Billy Gilmour

Kuro

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Anyone know why he was left out yesterday?

Looking at the Norwich City forums there seems to be mixed responses to his performances so far. It's probably knee jerk crap but has anyone been following him? Was he carrying a wee injury perhaps? 

I think the Norwich fans were suggesting that it was because he played all 3 international games. Worried about burning out or something. He also didn’t play one or two others for the same reason apparently (I don’t know who though).

Back in the starting lineup with McLean next to him and the new signing as the deepest midfielder (all according to Norwich's graphic). That midfield suggests he'll be asked to get forward quite considerably which will be interesting to see.

33 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Back in the starting lineup with McLean next to him and the new signing as the deepest midfielder (all according to Norwich's graphic). That midfield suggests he'll be asked to get forward quite considerably which will be interesting to see.

Should be interesting to see what happens in that game. It's great to watch our players play with nothing invested in the result.

Edited by 2426255

18 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
According to the ratings on BBC, Gilmour is comfortably the highest rated Norwich player. 

The ratings on BBC? Sheesh, I'd rather trust Packie Bonner's assessment of his play today.

Of course I'm assuming they are given by folk at the match rather than random folk voting....

The Norwich situation is worrying me a wee bit. If Farke gets sacked, a new manager could easily ditch Hanley and Gilmour (unless there is some 'must play' clause in his loan deal). More likely Hanley could suffer, and we already know he's not half the player when not featuring regularly at club level.

Hunners of "ifs" there, but I could see it happening.

There's always that risk. What if for example Scott McTominay falls out of favour at Manchester United if Solskjaer was sacked or if they signed a new CDM? We have replacements is the answer. In fairness it was 6 months ago that Declan Gallagher was a bit of a hero with the national team and even if his stock has fallen since moving to Aberdeen he was unlucky to lose his place. Additionally Liam Cooper is doing damn well at Leeds United or we could look to a back four with Tierney & Hendry etc. 

It wouldn't be the end of the world is what I'm saying. It's happened with David Marshall at Derby County and life has continued.

Edited by 2426255

image.thumb.png.01f83e3642a4be5a6b917585483abfeb.png

Interesting to get the Norwich City fans point of view, with Scotland I think our system covers his defensive deficiencies better. We saw Gilmour as the only deep lying midfielder against Moldova which was fine - but at this stage against teams on Scotland's level or above he seems to need people to help him with the defensive side of being a midfielder. It would make me think twice about how we set up the midfield against Israel next month.

Could be a tough season for Gilmour and he might get a lot of abuse, but hopefully helps him in the long run.

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/143943-gilmour-and-the-4-3-3/

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

image.thumb.png.01f83e3642a4be5a6b917585483abfeb.png

Interesting to get the Norwich City fans point of view, with Scotland I think our system covers his defensive deficiencies better. We saw Gilmour as the only deep lying midfielder against Moldova which was fine - but at this stage against teams on Scotland's level or above he seems to need people to help him with the defensive side of being a midfielder. It would make me think twice about how we set up the midfield against Israel next month.

Could be a tough season for Gilmour and he might get a lot of abuse, but hopefully helps him in the long run.

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/143943-gilmour-and-the-4-3-3/

I think for Scotland I’d go with a “if it’s not broke don’t fix it” approach. If we are in a position where we can manage the defensive issues he has then let’s keep doing that as he has been great for us in general.

I’m also not entirely convinced his performances are entirely his fault. I definitely do think he needs to work on his defensive game but if Scotland and Chelsea can get great games out of him at a top level, then maybe Norwich should also be looking at why they can’t. The games I’ve seen for them (yesterday’s, Leicester and Liverpool) I can’t say any of the team looked especially good. 

A lot of the frustration is that he isn’t living up to the hype he has, but the hype isn’t his fault and I think that’s what Clarke and Farke were trying to do early season in calming expectations around him.

Edited by Jambomo

2 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I think for Scotland I’d go with a “if it’s not broke don’t fix it” approach. If we are in a position where we can manage the defensive issues he has then let’s keep doing that as he has been great for us in general.

Our home games during the nations league always included two holding midfielders in the form of Jack and McGregor. 

image.thumb.png.4744f27980f9bbf443553256a0d3fe53.png

In contrast, Scotland's last four home games we can see that Steve Clarke has adopted a more attacking midfield setup.

image.thumb.png.43a54b166dc7f6f8866327fcc77e62a9.png

Some people will think a back three with two holding midfielders is too defensive a setup to play Israel at home and away against the Faroes. If so how would Billy Gilmour fit into a team like that given what we have seen at Norwich?

We haven't played away to a minnow since we adopted the new system and our best games using our current system have been away days in Serbia, England and Austria so it will be interesting to see how the midfield is set up at home to Israel and away to the Faroes and in particular how Billy Gilmour fits into that.

If that isn't a good analysis, i don't know what is.

Edited by 2426255