Billy Gilmour

Kuro

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

No he hasn't.

Playing fast and loose with the terms "tremendously talented" and "excellent technique" here. He's not Zico.

When you watch him on the ball it is very clear that he has a lot of ability. His body shape, first touch, weight of pass and general game intelligence in possession are all very good. I am not convinced he is a natural full-back though - he seems a wee bit shoehorned into that role, and his lack of defensive ability is obvious.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

When you watch him on the ball it is very clear that he has a lot of ability. His body shape, first touch, weight of pass and general game intelligence in possession are all very good. I am not convinced he is a natural full-back though - he seems a wee bit shoehorned into that role, and his lack of defensive ability is obvious.

Probably needing to start a new thread for this fella (before we get into Harry Souttar levels of derailment) but where do you see him playing m77?

The next Callum Paterson?

Callum Paterson has absolutely none of those things, but is just very physically fit and strong. In terms of where Hickey should play, I'd have thought he looks more like a natural creative midfielder in the sort of Shaun Maloney or Santi Cazorla mould. A player who is clearly very good but for whom it's hard to pin down exactly where to pick them.

On 10/03/2020 at 17:18, printer said:

Why do you think Clarke will 'shoehorn' Mcgregor in?

Because he's a safe option. He won't do anything brilliant but he'll play the safe pass 9/10. Some folk rate that but for me I like a player who has a bit more about them.

McGregor for me has not got the quality to really influence games at a high level.

Callum Paterson has absolutely none of those things, but is just very physically fit and strong. In terms of where Hickey should play, I'd have thought he looks more like a natural creative midfielder in the sort of Shaun Maloney or Santi Cazorla mould. A player who is clearly very good but for whom it's hard to pin down exactly where to pick them.
Yeah Paterson was certainly never Santi cazorla [emoji38]
I just meant another young, promising Hearts full back who isn't really a full back.

14 hours ago, Shteve said:

Because he's a safe option. He won't do anything brilliant but he'll play the safe pass 9/10. Some folk rate that but for me I like a player who has a bit more about them.

McGregor for me has not got the quality to really influence games at a high level.

Teams need players like that. Provides balance and allows more mercurial talent to play.  Too many and you lack creativity, too few and you're playing basketball. 

One thing I really don't understand is why we never think to play one of these stuffy midfielders we have at right or centre back. Perhaps because McTominay wold be the best candidate and we need him further forward. 

Edited by The Algebraist

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

By the time the next squad is announced Billy Gilly will be to old.

Exactly, get the under-3s in instead! Enough of this prehistoric attitude!

Edited by Gordopolis

• 1 month later...