Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

I'm still not convinced this is all done, TBH. There's not been much press about anything since the appeal was slung out - all I saw was some piece in the PandJ cobbled together from rumours posted on here, FitbaNorth and Twitter - and the NCL ain't said anything. 

Fort are going to do a George Costanza and show up for a Highland League game on day one of the season pretending none of this happened. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

I'm still not convinced this is all done, TBH. There's not been much press about anything since the appeal was slung out - all I saw was some piece in the PandJ cobbled together from rumours posted on here, FitbaNorth and Twitter - and the NCL ain't said anything. 

Fort are going to do a George Costanza and show up for a Highland League game on day one of the season pretending none of this happened. 

With Rowan Alexander attempting to manage the team.

I saw some interview with their new gaffer and he was saying there's a few players coming up from London with him. Still fries ma brain that Fort William seem to have a load of guys coming up from England to sign for them. I presume they're getting hospitality jobs through the chairman or the like?

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I saw some interview with their new gaffer and he was saying there's a few players coming up from London with him. Still fries ma brain that Fort William seem to have a load of guys coming up from England to sign for them. I presume they're getting hospitality jobs through the chairman or the like?

The chairman says he pays them pennies, puts them up and has them doing part time jobs for their keep. 

16 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They'd have to win the NCL which is certainly possible. If they're willing to put some money into it.

Best hope would be that the North & Midlands champions are unlicenced.

Even then they're stuck having win a two legged playoff against bottom in the HL. Which is something they would struggle to do when in the same league.

I thought both Carnoustie Panmure & Lochee were going for the full licence this year? 

May be wrong...

Just now, Jimmain said:

I thought both Carnoustie Panmure & Lochee were going for the full licence this year? 

May be wrong...

Lochee United and Tayport have SFA licences now, and Panmure are working towards it for next season I believe. There's still the chance Panmure win the league again, or an East Craigie/Broughty/North End/Downfield (I wish) win the title and give Fort William that extra little chance, but I reckon it'll be Lochee United anyway.

4 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Lochee United and Tayport have SFA licences now, and Panmure are working towards it for next season I believe. There's still the chance Panmure win the league again, or an East Craigie/Broughty/North End/Downfield (I wish) win the title and give Fort William that extra little chance, but I reckon it'll be Lochee United anyway.

Carnoustie aim to get their license in 2024, too much work needs to be done to be realistically able to get get it in 2023.

8 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Slow down there cowboy.

Let them sort out a goalkeeper first. 

They'll probably spend a bit of time reading the rule book, too...

On 30/06/2022 at 06:50, Jimmy Shaker said:

At any rate, are they actually in the NCL now? You can never tell with this lot. 

Fort attended the NCL AGM on 7th June 2022. and were accepted into the league, subject to their HFL appeal being unsuccessful (or it didn't take place).

The NCL has become stronger in recent seasons, and I doubt Fort would be champions in 2022/23.

• 1 month later...
On 02/06/2022 at 10:41, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

South Lochaber Thistle have folded, so that could be potential source of local players for Fort William in the NCL.

Manager certainly, likely players to follow. Trew's business model of hiring English players out to a sawmill to pay for their living expenses might be coming to an end.

Edited by welshbairn

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the documentary this morning on iplayer. The highland league chairman seemed to brimming with delight anytime he mentions Fort's downfall. Ultimately though there is a pyramid so dropping down might be better for them to be more competitive.  The way the players talked they were putting in full time hours in addition to jobs they had. Even a part time league 1 team probably doesn't put the hours in training they were claiming. It just didn't really add up.