Billy Gilmour

Kuro

On what we have seen tonight, it’s enough to at least get him in the squad. There’s still a good 3 and bit weeks till the game so hopefully he features again in a few Chelsea games. 

Do the under 21s have games coming up? I could see Clarke wanting him to still play full games with the 21s as opposed to maybe coming on for 20 mins against Israel. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Definitely think he's ahead of McLean on this evidence. Probably wouldn't start him still.

The plump, laboured, one-footed guy from Norwich? I would hope Scotland have many better options than him. Talk about damning with faint praise, he might be better than McLean. Anyway, didn't see the Chelsea game since I was watching the Edinburgh derby. I know it's daft to acclaim a young player as the new Barry Ferguson, or Billy Bremner or Graeme Souness, but who would you liken him  too? As a physical specimen (short and sylph-like) I can't think of a comparable player.

On 16/06/2018 at 16:59, RandomGuy. said:

Excellent news, tbf. Might turn out a disaster but it'll be better than spending eight years at Chelsea, making three Carabao Cup appearances and spending six years on loan to Dutch second division clubs. 

Billy Gilmour, take note. 

Post of the decade from when some c**t called "Harvey St Clair" went to play for "Venezia" in the Abroad League

10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Post of the decade from when some c**t called "Harvey St Clair" went to play for "Venezia" in the Abroad League

Is now not even good enough to make the bench at Killie. 

Didn’t see the game last night (watched the WBA v Newcastle match instead) but it’s pleasing to hear that Gilmore impressed and is on the cusp of becoming a regular at Chelsea.

I think, over the years, that enough people have pointed out that the lad has talent and his time at International level will come, but 1 or 2 Play Offs to get to a major tournament after all those years, really isn’t the time to blood players in.

Go with the tried as tested for these matches and then look past that for the Nations League games later in the year, if Gilmour is still doing it then he needs to be a serious consideration.

On 04/10/2019 at 12:47, The Moonster said:

Hmm, I'm not sure that's really how we need to play it. This qualification group is gone for us - we won't qualify from it. So focus is on the NL and forward from that. Guys like Snodgrass won't be around much longer, certainly not beyond 2020, why not put Gilmour into this squad and get him his first cap against San Marino?

I'd have been much more experimental with this squad if I was Clarke, but I concede that it's me sitting in a office job and him sitting in the Scotland dugout, but I think Gilmour at least could have been included here. 

It was argued when I said this back in October that Gilmour shouldn't be included, we needed our best players in October to prepare for March.

5 months later folk are saying he should be called up for our important March games after 1 performance in the FA Cup. 

Clarke was there last night watching. Still think it's unlikely Gilmour gets in the squad based on what Clarke said in October.
A couple more starts before the squad announcement might put some pressure on but I dont see anything more than as a possible late call-up due to injuries.

40 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

1 performance in the FA Cup, or the best player on the park against the best team in the world?

Depends how you look at it I suppose.

This is entirely my point though, we are so reactionary with this stuff it's unreal. It was clear in October that Gilmour was progressing really well and Chelsea were delighted with him, we should've involved him during the nothing games we had in October and there would be no questions over calling him up now. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

This is entirely my point though, we are so reactionary with this stuff it's unreal. It was clear in October that Gilmour was progressing really well and Chelsea were delighted with him, we should've involved him during the nothing games we had in October and there would be no questions over calling him up now. 

Gilmour looked bang average in the u21 matches against the Czech Republic and Greece only a couple of months back. We drew one of them 0-0 and lost the other 0-1.

Scotland at the moment has a very strong midfield with experienced players playing for big clubs at the highest level, as such I don't think we should be parachuting anyone straight into a squad on the back of one performance just because he's being hyped up by various commentators and former players.

Yes, the boy undoubtedly has talent, Yes, Chelsea do rate him and Yes I'd like to think / hope he has a huge future ahead of him, however despite his very good performance against Liverpool last night I think we need to have a reality check.

If however, he starts to get a run in the Chelsea first team and is performing well then by all means I'd agree that he would most definitely merit a call up, but at the moment I don't think I'd be dropping a Scott McTominay, Ryan Christie, Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong, a fit again John McGinn or even a John Fleck or Ryan Jack to accommodate him.

5 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Didn’t see the game last night (watched the WBA v Newcastle match instead) but it’s pleasing to hear that Gilmore impressed and is on the cusp of becoming a regular at Chelsea.

I think, over the years, that enough people have pointed out that the lad has talent and his time at International level will come, but 1 or 2 Play Offs to get to a major tournament after all those years, really isn’t the time to blood players in.

Go with the tried as tested for these matches and then look past that for the Nations League games later in the year, if Gilmour is still doing it then he needs to be a serious consideration.

100% this.