Billy Gilmour

Kuro

Getting very good reviews tonight. Encouraging even if it was against a League 2 team.

It’s enough for one Ex-England International (was it Jamie Rednapp I seen maybe) tip him to be the Midfield player that Chelsea build their team around “for years to come”.

Not like the English to jump the gun about young players........but then we are equally as guilty.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:
10 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
Gilmour could be playing in the first team scoring goals galore for Chelsea, but he won't get picked, he's too young.

It's wild that people exist in the world who actually believe this sort of thing.

And the sad thing is, it's actually true; he won't get in the next squad. 

11 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
17 hours ago, Staggie_93 said:
Get him in the next squad f**k it. Can’t be any worse than the current lot of diddy’s.

Gilmour could be playing in the first team scoring goals galore for Chelsea, but he won't get picked, he's too young.

WtfHe'll get picked as soon as he's good enough which is as it should be. We've got relative strength in the centre of the park just now.  Hopefully he gets a handfull of games this season and kicks on next. 

45 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

And the sad thing is, it's actually true; he won't get in the next squad. 

36 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yeah, I think it’s a legitimate view as well. I’m pretty sure were he Welsh, he’d be called up pretty soon if not already.

This is not the same thing as "playing in the first team scoring goals galore for Chelsea". He has played two games for them, one of which was against a League 2 team in the League Cup. If he was actually a first team regular for Chelsea there is no question that he would be in the squad.

If he was a striker, a centre-back or a right-back then he'd be in the squad. Breaking into the squad in his position is not quite as easy.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is not the same thing as "playing in the first team scoring goals galore for Chelsea". He has played two games for them, one of which was against a League 2 team in the League Cup. If he was actually a first team regular for Chelsea there is no question that he would be in the squad.

If he was a striker, a centre-back or a right-back then he'd be in the squad. Breaking into the squad in his position is not quite as easy.

I'd have him ahead of McGregor, who has been a total ghost for Scotland. Not suggesting he should start, but I'd give him a call up; it's two absolutely nothing games. 

Edited by DAFC.

I'd have him ahead of McGregor, who has been a total ghost for Scotland. Not suggesting he should start, but I'd give him a call up; it's two absolutely nothing games. 

They’re not nothing games though, they’re Clarke’s opportunity to settle on an 11 and a system that will hopefully get us through the playoffs. Alongside the opportunity to try and get a 3rd place finish.

The kid is 17.  Let him continue to develop and get involved with the Chelsea first team, whilst getting International experience with the U21's.

This campaign is a busted flush anyway, and we're strong in midfield.  Let's not heap pressure on him to be some wonderkid who will turn our fortunes around.

And just on the note of there being no harm in getting him involved, there absolutely is.  So imagine he starts against San Marino, but we end up spending 45 minutes dry-humping f**k all and go in at 0-0.  The 12 people that will be in Hampden for that game will be, quite rightly, booing them at this stage.  Maybe at that point Gilmour's relative inexperience sees him make a few mistakes, and we end up struggling to a result that still sees us booed at full time.  Where is GIlmour's confidence when it comes to Scotland then?

It's a hypothetical scenario of course, but we do not have the sort of atmosphere around the club to be bringing players in who aren't quite ready yet.  And I trust the coaching team to know when that point is, but I really, really doubt it's now.

Saw some mentalist on twitter saying that the only reason he hasn't already been called up is the link to Rangers. Said something like 'If he came from any other academy and was starting for Chelsea he'd have multiple caps by now.'

Obviously I've missed the 18 year olds from the Celtic, Hibs, Aberdeen etc academies who have got starts for Chelsea that he based that opinion on. Wouldn't be against him getting a callup at all but like has been said he would have to be used carefully to avoid being made a scapegoat if/when things don't go well for Scotland.

This is fair.