Billy Gilmour

Kuro

It's grim that the first few results after searching him on Google are all along the lines of 'Lampard defends Gilmour debut'. Not even because he played badly, just the substitution in principle has seemingly caused an uproar.

Admittedly I only saw the Sky extended highlights, but he looked okay to me. For the actual goal he had blocked the passing lane to his man. If the wing back doesn't block the cross and the centre back's clearance goes in the top corner, I'm not sure he should be getting blamed, even by association with Lampard's decision to put him on. 

Gilmour obviously isn’t going to start 20+ games this season, 10-15 games off the bench with a couple of starts in the cups is more likely. I’d get him called up for the next squad, would do absolutely no harm. It worked with Darren Fletcher.

The problem he has is that central-midfield is already a very strong area of the squad. If you call him up then you're probably taking out McLean, McGinn, McGregor or Christie all of whom are in their own rights very good players and potential match-winners.

And given their strength, you're probably taking Gilmour out of the U21 squad where you'd hope he'll start two games and instead putting him on the bench for the main team where he has little chance of playing.

I'm not necessarily against it, but it's hardly some easy decision the way it would be if he was a centre-back or a striker.

Gilmour obviously isn’t going to start 20+ games this season, 10-15 games off the bench with a couple of starts in the cups is more likely. I’d get him called up for the next squad, would do absolutely no harm. It worked with Darren Fletcher.
I think his Chelsea appearances this season will only come from injuries to their midfield.
Once Loftut-Cheek comes back in a few weeks he'll be on before Gilmour too. Christensen has also played in midfield previously for club (and maybe country?) so he'll likely be seen as a utility man who can cover multiple positions, pushing Gilmour off the bench.
Around 5 sub appearances this season imo (assuming Lampard lasts the full season) and some cup starts as you said.
I think it's a year or so too soon for him to be in the full squad, especially given our midfield strength.

Played the ball forward a lot more than Ferguson
The u21s have a decent squad at present. Quite enjoyed some of their possession football last night. Just need to add a cutting edge

Considering they started the game without a recognised striker...

Yeah that was my first look at the boy and I was really impressed. Hard to get carried away against a poor San Marino side but the boy looked to have the most quality of everyone on the park. Constantly wanting the ball, not being frightened by a couple of hard tackles, playing some cracking forward passes (forward passes being something Ferguson struggled with) and he managed to wind up one CM in particular. Just the kind of player we need.

Watching him I couldn't help but think he'll be another Darren Fletcher that the morons will slate with the idiotic comment: "He plays class for his club but never brings that when he's in a Scotland jersey".

Certainly looks promising.

On 06/09/2019 at 20:56, Insaintee said:

by the way, what is Islam Feruz doing these days

Pretty sure no one's touched him since Chelsea punted him a couple years ago, think I saw something about him going on trial with an amateur team in Belgium but I'm not sure if, a) anything came of it, and b) if it was even him or someone else I'm thinking of.