Billy Gilmour

Kuro

8 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Id have to disagree with the last part.

McGeady wasn't that good, he would have got in our team. But he was way to slow, and just not good enough to have been a top player.

Whilst he used to frustrate the life out of me and never quite liked the guy I don't think I have ever heard anyone make this claim before, mainly because its utter nonsense. His best season for us was when Strachan got him to stop trying to beat a man with skill and use his direct pace more instead.

47 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Whilst he used to frustrate the life out of me and never quite liked the guy I don't think I have ever heard anyone make this claim before, mainly because its utter nonsense. His best season for us was when Strachan got him to stop trying to beat a man with skill and use his direct pace more instead.

That probably didn't come out right, I dont mean he was slow generally. He was quite fast.

But I mean in comparison to a top winger playing in a better league. He wasn't fast enough at the top level. Or good enough tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To go back to the thing of seing players and thinking there class, I was working at a game of Aberdeen against St Johnstone at McDirmand, and Ryan Fraser looked incredible, he was up against David McKay? Who was a very solid right back, and he just ripped him to shreds. 

Andy Robertson played one of his first games for Dundee United against us in a friendly, and I was pretty annoyed that some bloke who'd just been signed from Queens Park was terrorising us, I didn't see him having that great a career though! 

Jack Grealish looked fantastic in a Fa Cup semi final against Liverpool. 

However I also once claimed that Fraser Murray of Hibs would be a Scotland international after he dry bummed us in a friendly, so you know, no ones perfect. 

How did Gilmour get on today? 

If you see Liverpool's second goal it's hard not to feel he could have done a bit more defensively to keep pace with Mane and maybe to be aware of Firminho. It's a side of his game he probably didn't need as much at Chelsea, but as we saw in the England game he finds it difficult tracking runners. I think the conclusion was that he played well without doing anything significant offensively and that Norwich needed a stronger defensive player to work with him in central midfield.

It seems to be an unhealthy combination of not tracking and struggling athletically. The first can be learned but I think he'll always have to deal with the latter. Playing as the sole DM in this Norwich side will be a tough gig if Farke doesn't sort out the ease with which they are countered. They've also got a really tough start.

Gilmour was absolutely fine on the ball, though, which was difficult with Liverpool's pressing, and as much as he definitely needs defensive support in midfield, it would be a shame to see that hinder his involvement in buildup.

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

It seems to be an unhealthy combination of not tracking and struggling athletically. The first can be learned but I think he'll always have to deal with the latter. Playing as the sole DM in this Norwich side will be a tough gig if Farke doesn't sort out the ease with which they are countered. They've also got a really tough start.

Gilmour was absolutely fine on the ball, though, which was difficult with Liverpool's pressing, and as much as he definitely needs defensive support in midfield, it would be a shame to see that hinder his involvement in buildup.

Only just turned twenty, so there is plenty of time for him to develop athletically too. 

9 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I think thats perhaps why he has been sent to a relegation battlers who are most likely to see less of the ball in games. Technically he is superb but it’s probably the parts of the game you have mentioned  he needs to brush up on.

I don't have a problem with Gilmour lacking physicality, he's that good on the ball he doesn't need to be a big smasher. He should be the creative midfielder in any team he plays in with physical players next to him to do the tackling and tracking. I thought he was good at the weekend. 

19 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Aye will you be saying that if Scotland lose a goal and it's because Billy Gilmour didn't track a runner or just blame McGregor, Hanley or O'Donnell for not covering?

326053149_Track1.thumb.png.bd8a209dd9d8e0c94a5df23ff339e510.png

1138198457_Track2.thumb.png.1d601320d0615ff9ceafb56186d3c604.png

1473967325_Track3.thumb.png.91ee54b9939e5ae0628cbaf6f3dca7a2.png

1992586692_Track4.thumb.png.6c65959a37387a9a7d0d8760b2fbc885.png

Why do you expect Gilmour to be the perfect player at 19 years old? He's learning the game. Give yourself a rest. 

On 05/07/2021 at 14:07, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah have to agree, of course its not ridiculous you could tell someone would be world class after a few games. Or even one, sometimes its just blindingly obvious. I've done it and got it right loads of times. And I dont consider myself to be some expert talent spotter.

I don't expect him to be the perfect player, the thread just needs a bit of balance.

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Just wrote that because of the low IQ level of some of the PnB member in this thread. So you're welcome.

It's a bit rich for the guy who quotes the wrong post and starts sentences with "So" to be lashing anyone else's intellect, but this place wouldn't be the same without that sort of brass neck.