The Glasgow Cup

CK

Genuinely not at the wind-up here re: Clyde, but do teams just get to choose what local cup they're in by being  paid-up members of the local FA?

I probably still think of Clyde as  a Glasgow team of sorts but they've been in Cumbernauld for 25 years now.

edit: I know about Shawfield / Rutherglen  city boundaries / Partick not being part of Glasgow in the 19th century etc etc 

Edited by Fuctifano

There is no prescribed arrangement for county FAs.

Clyde have just stayed Glasgow FA members since moving.

In practice North of Scotland, Aberdeenshire, East and Southern Counties primarily organise cups for the non-league pyramid. Fife and Glasgow organise a single cup. Forfarshire (which includes St Johnstone), Stirlingshire (including Alloa) and West do nothing.

EDIT: indeed East of Scotland FA embraces Gretna, East Kilbride, Dunipace, Camelon, Bo'ness, Stirling University, Sauchie, 2 Perth and 9 Fife clubs (of whom 4 enter Fife Cup too).

Edited by HibeeJibee

Rules on the Glasgow FA website for this season say there must be at least 6 recognised first team players fielded.

Clyde rested David Mitchell, Ray Grant and David Goodwillie. Three others were injured (and I imagine they would have played if fit) and Alex Petkov played for Hearts Reserves earlier today. The rest of the squad was used tonight, with Danny Lennon listing himself as a sub too.

Our youth teams are community teams who play in SYFA leagues as opposed to pro-youth/club academy, I assume they'll be on different registrations to SPFL so unsure if that'll have any impact on whether they are used or not. For Clyde anyway I think it'll be a fairly strong side being sent out.
Lennon mentioned on Sportsound that we can't play the under 21s due to how they are registered.

We would have to register them as amateurs to play in the Glasgow Cup then change it back to allow them to play in the under 21 league. I'm guessing that means we won't be seeing many of them on the bench for the first team this season.

3 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Lennon mentioned on Sportsound that we can't play the under 21s due to how they are registered.

We would have to register them as amateurs to play in the Glasgow Cup then change it back to allow them to play in the under 21 league. I'm guessing that means we won't be seeing many of them on the bench for the first team this season.

How would it work if Clyde were in the Lowlands U20s League (like Cumbernauld Colts), assume there would be no problem?

On 22/08/2019 at 13:56, Jack Burton said:

We have called up five of the U21 team to be in the squad for Tuesday night away to Thistle.

We have a threadbare squad as it is before you throw in the injuries, I hope we have as few first team players as possible on the pitch. f**k it, I’ll even get my boots on. 

We have called up five of the U21 team to be in the squad for Tuesday night away to Thistle.
We have a threadbare squad as it is before you throw in the injuries, I hope we have as few first team players as possible on the pitch. f**k it, I’ll even get my boots on. 

Still expecting you to beat us tbh. We’ll be fielding diddies like Tommy Robson, Rafa De Vita and Lewis Mansell.

Glad I gave this a miss Clyde team Wallace, Smith and Allison, and  8 community team players.

Clyde line up

McGee,  Elder,  McCabe,  Lindsay,  Allison,  McNulty,  McQueen,  Wallace,  Malcolm,  Smith,  McNiven        2 subs.  McLaren,  Connor