Billy Gilmour

Kuro

Who are the top young prospects we’ve produced in the time I’ve been watching (c. 82 to now)? (Not talking guys who matured and became top, but not elite eg Collins, MacAllister, Lambert)

McStay - burst onto scene, scored a couple of worldies v Iceland but stayed at Celtic too long, should have gone to Italy when he almost did but tbf v good at Euro 92

Nicholas - brilliant but made a bad move and arguably wasted his talent although still had it at Aberdeen in spades. 

Durrant - seemed to have the lot but for Neil Simpson, still played at good level after injury. 

B Ferguson - bossed European games and v England at Wembley in 99 but perhaps wrong move and stayed in his comfort zone at Rangers

Fletcher - squeezed every ounce of his talent, great player and I don’t understand the stick he got. 

In my subjective opinion, Gilmour is more impressive than all these players in terms of technique and game sense. 

Comments about why isn’t Gilmour winning games single-handed are nonsensical. Does Veratti do that? No, but he makes everything tick and improves everyone around him. I see Gilmour and he reminds me of Veratti.

Fletcher - squeezed every ounce of his talent, great player and I don’t understand the stick he got.  

He got stick because he appeared to be a solid 7/8 out of 10 performer every time he put on a Utd top and he couldn't always replicate that in a Scotland jersey. The main reason being he was surrounded by real quality at Utd and shite at Scotland. But try explaining that to the fannies in our support.

I heard it numerous times at Hampden, folk giving him pelters and mentioning Utd.

This is why Gilmour getting games at Norwich is good though. He will be able to adapt his game to how he performs when he has less of the ball. But the better Gilmour becomes the more likely he is to get slated in a Scotland jersey when we continue to be shite. He's well supported now but in 5 years if he's a mainstay in a top side he'll be expected to perform miracles in a Scotland jersey and when he doesn't do it he'll be duly slagged by our wonderful support.

There are an insane amount of bitter Rangers fans online absolutely apoplectic that he chose going to Norwich over going to Ibrox. Apparently playing against Ross County, St Mirren and Livingston twelve games a season is just what a Champions League winner needs to develop his career.

8 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He was brave on the ball and he used it sensibly.

He didn't dictate anything though.

Had an English player offered a similarly tidy performance, it would have gone largely unnoticed.

I'm really not wanting to pretend he wasn't very good, because he was.  He should certainly start in Scotland's Autumn games.

Some are genuinely seeing him as a world beater though and on that, the jury surely remains out for a while yet.

It isn’t just Scotland fans who are talking about him like this though. Norwich put a picture together with quotes on him from Viera, Keane, Fabregas etc all saying how brilliant he currently is, and can be. 

I agree he’s yet to show his full potential, specially since he’s hardly played enough to show he can play consistently well, so he’s not a world beater yet. 

I don’t think it’s fair to cast this as simply Scotland fans overrating one of our own players though, he’s getting these plaudits from everyone atm. 

36 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There are an insane amount of bitter Rangers fans online absolutely apoplectic that he chose going to Norwich over going to Ibrox. Apparently playing against Ross County, St Mirren and Livingston twelve games a season is just what a Champions League winner needs to develop his career.

If only Falkirk were not dicking around in the seaside leagues. 😂 

3 minutes ago, Yflab said:

If only Falkirk were not dicking around in the seaside leagues. 😂 

I’m sure that sounded funny in your head.

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I’m sure that sounded funny in your head.

My team has never played in the seaside leagues. Gonna send us a postcard? 

4 hours ago, Snobot said:

Who are the top young prospects we’ve produced in the time I’ve been watching (c. 82 to now)? (Not talking guys who matured and became top, but not elite eg Collins, MacAllister, Lambert)

McStay - burst onto scene, scored a couple of worldies v Iceland but stayed at Celtic too long, should have gone to Italy when he almost did but tbf v good at Euro 92

Nicholas - brilliant but made a bad move and arguably wasted his talent although still had it at Aberdeen in spades. 

Durrant - seemed to have the lot but for Neil Simpson, still played at good level after injury. 

B Ferguson - bossed European games and v England at Wembley in 99 but perhaps wrong move and stayed in his comfort zone at Rangers

In my subjective opinion, Gilmour is more impressive than all these players in terms of technique and game sense. 

Comments about why isn’t Gilmour winning games single-handed are nonsensical. Does Veratti do that? No, but he makes everything tick and improves everyone around him. I see Gilmour and he reminds me of Veratti.

Gilmour’s best trait IMO is his awareness. He has that owl neck, eyes on back of his head type-thing and the football brain that knows exactly what’s going on around him, who’s where and the next one-or-two passes/moves that are going to happen.

12 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

In common with many, I saw Ronaldo as a bit of a show pony in the early part of his Man United career.  I was clearly wrong.

I do get that Gilmour displays qualities that set him apart a bit.  I think the certainty some on here show with regard to his future, though, displays at least as much hope as judgement.

He really has not played a lot of football at all in front of any of us.

Same regarding Ronaldo for me, he was clearly a rapid tricky player but he had fair few flaws when he first came over. Its pretty ridiculous really to suggest that you knew a player would become world class after a few games, I doubt you would be posting on pnb if that was the case.

Edited by gannonball

Just now, No_Problemo said:

Yes, the video is on the Norwich Facebook of his signing day - around nine minutes in. 

Holy f**k.

Fair fucks to him for getting away from that shite.

18 hours ago, Snobot said:

I think you could probably consider chucking Derek Riordan in this list. A brilliant young talent that could’ve and should’ve gone much further in the game.

Don’t think I need to go into the reasons why he didn’t go on to achieve more.

Nice to see the inevitable "he doesn't take on 10 men a game and score every 30 minutes, HE MUST BE SHITE!!!" approach to any too level Scottish CM seems to be rearing its head again.

We've a genuinely elite kid who's strolling through games in the middle of the park FFS.

20 hours ago, Snobot said:

Scott Brown, could have been world class but had the biggest case of Paul McStay Syndrome since, well, Paul McStay.

Edited by Gaz

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Scottish? Too wee?

Eh?

30 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Scott Brown, could have been world class but had the biggest case of Paul McStay Syndrome since, well, Paul McStay.

f**k me :lol: I am pretty much a Scott Brown Da but no way could he have been world class.