Billy Gilmour

Kuro

I think O’Donnell will be Clarke’s first choice but it is surprising that he is now being held in such high regard despite right back being considered one of our problem positions by most Scotland fans since Hutton retired. Didn’t we even go through a period of playing Tierney there out of position rather than play O’Donnell?

31 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think O’Donnell will be Clarke’s first choice but it is surprising that he is now being held in such high regard despite right back being considered one of our problem positions by most Scotland fans since Hutton retired. Didn’t we even go through a period of playing Tierney there out of position rather than play O’Donnell?

I think we played Tierney there before O’Donnell came into the side. I don’t think he’s played there since O’Donnell came in, though I might be remembering that incorrectly.

Its not that O’Donnell is suddenly a world-beater, it’s just that he has come in and has generally been solid and played well. He’s not made any major mistakes and has been creative going forward.

He suffers from the opposite problem that some players have in that people look at the club he plays for and assume he’s rubbish and shouldn’t be there.

Of course saying that now, he will obviously have a catastrophic Euros and be terrible.  Sod’s law.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a really special player on our hands here. The  'why cant we produce a player like that'  type of player we've wanted for years. As others have said he doesn't play like a Scottish player at all, so calm and technically comfortable on the ball, and plays with a composure i can't really remember any other Scottish player possessing, like a top European player. Exciting stuff.

Not even joking best midfielder in the world in three years time, WPOTY in five. Utterly sensational, and would walk into the Barcelona starting 11 tomorrow and any time for the last year or so. Unbelievable how good he is. 

Should already have 10 caps or more, but from now on every game he starts. Build the team around him. Only caveat 70 minutes just now his level drops a bit as it takes a lot out of a small, slightly built young player. But 70-75 minutes of every game from now on.

Yeah, Modric is a great comparison. 

Gilmour is Scots, so he might even yet develop that legendary Croatian midfielder trait of looking like you are in the Methadone program and make your living selling stolen gammon steaks in pubs. Modric, Prosinecki, Gilmour. 8)

From THAT Liverpool game, I KNEW Billy Gilmour was the future of Scottish football. 
There’s always talk of kids with potential, but his skill set is so unique and it was on display from day one.

Scary to think he might not have made the squad, but for injuries AND the squad getting expanded.

Steve Clarke’s biggest blind spot to date was not knowing this kid was ready long ago. Along with ignoring Gauld.

4 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

From THAT Liverpool game, I KNEW Billy Gilmour was the future of Scottish football. 
There’s always talk of kids with potential, but his skill set is so unique and it was on display from day one.

Scary to think he might not have made the squad, but for injuries AND the squad getting expanded.

Steve Clarke’s biggest blind spot to date was not knowing this kid was ready long ago. Along with ignoring Gauld.

Aye, before last night you could have at least had a stab at making a reasonable argument as to why he wouldn't have gone if it wasnt for those injuries. Lack of game time etc blah blah blah.

But now any explanations look miles out. The lad was top, top class and looks born for the big stage.