Billy Gilmour

Kuro

Gilmour occupies the same part of the pitch but he's nothing like Jack in terms of his style of play. Jack is aggressive, terrier like and covers lots of ground, Gilmour is a vastly better footballer but the physical side is where he is weakest. For me he's more similar to (and probably better than) McGregor.

Jack missing out means we're probably going to have to rethink the midfield shape anyway though, because the rest of the midfielders Clarke has used are all very different to Jack.

[mention=24974]Gordopolis[/mention], given Gilmour's a cut above the likes of Gauld, would it be fair to suggest a career in a more upmarket fast food place, such as Nando's or TGI Friday's? 
Let's not get carried away about the lad. Nando's - and particularly TGI Fridays - require a certain level of technique that Scottish players rarely possess. Maybe a Frankie and Benny's gig, but I'm not sure he could handle the pace there - probably be back in the BK drive thru within half a season, tail between his legs.

On 16/04/2021 at 19:55, velo army said:

Given we've now lost Jack is there a case for Gilmour being called up? I haven't seen enough of him (I guess few have) but is he a DCM or more of a box to box type? 

Its hard to say definitely, as he's played so few games. And he's played a few different roles when he was younger.

For Chelsea hes been a deep lying playmaker and been very effective. Despite his small stature. He reads the game so well, and shows surprising strength to win and keep the ball.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see him move further forward as his career progresses.

With Mount starting ahead of him tonight and Emerson always coming on instead of him, it seems Gilmour's sixth choice now. Sort of makes a mockery of Tuchel saying he's only not playing because of Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho.

I’ve seen Tuchel say in the media twice now, that he doesn’t care about his players personal goals, only what is good for the team. He said it in relation to both Gilmour and to either Hudson-Odoi or Tammy Abraham. 

Whilst obviously he’s going to put the teams interests first, it seems pretty short-sighted to say you don’t care about what your players care about. Especially when most of them want to play or progress at least, that’s not really contrary to Chelsea’s interests either. 

if you just say “I don’t care about you achieving what you want” the players will stop trusting him.

On 20/04/2021 at 20:37, accies1874 said:

With Mount starting ahead of him tonight and Emerson always coming on instead of him, it seems Gilmour's sixth choice now. Sort of makes a mockery of Tuchel saying he's only not playing because of Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho.

Right.  He’s not playing because all of those players are much better than he is, but Tuchel can’t really come out and say that.  Maybe Gilmour will play more regularly in the future, maybe he won’t. Maybe he’ll go out on loan, maybe he’ll get sold.  There’s absolutely no case for him to be starting league games right now with all those guys ahead of him.   The pressure being put on this kid by Scotland fans is unreal.  It happened to McStay, McLair, McAllister, Fletcher and now Robertson.  The Scottish players with a little bit of flair have unrealistic expectations made of them, whereas relatively limited players like John McGinn get a free pass whatever he does, because there isn’t that same level expectation.

Much of that is an aside to the question of whether he is currently better than the other players in the Scotland midfield.   And anyway, it’s not always the best players who make Steve Clarke’s squad.

Right.  He’s not playing because all of those players are much better than he is, but Tuchel can’t really come out and say that.  Maybe Gilmour will play more regularly in the future, maybe he won’t. Maybe he’ll go out on loan, maybe he’ll get sold.  There’s absolutely no case for him to be starting league games right now with all those guys ahead of him.   The pressure being put on this kid by Scotland fans is unreal.  It happened to McStay, McLair, McAllister, Fletcher and now Robertson.  The Scottish players with a little bit of flair have unrealistic expectations made of them, whereas relatively limited players like John McGinn get a free pass whatever he does, because there isn’t that same level expectation.
Much of that is an aside to the question of whether he is currently better than the other players in the Scotland midfield.   And anyway, it’s not always the best players who make Steve Clarke’s squad.
Decent post, except the bit about John McGinn being limited.

53 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I’ve seen Tuchel say in the media twice now, that he doesn’t care about his players personal goals, only what is good for the team. He said it in relation to both Gilmour and to either Hudson-Odoi or Tammy Abraham. 

Whilst obviously he’s going to put the teams interests first, it seems pretty short-sighted to say you don’t care about what your players care about. Especially when most of them want to play or progress at least, that’s not really contrary to Chelsea’s interests either. 

if you just say “I don’t care about you achieving what you want” the players will stop trusting him.

Tuchel is also the only person outwith greedy owners who has came out in support of the ESL, he is a nasty piece of shit.

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Decent post, except the bit about John McGinn being limited.

Relatively speaking, John McGinn is far from the most technical player in the current squad.  He’s also had games where he’s been utterly ineffectual.  I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying that.  

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

Tuchel comes across as an utter p***k tbh. It is a shame he is doing well so far. 

Fans get excited about exciting players.