last four home games we have played with one deeper midfielder. If we don't get a win the manager is getting pelters regardless of how he set up lol...

I can hear people now saying a back three and two holding midfielders at home to Israel - time for Steve Clark to go. 🤦‍♂️ or if he plays two strikers like against Croatia they will say he should put another midfielder on to get control of the game 🤭 or if he puts another midfielder on like against the Czechs they will say why didn't he stick big Dykes and Adams up front. 👀