Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

Took in the Brechin vs Fort game today, and Fort did look a much better side from the clips I've seen - especially going forward, but 4-0 really did not flatter Brechin. In fact, they could have been 3-0 up at HT.

Defensively from high balls they looked a complete bomb scare and the best player the #9 getting sent-off was pure stupidity at 1-0.

Away at Brechin isn't the game they'll be expecting to win, but another Centre-Back is needing to be brought in if they have any chance of digging themselves out the hole.

13 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Took in the Brechin vs Fort game today, and Fort did look a much better side from the clips I've seen - especially going forward, but 4-0 really did not flatter Brechin. In fact, they could have been 3-0 up at HT.

Defensively from high balls they looked a complete bomb scare and the best player the #9 getting sent-off was pure stupidity at 1-0.

Away at Brechin isn't the game they'll be expecting to win, but another Centre-Back is needing to be brought in if they have any chance of digging themselves out the hole.

Yes , that is Brechin's  biggest failing , not finishing teams off. 

We all agreed that fort will now give some of the teams at the bottom end a bit of a scare but they have to be able to handle their aggression . In simple terms they were a bunch of angry men trying to prove a point. Some of the tackles were just cynical especially one in the second half from their no 3 who had already been booked.  We heard the ref minutes  before that tackle , while booking another , saying that he was running out of paper. .............Sorry ref but that's no excuse to ignore possibly the worse tackle of the match. 

5 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Yes , that is Brechin's  biggest failing , not finishing teams off. 

We all agreed that fort will now give some of the teams at the bottom end a bit of a scare but they have to be able to handle their aggression . In simple terms they were a bunch of angry men trying to prove a point. Some of the tackles were just cynical especially one in the second half from their no 3 who had already been booked.  We heard the ref minutes  before that tackle , while booking another , saying that he was running out of paper. .............Sorry ref but that's no excuse to ignore possibly the worse tackle of the match. 

I personally thought that was a straight red. 

17 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

I personally thought that was a straight red. 

So did I and yet nothing, Scissor tackle through the back of someone whilst getting nowhere near the ball. There big number 9 who eventually got sent off should have had a straight red too for launching a head butt at one of our players. Victim got booked for standing his ground. Hey oh.

Agree that if FW can calm the aggression they look like they have enough to get pints off of teams outside top 6 or so.  Nice enough guys off the pitch even if Glebe Park managed to break their managers nose before the game....ouch....

2 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

So did I and yet nothing, Scissor tackle through the back of someone whilst getting nowhere near the ball. There big number 9 who eventually got sent off should have had a straight red too for launching a head butt at one of our players. Victim got booked for standing his ground. Hey oh.

Agree that if FW can calm the aggression they look like they have enough to get pints off of teams outside top 6 or so.  Nice enough guys off the pitch even if Glebe Park managed to break their managers nose before the game....ouch....

"pub league", eh?

1 minute ago, greendot said:

Thats what I was told anyway. Might not have been the toilet but one of the doors under the main stand sticks and that's where he was.

I believe it. Horrible and embarrassing thing to happen just before managing your first Highland League game, no wonder he had his players out on the warpath.. ;)

They've tried this Angry Young Men thing before. Unfortunately, they seem to forget that playing a bit as well tends to be needed, rather than just spending ninety minutes swearing and kicking folk. 

They looked as if they could play a bit as well, or at least a number of them could.

From what I saw on Saturday, if they can keep up that level of performance then I should think Turriff and Strathspey will be looking over their shoulders. I still think they’ll have too much to do but I think they will get take some points off the poorer sides in the league without a doubt.

How long will some of these players stick around though?

6 hours ago, gm_1982 said:

They looked as if they could play a bit as well, or at least a number of them could.

From what I saw on Saturday, if they can keep up that level of performance then I should think Turriff and Strathspey will be looking over their shoulders. I still think they’ll have too much to do but I think they will get take some points off the poorer sides in the league without a doubt.

They are seemingly on 4 month contracts . Basically full time , training every day . Don't know what will happen with them at the end of the season though.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Seriously?!?

Correct, although he did say it was all his own fault. The door was a bit sticky he knelt down to pull it from the bottom and BOOM smacked him square in the beaker. Broken nose. A nice welcome to league for him.

He was fine.

9 hours ago, gm_1982 said:

Yes they are on short contracts, gotten some local seasonal work (some are students who are inbetween years or finding jobs). A fair chunk of the squad have spare days through the week and are effectively training full time on some days through the week. I also know they have another 4 guys to come in. I wonder if any of there pre rebuild squad are still about or have they all been binned?

Anyways if you played them prior to the rebuild your goal difference will have benefitted, unfortunately ours will not.

Another defeat today 4-1 against Buckie which isn't that bad, after facing Inverurie next weekend, they have a run of winnable more equitable games:

Fort's next 6:

• Jan 29th: Inverurie Loco Works
  • Feb 5th: Huntly
  • Feb 12th: Wick Academy
  • Feb 19th: Strathspey Thistle
  • Feb 26th: Clachnacuddin
  • Mar 5th: Lossiemouth

I think they need to pick up wins against Strathspey and Lossie to have a chance of staying up and probably need at least a draw from one of the other four.

If they can do that, then the game against Turriff on the 19th March becomes a very interesting tie indeed.

They'll get a chasing at Inverurie. 18 trips at Harlaw Park, 17 home wins, Fort's win coming in 2002. The record at Claggan Park is almost the same (P19, L18, with the win coming in 2010 at the end of the season when Locos were already on the beach). Locos are the one team who never get distracted or pay any heed to Fort's bullshit, they just show up and skelp them every year. 

Huntly and Wick could be a challenge for them, but the other three may see them get points. They'll do a number on Clach tho, they always do. If they go into the Strathspey game having not picked up anything, though, I foresee messiness. Having seen Turriff today, I can imagine they'll now be very concerned at getting caught up in this mess. 

• 1 month later...