Billy Gilmour

Kuro

8 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

McGregor shows flashes in Europe of being a genuinely top player technically but he's not been great for Scotland, although the play style doesn't really suit him. Still early days with Gilmour but if he plays well in the rest of the games in the run up to Israel it'll get to the point where you can't justify not playing him if we have a player playing like that at PL level. Not sure how McGinn will be coming back form his injury , but if he gets a run of games i'd be happy with a midfield of McTominay, McGinn and Gilmour. I'd like to see Christie slotted in somewhere as he's looked lively and is different to other players we have, but not sure where he'd get in.  

We could play Christie in front of the 3 but I think Armstrong is a better player tbh. 

McGregor is not tested enough. He plays a lot of games but in a lot of these games  c.40 he’s not fully tested as Celtic are miles in front. 

52 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

McGregor shows flashes in Europe of being a genuinely top player technically but he's not been great for Scotland, although the play style doesn't really suit him. Still early days with Gilmour but if he plays well in the rest of the games in the run up to Israel it'll get to the point where you can't justify not playing him if we have a player playing like that at PL level. Not sure how McGinn will be coming back form his injury , but if he gets a run of games i'd be happy with a midfield of McTominay, McGinn and Gilmour. I'd like to see Christie slotted in somewhere as he's looked lively and is different to other players we have, but not sure where he'd get in.  

McGregor for me is massively overrated, yeh he's fairly tidy on the ball but outwith playing against relative diddys in the Scottish premiership, he doesn't stand out, infact I think he has been poor for Scotland more often than not.

Clark will shoehorn him in somewhere but he's not good enough to get in the Scotland midfield if it was up to me.

7 minutes ago, Shteve said:

McGregor for me is massively overrated, yeh he's fairly tidy on the ball but outwith playing against relative diddys in the Scottish premiership, he doesn't stand out, infact I think he has been poor for Scotland more often than not.

Clark will shoehorn him in somewhere but he's not good enough to get in the Scotland midfield if it was up to me.

I'm not sure why people think mcgregor is a big Clarke favourite, who he will just always play. Until very recently he's not had much competition for that linking midfield role.

Armstrong was way out the picture for Southampton, and flecks only really started stating a major claim recently.

And Gilmour was playing youth football.

Now there is actually serious competition, I don't think he will keep his place.

It’s looking a bit healthier for Scotland now. Gilmour is looking good, as is McTominay. Armstrong is playing more regularly again and Griffiths is back and in good form. 

if only we could grow some central defenders we’d be peachy. 

56 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Christie has been excellent pretty much every time I've seen him play for Scotland. A first name on the teamsheet for me - certainly should be ahead of Fraser. 

I don't think so actually.  Fraser is a top performer who has proved himself over a long period of time at the highest level.  

Christie has a lot to offer but I don't think he is ahead of Fraser, for me Fraser is a nailed on starter, ahead of all our other wide players.

In the off chance he gets thrown in against Israel and plays shite then where do we go from there?
We probably pick him again for the final like along with 10 other players who have been shite for Scotland at least once in their career.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
18 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:
In the off chance he gets thrown in against Israel and plays shite then where do we go from there?

We probably pick him again for the final like along with 10 other players who have been shite for Scotland at least once in their career.

If you don't think there's any downside to throwing in a young lad and the possible negative effect it could have on him then fair enough. Especially when he plays in our strongest position.

If he was a right back or centre half then I'd be more willing to throw the lad in.

If he does get the Jersey then I honestly hope he lives up to the hype.

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

If you don't think there's any downside to throwing in a young lad and the possible negative effect it could have on him then fair enough. Especially when he plays in our strongest position.

If he was a right back or centre half then I'd be more willing to throw the lad in.

If he does get the Jersey then I honestly hope he lives up to the hype.

I think this is massively overplayed.  I couldn't name a single time in football history when a young player has been hugely damaged in this way.  I think you underestimate the mental strength these guys have to get where they are, especially today.

If he gets chucked in and it doesn't go well he'll be over it in a fortnight, its really not a risk in any way.

And I'd be much more wary about throwing in an 18 centre half as it happens.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

That’s such a glass half full attitude. What if he starts against Israel and plays like Iniesta? There was a bit of pressure on him today to perform after the plaudits he got during the week, and he turned in another excellent performance. Get him in the team and watch him go. Even if he does have a bad game that doesn’t mean he’s a lost cause, I’m sure he’s had plenty of bad games for Chelsea reserves and he’s been able to turn in 2 MOTM performances for the first team. 

I think he’s probably dealing with more pressure just now at Chelsea than he will with Scotland.  The expectation to play brilliantly and win is much bigger there than with Scotland.

I think in his case as well, the way the likes of Lampard and Barkley have been talking about him, he sounds mentally tough enough to cope with it.

Clarke doesn’t come across as either stupid or unreasonable, I would trust him to get players into the team and to manage them well - I suspect people management is the strongest part of his coaching ability.

He's set to be named in the u21 squad. FWIW, when John Souttar made his debut he was initially in the u21 squad simply because it was announced before the senior one. I'm still not sure Clarke will go for him though.

I don’t apologise. This kid is going to be huge for us.

eg - The screenshot shows Gilmour receiving the ball from his RB with two Everton players behind him.

You all know that 99% of players would have passed it straight back. Instead Gilmour turns, plays the ball into Giroud’s feet and five seconds later Chelsea have scored.

In the modern game every team needs a player like this, but they’re rare.

8F3B1C32-20F2-4373-B38D-13C5F0D5A773.jpeg