Billy Gilmour

Kuro

Just now, Gordopolis said:
3 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:
Aye, the special ones adapt very quickly. Same with Patterson, he would adjust to international football within ten minutes. Other players might take three years, I'm looking at you Stephen O'Donnell.  And he'll never quite have it anyway.
I'd have Patterson in too but no chance for him.

The 26 man squad, plus injuries, might just open the door for him.

I doubt it, but I'd be a lot more confident of him facing up to Sterling or Sancho or whoever. RWB gives me the fear for that game. I genuinely don't think the likes of Sterling will have ever played a single game in his life against as bad a player as O'Donnell. 

4 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Aye, the special ones adapt very quickly. Same with Patterson, he would adjust to international football within ten minutes. Other players might take three years, I'm looking at you Stephen O'Donnell.  And he'll never quite have it anyway.

I'd have Patterson in too but no chance for him.

There's no reason Patterson shouldn't come in for Palmer but as been said won't happen

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

There's no reason Patterson shouldn't come in for Palmer but as been said won't happen

If pushed I prefer Palmer to O'Donnell I think he's a better option. But Clarke loves O'Donnell that's his lovechild so he's bulletproof.  No chance for Patterson though its a come a year too early for him unfortunately.

Tbf to O'Donnell he's not utter shite. He's settled into it and doesn't hide and does an okay job, keeps trying, is mildly physical, decent all rounder. But he just doesn't have it. At best he can do a 6/10 stop-gap job for a wee while, but is definitely a big weakness in our team and not at the standard of the players around him.

Jack will also be a big miss. Those are the areas of concern for me, Jack would have been very important for these games. Also our CB's aren't top drawer but we have a lot of reasonable ones and a system that protects them so we should be okay there.

Liam Palmer playing for a shit team that just got relegated to League 1 should open the door for Patterson. Look at how much the Wednesday fans hate Palmer: https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/300884-liam-palmer/

That's for another thread and another day though. Right now, it's just class to know that we have a central midfielder coming through that has the chance to be great. He might not fulfill his potential - who knows, loads of talented young players never do. But he has a real shot at it.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Liam Palmer playing for a shit team that just got relegated to League 1 should open the door for Patterson. Look at how much the Wednesday fans hate Palmer: https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/300884-liam-palmer/

That's for another thread and another day though. Right now, it's just class to know that we have a central midfielder coming through that has the chance to be great. He might not fulfill his potential - who knows, loads of talented young players never do. But he has a real shot at it.

I would always take stuff like that with a pinch of salt, that's fans whose team have just been relegated. Palmer has played 300 games for them under multiple managers.

I would love to see Patterson in but no chance imo, any tiny hope was gone when he ended his season through his own stupidity. 

Gilmour is sensational, will be one of the best midfielders in the world. He could walk straight into Barcelona's team tomorrow and improve them let alone not look out of place. Absolute class act and one of the best passers in the world.

5 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

If pushed I prefer Palmer to O'Donnell I think he's a better option. But Clarke loves O'Donnell that's his lovechild so he's bulletproof.  No chance for Patterson though its a come a year too early for him unfortunately.

Tbf to O'Donnell he's not utter shite. He's settled into it and doesn't hide and does an okay job, keeps trying, is mildly physical, decent all rounder. But he just doesn't have it. At best he can do a 6/10 stop-gap job for a wee while, but is definitely a big weakness in our team and not at the standard of the players around him.

Jack will also be a big miss. Those are the areas of concern for me, Jack would have been very important for these games. Also our CB's aren't top drawer but we have a lot of reasonable ones and a system that protects them so we should be okay there.

He's a weird player

At first you saw him against Alaba and the mismatch in skills. Alabas eyes lit up

By second half odonnel was bizarrely bossing him

Performances like that why better than Palmer even though in reality he is dogshit

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I would always take stuff like that with a pinch of salt, that's fans whose team have just been relegated. Palmer has played 300 games for them under multiple managers.

I would love to see Patterson in but no chance imo, any tiny hope was gone when he ended his season through his own stupidity. 

Gilmour is sensational, will be one of the best midfielders in the world. He could walk straight into Barcelona's team tomorrow and improve them let alone not look out of place. Absolute class act and one of the best passers in the world.

I love getting carried away as much as the next guy mate. But I think you need to pump the brakes a wee bit. Gilmour has a shot but he does have some limitations to overcome. He's only 5'7 and he isn't very strong, so he's going to have to work a bit harder to overcome the athleticism deficit. Doesn't mean he can't do it, but it's harder for him to hit the top end of his potential than it would be for a similar player that's 6'2/190lbs.

