The Glasgow Cup

CK

Looks like this will be back at first-team level (well, sort of) for the first time since the 1988-89 season, much to the delight of HibeeJibee I'm sure.

Celtic and Rangers will field colt teams (under-21s with 2 overage players). Clyde, Partick Thistle and Queen's Park to play a minimum of 6 recognised first team players. Two trialists permitted too.

Round robin home and away format with top two teams in the table contesting the final in April. Admission prices set at £5/£3.

Tue 20th August

Clyde 3-1 Celtic Colts (Love, Howie, Welsh OG; Henderson)

Tue 27th August

Rangers Colts 0-2 Partick Thistle (Mansell, Jones)

Tue 1st October

Partick Thistle 2-1 Queens Park (Mansell, de Vita; Thomson)

Tue 3rd December

Partick Thistle 9-1 Clyde (Jones, de Vita x2, Galasso x2, Austin, O'Ware, Niang, Cameron; Malcolm)

Wed 11th December

Queens Park 0-2 Celtic Colts (Burt, Wylie)

Tue 17th December

Celtic Colts 1-1 Partick Thistle (Burt; Niang)

Clyde 1-1 Queens Park (McNeil; Moore)

Tue 21st January

Celtic Colts 4-1 Clyde (McGrath x2, Dembele, Connell; Johnston)

Partick Thistle 1-2 Rangers Colts (Mansell; McPake x2)

Tue 28th January

Rangers Colts 3-2 Clyde (Mebude, Maxwell, Balde; Smith, McStay)

Tue 4th February

Rangers Colts 1-1 Celtic Colts (Dickson; Connell)

Wed 5th February

Queens Park 1-1 Partick Thistle (Foy; Barjonas)

Tue 18th February

Clyde 3-1 Partick Thistle (McNiff, Love, Smith; Cameron)

Tue 3rd March

Celtic Colts 3-0 Queens Park (Welsh, McGrath, Burt)

Tue 17th March

Rangers Colts v Queen's Park

Tue 7th April

Clyde v Rangers Colts

TBA

Celtic Colts v Rangers Colts

Partick Thistle v Celtic Colts

Queens Park v Clyde

Queens Park v Rangers Colts

Final (Tue 7th/Wed 8th April)

Edited by CK

I don't mind being in it but I'd rather Celtic and Rangers weren't called "Colts". Everyone knows they aren't gonna be playing full strength teams in glorified friendlies, just call them Celtic and Rangers. I reckon the Colts addition will adversely affect attendances. 

You're right. All competitions must be accurately named. 
Clyde should be kicked out, and kick Queen's Park out of the Scottish Professional Football League while we're at it. [emoji846]

Using your logic, it's the League that's wrongly named as it has an amateur team in its ranks.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Is this genuinely going to be first-teams this season (OF excepted: albeit U21 + 2 overagers is still pretty experienced) or in reality will it just be youths like before (U18s)? Asking for a friend.

We had a pretty strong team out tonight apart from a debutante teenage goalkeeper. We only had three outfield subs (Danny Lennon being one of them and two other first team players) and they all came on.

We have introduced a new u21 side but they only played their first league game a few days ago. I don’t know if we will use them in the other games., I don’t think we are obliged to play a strong team either.

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

Is this genuinely going to be first-teams this season (OF excepted: albeit U21 + 2 overagers is still pretty experienced) or in reality will it just be youths like before (U18s)? Asking for a friend.
Rules on the Glasgow FA website for this season say there must be at least 6 recognised first team players fielded.

Clyde rested David Mitchell, Ray Grant and David Goodwillie. Three others were injured (and I imagine they would have played if fit) and Alex Petkov played for Hearts Reserves earlier today. The rest of the squad was used tonight, with Danny Lennon listing himself as a sub too.

Our youth teams are community teams who play in SYFA leagues as opposed to pro-youth/club academy, I assume they'll be on different registrations to SPFL so unsure if that'll have any impact on whether they are used or not. For Clyde anyway I think it'll be a fairly strong side being sent out.

Sounds a good idea this, although agree there seems little need to use the term colts. Hope it's a success. 

Would love the Forfarshire Cup to adopt a similar format. Could provide 12 competive reserve games for teams in the area. Saints played Arbroath in a bounce game last week, instead they could have played on Saturday and made a few quid.

11 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

We had a pretty strong team out tonight apart from a debutante teenage goalkeeper. We only had three outfield subs (Danny Lennon being one of them and two other first team players) and they all came on.

We have introduced a new u21 side but they only played their first league game a few days ago. I don’t know if we will use them in the other games., I don’t think we are obliged to play a strong team either.

I hope Danny Lennon is correctly registered as a player, otherwise Celtic will be lodging an objection...

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I hope Danny Lennon is correctly registered as a player, otherwise Celtic will be lodging an objection...

1 minute ago, Only one David Marsh said:

Teams are allowed 2 trialists Danny was one the other was Chris Fahay our GK coach 

I heard on Radio Ulster this morning that he had come on as a sub, and my first thoughts were "I hope all the paperwork was in order". :lol:

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

I heard on Radio Ulster this morning that he had come on as a sub, and my first thoughts were "I hope all the paperwork was in order". :lol:

Is it a slow news day at Radio Ulster mentioning a Glasgow Cup game:lol: Take it it was just down to the Old Firm angle.

2 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Is it a slow news day at Radio Ulster mentioning a Glasgow Cup game:lol: Take it it was just down to the Old Firm angle.

I would assume so. yes. :) I don't remember them actually mentioning the score, but they must have done.

They were emphasisng Danny's age in comparison with one of the Celtic players (can't remember his name), who was only 17, they were playing up that aspect.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Update

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I would assume so. yes. :) I don't remember them actually mentioning the score, but they must have done.

They were emphasisng Danny's age in comparison with one of the Celtic players (can't remember his name), who was only 17, they were playing up that aspect.

Give them the benefit of doubt could have just been the old codger playing guys about a 1/3 of his age angle.

1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

Give them the benefit of doubt could have just been the old codger playing guys about a 1/3 of his age angle.

That and the fact they were playing Celtic Colts, but it was more the age thing, tbf, would probably have been mentioned no matter who Clyde were playing.