Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

1 minute ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Lossie weren’t even close to being as shite as Fort were last season. We were as far removed from them as Cove were from us.

I saw Clach play both sides, Lossie was levels above Fort William last season and were better than a fairly pish Clach team as well.

19 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Lossie weren’t even close to being as shite as Fort were last season. We were as far removed from them as Cove were from us.

18 minutes ago, Comrie said:

I saw Clach play both sides, Lossie was levels above Fort William last season and were better than a fairly pish Clach team as well.

Points don't lie.

Cove  93

Clach 24

Lossie 8 (-110 GD)

Fort -7  (after 9 deducted)

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Points don't lie.

Cove  93

Clach 24

Lossie 8

Fort -7 after 9 deducted

Yeah, I'd forgotten Clach pumped Lossie away 5-1. The home game I have weird memories of Clach scoring but Lossie dominating the game.

Maybe I was blootered from the Nip Inn.

22 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Yeah, I'd forgotten Clach pumped Lossie away 5-1. The home game I have weird memories of Clach scoring but Lossie dominating the game.

Maybe I was blootered from the Nip Inn.

The game I remember at Grant Street was Clach nicking it at the last moment after a fairly even game.The Lossie fanbase were arseholed (mentioning no names) and spent the whole game screaming at our manager and coaching staff. Sweet ending.

The game I remember at Grant Street was Clach nicking it at the last moment after a fairly even game.The Lossie fanbase were arseholed (mentioning no names) and spent the whole game screaming at our manager and coaching staff. Sweet ending.

How else is one expected to spend a day in such a shitehouse.

Only a matter of time before Clach go bust yet again.

ICT aren’t ‘not interested’ in the reserve league so much but we don’t really have the players to field a reserve team. We have a thin first-team squad and an U18 squad. Our reserve side would likely consist of Cammy Mackay, Kevin McHattie and a bunch of 16/17 year olds and we’d likely get smashed every week (if we could even field a team). It makes sense for us to get these guys (about 90% of our youth team basically) to get competitive football every week which will help to bridge the gap between U18s and the first team.

That’s absolute shite, you’ve just loaned out 9 players. That plus the half dozen or so (minimum, often more) who won’t didn’t get significant game time in the first team any given week and you can easily play reserve matches. Younger age groups and trialists (sometimes coaches) filling in is an option as well. That is reserve team football.

The days of reserve teams being 7/8 senior players that aren’t getting games(how clubs ever afforded to fund that I’ve no idea) + a handful of the best youths is long dead.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Good luck against Nairn tonight. They're being a bit cocky, changing 7 players from their Vale win on Saturday, according to the Courier. Hope you pump them rotten, their man on twitter last year was a right pompous c**t.

He won't be as snidey tonight!

That’s absolute shite, you’ve just loaned out 9 players. That plus the half dozen or so (minimum, often more) who won’t didn’t get significant game time in the first team any given week and you can easily play reserve matches. Younger age groups and trialists (sometimes coaches) filling in is an option as well. That is reserve team football.

The days of reserve teams being 7/8 senior players that aren’t getting games(how clubs ever afforded to fund that I’ve no idea) + a handful of the best youths is long dead.

Our first team bench last season was usually mainly made up of youths due to our thin squad plus injuries. We had about 14 U18s and a lot of them featured. We simply do not have a big enough squad to field a competitive reserve side as I have said. We’re better off loaning them for competitive football where they hopefully won’t get slapped every week.

For example, ICT could only dream of having ‘half a dozen’ first teamers who never got game time at the weekend. We were lucky to have any players in that situation last season.

And they are actually not as "shite" as they claim to be, not even close to the worst team in Britain. It's just that they are in a league which is above their level. I've watched both Fort William and Coupar Angus last season. If they'd play each other, FW would trounce Coupar Angus. CA are actually a better example of a club staying alive against all odds in for them very challenging times, all down to very hard working committee members for who I can have nothing but respect. Yet they don't get the attention.
I think theres an an element of romanticism in regards to the Fort as its a team playing at the foot of Ben Nevis is a remote & scenic part of the world whereas somewhere like Stevenston (Ardeer Thistle) or Newmains (Newmains United) are way less romantic.

7 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:
11 hours ago, Marten said:
And they are actually not as "shite" as they claim to be, not even close to the worst team in Britain. It's just that they are in a league which is above their level. I've watched both Fort William and Coupar Angus last season. If they'd play each other, FW would trounce Coupar Angus. CA are actually a better example of a club staying alive against all odds in for them very challenging times, all down to very hard working committee members for who I can have nothing but respect. Yet they don't get the attention.

I think theres an an element of romanticism in regards to the Fort as its a team playing at the foot of Ben Nevis is a remote & scenic part of the world whereas somewhere like Stevenston (Ardeer Thistle) or Newmains (Newmains United) are way less romantic.

I think location is very much part of it. Last season, maybe the year before, an Arran amateur side got some press for joining a mainland league.

The location and relative isolation of Fort William mixed with a higher profile for the Highland League are factors that bring the novelty attention to the club.

Their location is their one real problem. Moaning about having no money, a poorly-stocked committee, a disinterested community, having to travel long distances for games, that's all common to clubs in every league, especially the one they're in.  They're not even the furthest travelled in the SHFL, and if they're paying out £20 a game to their players they're almost certainly not the poorest payers. 

Nairn are claiming John Robertson was stood on the touchline coaching his players in the second half. You'd have thought he'd let the scam breathe a bit first before coming it like that.