Billy Gilmour

Kuro

The thing that stands out with Gilmour for me, more than the obvious talent he has, is his attitude. He gets a start in an FA Cup tie against Liverpool at 18 or whatever, absolutely bosses the game, gets MotM. Gets his first start in the Champions League, bosses it, gets MotM. First international start, at Wembley, against England, in a European Championship, bosses it and gets MotM.

That suggests to me the boy's got nerves of steel, a great attitude, and supreme confidence in his own ability.

And he clearly has the ability to go with it. He has everything needed to go on and become a world class player. It doesn't mean it will definitely happen but he has the potential and what looks like the right kind of attitude to fulfil that potential. For players like him at his stage in his career, attitude is far more important than talent. Every guy in his position is talented. It's about having the drive and resilience to go beyond where he is right now and those around him.

This season is a big test for him. I'm sure there'll be times when he doesn't play well and has to fight for his place in the team and Norwich will most likely be facing a relegation battle. But this is one of the tests he's got to go through on the way to becoming a world class player.

Regarding ones you got wrong:-

When I first saw these guys play live, I thought they would go on to become International regulars

Scott Patterson at Patrick (looked a more skilful version of John Stones)
Derek Ferguson at Rangers (looked a better player than Durant)
Jack Wilshere (saw him at 16 playing for Arsenal in a preseason tourney at the Emirates)

None of these guys reached their full potential due to various injury/attitude issues but they did look very good at the time

ETA Ok, seems a bit harsh to lump Wilshere in with the other 2 as he actually played for England

Regarding ones you got wrong:-

When I first saw these guys play live, I thought they would go on to become International regulars

Scott Patterson at Patrick (looked a more skilful version of John Stones)
Derek Ferguson at Rangers (looked a better player than Durant)
Jack Wilshere (saw him at 16 playing for Arsenal in a preseason tourney at the Emirates)

None of these guys reached their full potential due to various injury/attitude issues but they did look very good at the time

ETA Ok, seems a bit harsh to lump Wilshere in with the other 2 as he actually played for England
Derek Ferguson played for Scotland

33 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Jack Wilshere is a very good example of how things don't always pan out as people hope, expect or predict.

When Jack Wilshere was 18 he was getting involved in fights outside pubs and spitting on taxi drivers. Obviously injuries have played a huge part but I'm not sure he had the attitude to go with his ability. Gilmour has a family that keeps his head screwed on and he's never come across as having any sort of ego in any interview I've seen. I really do think injuries are the only thing that can stop Gilmour getting to the top. 

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I say just wait and see how his career goes and stop adding all the crap hype e.g. he's going to be world class, play for Barcelona, win the Ballon Dor etc. etc. 😁 

Odd response to offer given 

a) nobody has said that

b) he's already achieved a huge amount

c) he clearly already is one of (if not the!) best midfielders we have

No one is making ridiculous assertions here.  If you asked one of the betting companies to give you odds on getting 103 caps for Scotland, I suspect they would be pretty short.

Delighted to see Scott Paterson brought into this thread. I do think that if he hadn't had that dreadful hip injury (he spent more time on Liverpool's treatment table than actually playing for their youths) he'd have been an absolute standout for the national team. Instead he had a good 4-5 seasons of senior football in total (I think) before having to retire at 29. Tragic. Best Thistle player of my generation. And that includes Chic.

Back to the topic of the thread though. I want to see Gilmour working on free kicks and shooting from distance. I can see him being our Modric but I want him to add that to his game. He seems the sort to want to really influence games, so I can see this happening.

Just now, velo army said:

Delighted to see Scott Paterson brought into this thread. I do think that if he hadn't had that dreadful hip injury (he spent more time on Liverpool's treatment table than actually playing for their youths) he'd have been an absolute standout for the national team. Instead he had a good 4-5 seasons of senior football in total (I think) before having to retire at 29. Tragic. Best Thistle player of my generation. And that includes Chic.

Back to the topic of the thread though. I want to see Gilmour working on free kicks and shooting from distance. I can see him being our Modric but I want him to add that to his game. He seems the sort to want to really influence games, so I can see this happening.

I didn't see much of patterson, I remember being in Aberdeen tho and getting a free ticket to see abdn Partick. This was when patterson was probably at his peak, certainly getting alot of media attention anyway. 

And tbh I was blown away by him, read the game so well and passing out from the back was effortless.

If someone suffers from injuries which ruin their career, its not getting it wrong really. Its just one of those things.

Charney as well was just such a good player. Ill never forget his goal for Dumbarton at cappielow. Guiding in a half volley from the halfway line as if it was easy. The whole stadium home and away just clapping the skill and genius of the guy. He could do just about anything with the ball.

Anyway 🤣 aye, gilmour long shots and all that

On 16/07/2021 at 10:35, BingMcCrosby said:

I didn't see much of patterson, I remember being in Aberdeen tho and getting a free ticket to see abdn Partick. This was when patterson was probably at his peak, certainly getting alot of media attention anyway. 

And tbh I was blown away by him, read the game so well and passing out from the back was effortless.

If someone suffers from injuries which ruin their career, its not getting it wrong really. Its just one of those things.

Charney as well was just such a good player. Ill never forget his goal for Dumbarton at cappielow. Guiding in a half volley from the halfway line as if it was easy. The whole stadium home and away just clapping the skill and genius of the guy. He could do just about anything with the ball.

Anyway 🤣 aye, gilmour long shots and all that

Scotland missed out on a top class CB pairing in Paterson and Kennedy. Add McGeady we'd have qualified for one or two tournaments with that lot.

43 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Scotland missed out on a top class CB pairing in Paterson and Kennedy. Add McGeady we'd have qualified for one or two tournaments with that lot.

Id have to disagree with the last part.

McGeady wasn't that good, he would have got in our team. But he was way to slow, and just not good enough to have been a top player.

8 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Id have to disagree with the last part.

McGeady wasn't that good, he would have got in our team. But he was way to slow, and just not good enough to have been a top player.

Sigh.

Take it away, Pepp.