6 minutes ago, Binos said:

He's a weird player

At first you saw him against Alaba and the mismatch in skills. Alabas eyes lit up

By second half odonnel was bizarrely bossing him

Performances like that why better than Palmer even though in reality he is dogshit

He has strong points, he's at his peak now, playing lots of games so nice and sharp and quite experienced. Also okay physically strong-ish almost big mobile enough and keeps trying. Puts in an okay cross sometimes and seems to have a good temperament. So he's not utter shit, he just isn't quite the standard of the other players or what we would want.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

I love getting carried away as much as the next guy mate. But I think you need to pump the brakes a wee bit. Gilmour has a shot but he does have some limitations to overcome. He's only 5'7 and he isn't very strong, so he's going to have to work a bit harder to overcome the athleticism deficit. Doesn't mean he can't do it, but it's harder for him to hit the top end of his potential than it would be for a similar player that's 6'2/190lbs.

That's true but not in the right team, he's not that type of player. Xavi was the exact same, to me Gilmour is clearly going right to the top and will spend a decade as a big player for one of the best teams in the world. It just might not be Chelsea. He is so good on the ball and so composed, you don't see many players like that at his age. I think he's born to play in Europe too so would like to see him move to the continent eventually. The EPL is the most physical league in the world so a player like that would flourish more in a more technical league like La Liga.

6 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

That's true but not in the right team, he's not that type of player. Xavi was the exact same, to me Gilmour is clearly going right to the top and will spend a decade as a big player for one of the best teams in the world. It just might not be Chelsea. He is so good on the ball and so composed, you don't see many players like that at his age. I think he's born to play in Europe too so would like to see him move to the continent eventually. The EPL is the most physical league in the world so a player like that would flourish more in a more technical league like La Liga.

His game doesn't have many weaknesses technically, but the physical limitations are real. It has become unpopular to judge prospects on size and strength in recent years, because some youth coaches weighted them way too heavily (Jimmy Sinclair springs to mind). But it does still matter - players are athletes and athleticism is important. Small teams aren't successful - it's one of the reasons Celtic were awful this year.

I'm still very, very high on him. He definitely does have top-10-in-the-world potential, and he can be a do-it-all player capable of playing anywhere in midfield at a very high level. But he needs to make the right moves this summer. If he can get 30 games in a top-five league this year, it would do him the world of good.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

His game doesn't have many weaknesses technically, but the physical limitations are real. It has become unpopular to judge prospects on size and strength in recent years, because some youth coaches weighted them way too heavily (Jimmy Sinclair springs to mind). But it does still matter - players are athletes and athleticism is important. Small teams aren't successful - it's one of the reasons Celtic were awful this year.

I'm still very, very high on him. He definitely does have top-10-in-the-world potential, and he can be a do-it-all player capable of playing anywhere in midfield at a very high level. But he needs to make the right moves this summer. If he can get 30 games in a top-five league this year, it would do him the world of good.

Actually, the Barca team under Pep that was called the best club side of all time was also the smallest team in Europe at the time too. Interesting fact for you, they were all small Xavi, Iniesta, Messi etc.

Football is getting more and more physical but there will always be room for the technicians and Gilmour will get stronger too as he gets older. Totally agree about next season.

5 hours ago, G51 said:

Playing at 19 in the most physical league in the world suggests he will be fine. By the age of 22 he will have put on quite a bit more bulk. Ryan Gauld is built like a tank these days, albeit quite a small one. 

Edited by woof!

9 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Actually, the Barca team under Pep that was called the best club side of all time was also the smallest team in Europe at the time too. Interesting fact for you, they were all small Xavi, Iniesta, Messi etc.

Football is getting more and more physical but there will always be room for the technicians and Gilmour will get stronger too as he gets older. Totally agree about next season.

They ruined football

They were dazzling talented but to counteract their size chucked themselves to the deck at every slight touch

Which has just now become the norm

Yes, pep has ruined football

1 hour ago, Binos said:

They ruined football

They were dazzling talented but to counteract their size chucked themselves to the deck at every slight touch

Which has just now become the norm

Yes, pep has ruined football

Christ, thats an opinion. A bizarre one, but its an opinion.

3 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Christ, thats an opinion. A bizarre one, but its an opinion.

Otto rehagel also popularized playing one up front

It happens, a successful team and everyone copies it

17 hours ago, Binos said:

Looking at his performance second half today his lack of game time is baffling

Tuchel has fucked up, should have been rotating him in well before now

Chelsea wouldn't have done any better had Gilmour played more.  That’s completely irrelevant to whether he should have been called up before now, though.  There are five or six established midfielders ahead of him in the Chelsea squad.    Were he English, nobody here would be clambering for him to get picked.  Understandably so, for more than one reason. 

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Chelsea wouldn't have done any better had Gilmour played more.  That’s completely irrelevant to whether he should have been called up before now, though.  There are five or six established midfielders ahead of him in the Chelsea squad.    Were he English, nobody here would be clambering for him to get picked.  Understandably so, for more than one reason. 

The role he plays there is one, jorginho

Who tuchel has almost without a break since he's come in