Billy Gilmour

Kuro

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
5 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
Darren Fletcher was a phenomenal player. He won the Premiership about six times that's absolutely top drawer stuff.

He was a really good player. But the abuse he used to get whenever I went to Hampden was unreal: "He fucking shows up for United but is utter pish for us". Lost count the number of times shite like this was shouted.

What can you do there's a lot of idiots out there. You don't play 300 odd games including huge injury and illness problems for Man Utd under Ferguson without being a top player. If not for misfortune he would have got to 500 games for them easy, maybe more.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
20 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
Darren Fletcher was a phenomenal player. He won the Premiership about six times that's absolutely top drawer stuff.

He was a really good player. But the abuse he used to get whenever I went to Hampden was unreal: "He fucking shows up for United but is utter pish for us". Lost count the number of times shite like this was shouted.

Gary McCallister got the same treatment, to the point he told the national team to shove it.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Gary McCallister got the same treatment, to the point he told the national team to shove it.

Aye, was a shame. I think a lot of people are better educated about the game by now, but there will always be a ton of idiots. 

He was also marred by missing that penalty. If you go back and watch it now, its quite amazing, the ball really does move right before he hits it. Can you imagine taking the biggest penalty of your life and the ball moves a fraction of a second before you hit it?  That's pretty rough like.  On Scotland too, but on him personally. He was a brilliant striker of the ball and experienced etc, you'd definitely have backed him to score if that didn't happen.

f**k Uri Geller.

We need to come up with some sort of formation that lets us start all of Gilmour, McTominay, McGregor, McGinn and Armstrong. Potentially the latter two playing off McBurnie in a narrow sort of 4-3-3.

As mentioned above the defence is trickier. Robertson obviously starts at left back and gives you some of that width you'd be missing with the players listed above, and we need to find a way to start Tierney as well who is also borderline world class. I'd stick him at right back. Ideally Leeds will go up and Cooper will keep starting games for them. I think Ben White carries him a little bit despite Cooper being the captain and we have nothing near that quality to put alongside him unfortunately.

I think we have the basis of a team which would sit in somewhere in the range of 15-20th in Europe. We should certainly be qualifying for a 24 team Euros.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye, was a shame. I think a lot of people are better educated about the game by now, but there will always be a ton of idiots. 

He was also marred by missing that penalty. If you go back and watch it now, its quite amazing, the ball really does move right before he hits it. Can you imagine taking the biggest penalty of your life and the ball moves a fraction of a second before you hit it?  That's pretty rough like.  On Scotland too, but on him personally. He was a brilliant striker of the ball and experienced etc, you'd definitely have backed him to score if that didn't happen.

f**k Uri Geller.

The folk that go to Scotland games, especially away from home, tend to be dense farmer types who hate players like McBurnie for being a combo of English/H()ns/rolling their socks up, and love players who have plodded around for Aberdeen or Dundee Utd like Shinnie, Shonklun or Kenny McLean.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

We need to come up with some sort of formation that lets us start all of Gilmour, McTominay, McGregor, McGinn and Armstrong. Potentially the latter two playing off McBurnie in a narrow sort of 4-3-3.

As mentioned above the defence is trickier. Robertson obviously starts at left back and gives you some of that width you'd be missing with the players listed above, and we need to find a way to start Tierney as well who is also borderline world class. I'd stick him at right back. Ideally Leeds will go up and Cooper will keep starting games for them. I think Ben White carries him a little bit despite Cooper being the captain and we have nothing near that quality to put alongside him unfortunately.

I think we have the basis of a team which would sit in somewhere in the range of 15-20th in Europe. We should certainly be qualifying for a 24 team Euros.

I think Tierney could play left-side CB. We don't have many good defenders and he is a natural defender. He could play right too it doesn't matter.

I think McKenna is the guy to hang your hat on, he will be pretty solid for the next few campaigns. I'd like to see someone come through to partner him soon, but for now Tierney could do it, though we have no RB either and he is maybe better used there.

Btw Liam Morrison had his first ever training session with Bayern u19s today, he's stepped up a level. Only turned 17 a few months ago so he definitely has a chance.

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The folk that go to Scotland games, especially away from home, tend to be dense farmer types who hate players like McBurnie for being a combo of English/H()ns/rolling their socks up, and love players who have plodded around for Aberdeen or Dundee Utd like Shinnie, Shonklun or Kenny McLean.

I wouldn't say tend. I'd say they're a vocal minority but there are a lot of them.

I think Tierney could play left-side CB. We don't have many good defenders and he is a natural defender. He could play right too it doesn't matter.

I think McKenna is the guy to hang your hat on, he will be pretty solid for the next few campaigns. I'd like to see someone come through to partner him soon, but for now Tierney could do it, though we have no RB either and he is maybe better used there.

Btw Liam Morrison had his first ever training session with Bayern u19s today, he's stepped up a level. Only turned 17 a few months ago so he definitely has a chance.

I don't mind Palmer and would have him in the squad as the back up. Would I be insane for thinking Forrest could maybe do a job at right back with the narrow set up I mentioned above? Probably yes but still better than the folk who cream their drawers over Matt Phillips or want Gilmour to go out on loan to the likes of "Vitesse Arnhem" when he's starting games regularly for Chelsea.

I wouldn't say tend. I'd say they're a vocal minority but there are a lot of them.

I tend to end up next to them at every game I go to. 

