Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Fort chairman gradually moving from denial to acceptance, looks like. Thinks he's done a splendid job since taking over!

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/4242200/fort-william-chairman-john-trew-upbeat-as-they-dispute-highland-league-relegation/

The Highland League’s office bearers issued a statement on Sunday following Fort William’s statement.

It read: “There is one central incontrovertible fact at the heart of an issue in which many ill-informed opinions have been aired.

“Fort William FC withdrew from the Highland pyramid play-off and informed the league in an email on Friday, April 22, 2022.”

Telt :lol:

It'll be interesting to see what kind of squad they put together for the NCL, you'd imagine most of the Lancashire lads will have had enough, god knows what jobs they were given when they weren't training and how much they were paid. The manager might see it as just another challenge after his spell in Mongolia.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

The Highland League’s office bearers issued a statement on Sunday following Fort William’s statement.

It read: “There is one central incontrovertible fact at the heart of an issue in which many ill-informed opinions have been aired.

“Fort William FC withdrew from the Highland pyramid play-off and informed the league in an email on Friday, April 22, 2022.”

Telt :lol:

Had to call the leauge secretary and ask him how the f**k you pronounced that!

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It'll be interesting to see what kind of squad they put together for the NCL, you'd imagine most of the Lancashire lads will have had enough, god knows what jobs they were given when they weren't training and how much they were paid. The manager might see it as just another challenge after his spell in Mongolia.

The manager seems to have kept his dignity and done a reasonably decent job considering the clowns that run the club. He should be ok finding another club in the lower tiers of Scotland or England if he fancies it.

29 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The manager seems to have kept his dignity and done a reasonably decent job considering the clowns that run the club. He should be ok finding another club in the lower tiers of Scotland or England if he fancies it.

By all accounts everyone found him fine and agreeable to deal with, even when he broke his nose trying to open a jammed toilet door at a ground I can't remember. :lol: He fair brought down the goal difference average after he took over.

Edited by welshbairn

What’s the back story to the manager and all the players coming to Fort?

I’m guessing it wasn’t money that got them to play up here? We’re they offered work locally outside of football or something ?

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

The team fashioned together in the summer found work driving fans, so the legend goes. 

The current lot played a lot like they’d been kidnapped, TBH. 

Vans presumably? Mind you a chauffeur to away games could be handy, post covid that is, you'd want them to have a shower after the game.

On 02/05/2022 at 09:25, LongTimeLurker said:

This would be on the goalkeeper angle no doubt. Difficult to see what grounds they have for appeal if they chose to withdraw. Sounds like they were trying to find a procedural way for the playoff not to happen in a similar manner to the antics that surrounded the Club 42 playoff when Brechin City were involved. Not having their ground ready for the second leg would fit on that.

Sorry to digress but at no time did Brechin City refuse or attempt to refuse to take part in any play off so any similarity ends there. 

Sorry to digress but at no time did Brechin City refuse or attempt to refuse to take part in any play off so any similarity ends there. 

Apart from when they specifically appealed to the SFA for the play-off not to go ahead, you mean?

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Apart from when they specifically appealed to the SFA for the play-off not to go ahead, you mean?

I think  the league made the decision not to have any play offs due to the covid restrictions and the impracticality of games being played at the time.  As far as I am aware Brechin were to be involved in a play off and came into that category.  

They maybe asked the league for clarity but I cannot recall any specific appeal .   That was maybe another of Tom English's fabrications at the time 

22 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I think  the league made the decision not to have any play offs due to the covid restrictions and the impracticality of games being played at the time.  As far as I am aware Brechin were to be involved in a play off and came into that category.  

They maybe asked the league for clarity but I cannot recall any specific appeal .   That was maybe another of Tom English's fabrications at the time 

The did appeal to stop the play offs last year, but by expanding League 2 so no demotion and both Kelty and Brora getting promoted, followed by the 2 cheeks colts the following year.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brechin-city-plead-spfl-scrap-23947986

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The did appeal to stop the play offs last year, but by expanding League 2 so no demotion and both Kelty and Brora getting promoted, followed by the 2 cheeks colts the following year.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brechin-city-plead-spfl-scrap-23947986

Ah ok . Apologies to all concerned for my hasty responses. 

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Apparently there's still an ongoing situation with the HL...

They seem to be bouncing around phases 1-3 of grief. (denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance)