Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

I bet Iftikhar was furious at his chairman for losing the plot over the playoffs, a shitty way to end the season. By all accounts he got on fine with the HL and other clubs, unlike his boss.

Still think they would have been pumped though.

Iftikhar added: “It was disappointing not to play the play-off – I’d put in 22 or 23 hours studying Banks o’ Dee.

“I knew about them: their right side being more potent than their left, (and) they attack the box in a unique way.

“We’d done a lot of work and we knew we had to defend our box really well. We knew they were a team that would come on to us, but we felt we could find space on the counter.

“We knew they were very good at set-plays, which was something we’d struggled with and we’d worked on that as well.

“We had a plan to try to combat Banks o’ Dee, so not to play was very disappointing for us.”

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/4324581/fort-william-fc-shadab-iftikhar-grateful-for-highland-league-experience/

Edited by welshbairn

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I bet Iftikhar was furious at his chairman for losing the plot over the playoffs, a shitty way to end the season. By all accounts he got on fine with the HL and other clubs, unlike his boss.

Still think they would have been pumped though.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/4324581/fort-william-fc-shadab-iftikhar-grateful-for-highland-league-experience/

“We had a plan to try to combat Banks o’ Dee ...".

Any plan based on fewer than 11 players was always doomed.

3 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

“We had a plan to try to combat Banks o’ Dee ...".

Any plan based on fewer than 11 players was always doomed.

My understanding is that if the chairman hadn't thrown his toys out of the pram some kind of special dispensation could have been worked out.

They'd likely have lost by double figures over two games. Thankfully the whole charade seems to be over.

Feel sorry for Shadab Iftikhar who did do a good job there, came across as a thoroughly decent guy, and at least made Fort William look like a football team, rather than eleven pissed stagdo guests who mysteriously woke up playing a senior football fixture on a Saturday afternoon. He had an impossible job.

The bigger question is how long their utter roaster of a chairman will hang around and what will be left afterward when he inevitably has another massive tantrum and walks away.

4 hours ago, RH33 said:

I think Mr Trew, you're going to have to accept your spin isn't going to be swollowed on here in the way it is by your social media fans.

AH HAAAAAAAHAHAHA. 

Someone call the fire brigade, because I smell burn!

On 24/05/2022 at 22:52, TrueJonny said:

I watched most of the Fort games with Shadab as manager and things were getting better with every game. Just needed more time. Nice guy too.

I didn't see any matches but going on the the more recent results they would have had a chance if Dee were off it and they were on it, draw with Formartine & a 1-0 loss to Rothes was decent esp compared to seasons past where a double figures scudding in each leg of the play off would have been odds on!

On 24/05/2022 at 22:52, TrueJonny said:

I watched most of the Fort games with Shadab as manager and things were getting better with every game. Just needed more time. Nice guy too.

Your club is a joke and should've been chucked out the league years ago.

24 minutes ago, CO2000 said:

I didn't see any matches but going on the the more recent results they would have had a chance if Dee were off it and they were on it, draw with Formartine & a 1-0 loss to Rothes was decent esp compared to seasons past where a double figures scudding in each leg of the play off would have been odds on!

Formartine apart, their results came against teams who’d hung it up for the summer. Strathspey were already safe, Turriff likewise. I saw them three times last season - three more than the Facebook loyal - and they were consistently minging. If anything, their last trip to Lossie was their worst of the three. The NoSC tie was probably their best, and that was the first, when they’d the Avraams boy up front, he was a menace. 

Dee haven’t been off it for about six years. :lol:

On 27/05/2022 at 13:45, Jimmy Shaker said:

Formartine apart, their results came against teams who’d hung it up for the summer. Strathspey were already safe, Turriff likewise. I saw them three times last season - three more than the Facebook loyal - and they were consistently minging. If anything, their last trip to Lossie was their worst of the three. The NoSC tie was probably their best, and that was the first, when they’d the Avraams boy up front, he was a menace. 

Dee haven’t been off it for about six years. :lol:

Fair enough, just prob not the double figures in each leg some were predicting (that is if they were at full strength which by the week of the play offs they weren't so maybe the scudding would have been administered afterall :D)

Dee did get beat by East End in a 1/4 final and needed pens to get by Montrose Roselea in a semi but had a not bad season overall :D

Be interesting to see how they do in the HL, top 5 I'd think

11 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

South Lochaber Thistle have folded, so that could be potential source of local players for Fort William in the NCL.

Shame, must be hard to keep hold of the people and funding you need to make it work at that level.