Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

4 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

FORT WILLIAM FC STATEMENT

The condition of Claggan Park has long been a talking point in the Highland League, work was undertaken to put better drainage in, but the Strathspey call off identified that more work had to be done. In the meantime damage had been done to the pitch through trials bikes, petty vandalism etc. Claggan is an open park and any remedial work has been hampered in the extreme through vandalism to our tractor, wrecking the sprinkler system etc. The remedial work was unfortunately not going to be finished in time and we found ourselves in the unenviable position of not being able to fulfil our first set of home games.

Hence why FW raised the issue with the Highland League as early as possible to allow alternative arrangements to be discussed, rather than pretending that there wasn't an issue until they got caught. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

The claim in that interview that they could have sat the season out and avoided being punted into the NCL where they belong, is almost as laughable as the follow-up that Fort William's 'style' is to take challenges head-on (absolute nick of a team and ground, since time immemorial). 

Still, I'm sure they'll get that PR bullshit machine back up to speed to get more money from gullible outsiders via crowdfunding. 

I looked at their Facebook comments after the announcement. It was full of "fans" admitting they've never been to a game before, that live thousands of miles away, or the random groundhopper types. They'll do quite well out of crowdfunding again.

Hopefully they don't balls it up again. They got a decent amount of money from their last crowdfunding to fix the drainage problem, only for them to try it themselves instead of getting the professionals in. Which is partly why they're in this mess.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I looked at their Facebook comments after the announcement. It was full of "fans" admitting they've never been to a game before, that live thousands of miles away, or the random groundhopper types. They'll do quite well out of crowdfunding again.

Hopefully they don't balls it up again. They got a decent amount of money from their last crowdfunding to fix the drainage problem, only for them to try it themselves instead of getting the professionals in. Which is partly why they're in this mess.

Yep, a friend who has just retired from playing in the HL said the same thing.  They bought all the gear, tried to install it themselves and have made an utter cunt of it.

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Aye that's an interesting one. 

Where are Fort William going to generate matchday income ? 

This could be the beginning of the end for them. 

Think they split the money, and Fort officials are supposed help out with manning the gates etc.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The condition of Claggan Park has long been a talking point in the Highland League, work was undertaken to put better drainage in, but the Strathspey call off identified that more work had to be done. In the meantime damage had been done to the pitch through trials bikes, petty vandalism etc. Claggan is an open park and any remedial work has been hampered in the extreme through vandalism to our tractor, wrecking the sprinkler system etc. The remedial work was unfortunately not going to be finished in time and we found ourselves in the unenviable position of not being able to fulfil our first set of home games.

The HL office bearers and other clubs have been as accommodating as possible, we were offered the option of taking a year out or playing our fixtures away. We obviously asked for more time but the way the fixtures are set out and with the league now under way, the best option available was to play our fixtures away. May I pass on our thanks to the member clubs for their patience, guidance and generosity, each member club have offered to pass on the travel costs that they would normally accrue.

Some interesting points there:

* if the work wasn't going to be finished in time... how did it end-up needing the intervention of a member of the public and an emergency meeting 6 days before the game?

* would it really have been OK to enter abeyance then come back into HL next year? They seem most people's tips to finish bottom and lose the playoff.

* very generous of their opponents to effectively cross-subsidise travel. (Of course some may make a bit from hosting their games depending how draw tickets/pies/etc. are accounted).

7 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Some interesting points there:

* if the work wasn't going to be finished in time... how did it end-up needing the intervention of a member of the public and an emergency meeting 6 days before the game?

* would it really have been OK to enter abeyance then come back into HL next year? They seem most people's tips to finish bottom and lose the playoff.

* very generous of their opponents to effectively cross-subsidise travel. (Of course some may make a bit from hosting their games depending how draw tickets/pies/etc. are accounted).

That will only apply to their away "home" games, surely?

31 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

If other clubs are subsidising travel to nominal 'home' games, why are they asking for help with raising money for extra travelling expenses?

If other clubs are keeping entry money and game day revenues and are only providing the money they would have spent for a bus to FW in exchange for hosting the game that isn't necessarily as generous as it appears at first glance.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If other clubs are keeping entry money and game day revenues and are only providing the money they would have spent for a bus to FW in exchange for hosting the game that isn't necessarily as generous as it appears at first glance.

They split the gate too I believe, probably getting Fort more money than they'd get at Claggan.

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Don't see that mentioned in any of the statements and newspaper articles. Are you sure that isn't just people online assuming that will be what happens?

It's happened before and I'm pretty sure they split the gate.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

If other clubs are subsidising travel to nominal 'home' games, why are they asking for help with raising money for extra travelling expenses?

Because once you start a grift why would you ever stop?

I have criticised FW more than most but if they want to take 50 quid off some trainspotter of a fan from Kent who has never seen a pitch beside a hill before I'm fully behind them. 

The two gofundme's are only looking for £7,000, and £5,000 of that is to fix the pitch not run the club. If they weren't getting a cut of the gate how exactly do you think they're paying people?

They would of set up another gofundme if they weren't getting anything.

I wonder what they will do if the get a Scottish Cup game at home this season?

36 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The two gofundme's are only looking for £7,000, and £5,000 of that is to fix the pitch not run the club. If they weren't getting a cut of the gate how exactly do you think they're paying people?

They would of set up another gofundme if they weren't getting anything.

I wonder what they will do if the get a Scottish Cup game at home this season?

Have they missed a zero off those numbers? We were 70-80k to fix the drainage at the glebe IIRC (and had to do it twice as first attempt didn't fully resolve the issues).

5k certainly doesn't sound like it would go far, especially if ground works are involved

2 minutes ago, a_n_d_o said:

Have they missed a zero off those numbers? We were 70-80k to fix the drainage at the glebe IIRC (and had to do it twice as first attempt didn't fully resolve the issues).

5k certainly doesn't sound like it would go far, especially if ground works are involved

Sounds like they're hoping to get grant money for the bulk of it.

29 minutes ago, a_n_d_o said:

In the gofundme the lowest quote they've gotten for fixing it is £50k. They're only asking for £5k in the hopes that grants and other funding will cover the rest.

6 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Always knew that Fort William is regarded as quite rough/run down but I didn’t think things were as bad as they have been described here. I’ve been there a few times and didn’t think it was that bad, but as others have pointed out the tourists only see the high street.

Given the surroundings, the tourist attractions and outdoor activities available - there is no reason, in my mind, that Fort William can’t be the ‘Aviemore of the West.’ 

Been thinking about this. I'm sure a social researcher could get their PhD studying the differences between Fort William and Aviemore. The only things I can think of are that Aviemore was a relatively prosperous little town before the age of tourism whereas Fort William was pretty poor; Fort William is/was industrial with the smelter and the paper mill, Aviemore wasn't; Aviemore is on the A9 and rail corridor to Inverness; Aviemore had a lot of investment in the 60s that still helps today, such as having the Macdonald and a Hilton; and I suspect more of Fort William's hospitality workers are locals, meaning there's less cash in the area long term.

I don't know how much of that holds water, it's all hunches.

Aviemore doesn't have a senior or junior team, of course, nor does it have a shinty or rugby club. 

Yep, Aviemore only hosting amateur football has always puzzled me.  It's clearly big enough to be able to accommodate a team playing in the pyramid and there's wealthy businessmen live there ( I know of 2 without even thinking about it).

It's a bit of an anomaly really.  Although there are a lot of incomers that make up the permanent population, from the Central Belt and England, who are probably very unlikely to be interested in an Aviemore team playing at a higher level. A bit like Fort with the entire population who like football supporting one of the Old Firm.