Billy Gilmour

Kuro

48 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He's surely gonna start?

Hard to say, they still have Kovacic and.......I'm forgetting the other one........Jorginho.  Good players and senior pros, also sometimes they only play one holding type midfielder, and are playing Fulham who are shite. So I wouldn't say its guaranteed he starts but its possible.

14 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

Fulham were excellent in the second half against Spurs on Wednesday. Have really picked up in the last few weeks so could be a challenging game for Chelsea.

Aye but excellent schmexcellent though, Spurs allowed them back in the game by applying the classic Mourinho tactic of curling up into a ball and covering their head after taking the lead, a top side would have stamped their authority on the game and got the second goal.

Chelsea should deal with them easily enough or their players have underperformed.

Hard to say, they still have Kovacic and.......I'm forgetting the other one........Jorginho.  Good players and senior pros, also sometimes they only play one holding type midfielder, and are playing Fulham who are shite. So I wouldn't say its guaranteed he starts but its possible.
Hopefully bringing on Gilmour ahead of Jorginho in the City game was a sign of things to come - at least in the very, very short term.

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
2 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Hopefully bringing on Gilmour ahead of Jorginho in the City game was a sign of things to come - at least in the very, very short term.

Aye, I think he's exceptional and will progress very quickly. Its a big ask to dislodge guys like that but he's a wee bit special.

4 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Disappointing but not particularly surprising. Hopefully he gets on.

I agree, but at this point I'd like to see him get a loan for the season. Just to get some experience and push on into the squad.

Saying that tho, you read all the time. "He won't get in the squad from Chelsea's bench". But if you actually look at Chelsea's bench they would all get in our squad.  The majority walking straight in our team and improving it.

22 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I agree, but at this point I'd like to see him get a loan for the season. Just to get some experience and push on into the squad.

Saying that tho, you read all the time. "He won't get in the squad from Chelsea's bench". But if you actually look at Chelsea's bench they would all get in our squad.  The majority walking straight in our team and improving it.

Yeah he's in a funny position its easier to get in his national team than his club team. But I think it all might just come too quick for him, he is still only 19 and has played about 16 games of professional football in his life.

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yeah he's in a funny position its easier to get in his national team than his club team. But I think it all might just come too quick for him, he is still only 19 and has played about 16 games of professional football in his life.

I bow to your superior experience of coming too quick 😉

On 16/01/2021 at 23:03, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yeah he's in a funny position its easier to get in his national team than his club team. 

I don't think this is an uncommon position nowadays. If you look at the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern, PSG etc. almost every single member of their squad is an international and only 11 can play every week. Giroud isn't a nailed on starter but is likely to still get picked for France and they are the current world cup holders.

I don't think this is an uncommon position nowadays. If you look at the likes of Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Bayern, PSG etc. almost every single member of their squad is an international and only 11 can play every week. Giroud isn't a nailed on starter but is likely to still get picked for France and they are the current world cup holders.
I guess the distinction is that, unlike someone like Giroud, Gilmour doesn't have much of a career behind him on which to justify international selection. Really frustrating.

ETA: just noticed he remained on the bench again tonight Vs Leicester. No shame in that but time is limited for him to make a clear case for inclusion in the Euros squad.

7 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I guess the distinction is that, unlike someone like Giroud, Gilmour doesn't have much of a career behind him on which to justify international selection. Really frustrating.

ETA: just noticed he remained on the bench again tonight Vs Leicester. No shame in that but time is limited for him to make a clear case for inclusion in the Euros squad.

Aye he needs to establish himself first. Its totally different to someone like Giroud who is an established player. 

He can only do that by playing club games, but, ironically, its harder to get into his club team than his national team.

I said a while back I think the Euros will come a wee bit soon for him most likely, which is a shame but hey ho.

22 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye he needs to establish himself first. Its totally different to someone like Giroud who is an established player. 

He can only do that by playing club games, but, ironically, its harder to get into his club team than his national team.

I said a while back I think the Euros will come a wee bit soon for him most likely, which is a shame but hey ho.

It's not

He's never been selected for one of our full squads, only u21s

As you correctly say, as not an established player, and getting no game time. He has no chance of the manager calling him up