Yes Shug you're right, I cannot imagine why a 20m striker whose game is bringing others into play and creating space for midfielders (our strongest position) is getting a start ahead of "the loddy Shonklun" who was playing against Alloa the week before. And yes I know "the goals dinny move ken".

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I don't mind Palmer and would have him in the squad as the back up. Would I be insane for thinking Forrest could maybe do a job at right back with the narrow set up I mentioned above? Probably yes but still better than the folk who cream their drawers over Matt Phillips or want Gilmour to go out on loan to the likes of "Vitesse Arnhem" when he's starting games regularly for Chelsea.

Palmer is decent, quite good physically, composed, quite experienced competitive etc and at his peak now, but just six out of ten all round. Not a bad option but a bit meh.

Forrest actually has good defensive strengths from wide he takes responsibility and works hard the way a lot of wingers don't. I'm not sure about defending in and around the box and covering in behind his CB, and he is a great asset with his pace further forward. If we were a more attacking team that dominated games maybe but in most games I think he'd struggle.

I actually suggested Vitesse for Gimour, but he wasn't starting games at the time.

Edited by Carnoustie Young Guvnor

59 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye but those people are idiots can be dismissed. Barry Ferguson was a phenomenal player, just a shame he's a small minded type who couldn't see past Ibrox. He could have left Rangers at 19 or 21 and played for one of the top clubs in the world in Italy, Spain, England wherever he wanted. Tremendous player.

Yet he ended up at...Birmingham was it? He was a very good player but nowhere near a real Madrid/ac Milan  player.

24 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Our  centre midfield options are excellent and it is our strongest area. However, you can't shoehorn 5 centre mids into a team especially when you have the options of Fraser and Forrest out wide.

14 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Yes Shug you're right, I cannot imagine why a 20m striker whose game is bringing others into play and creating space for midfielders (our strongest position) is getting a start ahead of "the loddy Shonklun" who was playing against Alloa the week before. And yes I know "the goals dinny move ken".

I've seen that 20million pound player in quite a few games now and he's been rank rotten in each one.  I don't think Shankland is the answer either btw, and perhaps you're not the tactical genius you think you are when you're cramming 5 centre mids into your team 'ken'.  

1 minute ago, GTG_03 said:

Yet he ended up at...Birmingham was it? He was a very good player but nowhere near a real Madrid/ac Milan  player.

Our  centre midfield options are excellent and it is our strongest area. However, you can't shoehorn 5 centre mids into a team especially when you have the options of Fraser and Forrest out wide.

I've seen that 20million pound player in quite a few games now and he's been rank rotten in each one.  I don't think Shankland is the answer either btw, and perhaps you're not the tactical genius you think you are when you're cramming 5 centre mids into your team 'ken'.  

No but he was definitely a Valencia/Roma standard player easy, and could have spent a decade at a club like that.

17 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

You seem to be assuming all "centre mids" are identical to each other. If it says "CM" on FIFA that doesn't mean the players need to play one of the middle two spots in a 4-4-2 in real life. Have you watched a Southampton game this season, for example? Armstrong has been playing wide in a front three and has been their best player apart from Ings over the last few months. Robertson gives you the width you're missing down the left.

Players need to be fluid and being comfortable on the ball and tactically aware of how to do a number of different things is far more important than making sure the position goes green on Ultimate Team.

If you think McBurnie is "rank rotten" then I don't know what to say to you. Sheffield United have confounded all expectations this season and he's a nailed on starter for them after paying 20m for him. I'd imagine you'd have them pushing Liverpool if you were in charge instead of Chris Wilder, given how dense he must be to pay that much for a "rank rotten" striker and then start him in every game.

Edited by Marshmallo

22 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

He signed for Birmingham when he was 31. The more relevant transfer would be his £7.5m move to Blackburn, who were probably a similar level of side to what Leicester are now, at the age of 25, which should have been the launchpad for his career but for a bad injury and his own homesickness (the two of which may have been related).

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He signed for Birmingham when he was 31. The more relevant transfer would be his £7.5m move to Blackburn, who were probably a similar level of side to what Leicester are now, at the age of 25, which should have been the launchpad for his career but for a bad injury and his own homesickness (the two of which may have been related).

7.5m was a huge amount of money back then. He was made club captain at 26 too.

EDIT: Just checked and Blackburn finished 6th the season before he signed, just 7 points off the top 4.

Edited by Marshmallo

Probably said it before but I mind there was a game I was moaning about Kenny Miller and some other (Rangers) player. They were both having absolute nightmares and me and my pal were bemoaning their performance. Two fuckwits in front of us turned around and said "take it youz urr Celtic fans then?!" We calmly explained there are more than 2 sides in Scotland and that just because the two shite players were Rangers players didn't automatically make us Celtic fans for pointing it out. I thought, how fucking tragic is that? I assume these kind of idiots don't hear a bad word said about their club players regardless of how shite a game they are having.

The tartan army really are awful. Fletcher the best Scottish player this century for me. Not that there’s much competition right enough.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Not necessarily. There might be a formation we can play that includes all of them and works well, but there’s no point just cramming so many centre mids in for the sake of it either. You risk losing balance and hampering the rest of the team when you do that.

The best “team” doesn’t always mean the 11 best players regardless of what position they play. If it did then we’d end up playing a 2-8-0 probably.

Edited by eez-eh