Fort William 2021-22 Thread

Aqy

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Not that it matters, Lossie are going to boss it after slitting the throats of Shire easybeats Huntly yesterday.

Couple more results like that and you'll beat your last year's points tally! :thumsup2

Edited by welshbairn

On 28/07/2019 at 19:57, FairWeatherFan said:

The people that signed up to run Fort William are doing their best to keep the club going and found a source of players that have the potential to make them more competitive after arguably their worst season in history.

But is 'being competitive' with someone else's players a credible means of sustaining a club beyond the short term? Normally you'd expect any club to gain interest and grow even modestly off the back of some league success, but if FW end up viewed as a glorified Inverness development squad then that might not happen at all. I can't see there being too much interest from the locals in watching another club's youth players picking up some match experience in the HL before pissing off en masse at the end of each campaign.

This looks like a sticking plaster that will help them for now, but does nothing to change the fundamentally dire state of that club. And if Inverness' policy changes again then you've both got no players and a structure that breeds greater disengagement from the local community. 

Ross County and Elgin City fans being worked into a shoot by Fort William? You love to see it. 
Good to see another club join the ranks as one of Inverness' feeder clubs tbh. The amount of seethe generated from HL fans has been awe inspiring.

Been following Fort Williams results etc over the last year or so especially since they’ve gained a bit of media attention. I am curious to why people don’t believe having loan players is such a bad thing even if it is 9 players.

Alright I’m not a supporter and get we’d rather home grown players opposed to someone else’s that will leave at end of the season but the catchment area does hinder selection pool of players. You want a team like FW in the Highland league so maybe even if one local boy from fort William has a chance to be good enough, he can be introduced at HL level. It’s keeping opportunities.

Easy for me to say but personally i think the HL should be filled with young lads from Ross county, Inverness, Elgin even Aberdeen as I believe adult football at this level is more beneficial that youth football.

Anyway looking forward to the BBC documentary and good luck for the season ahead

8 hours ago, RossCountyFan14 said:

Easy for me to say but personally i think the HL should be filled with young lads from Ross county, Inverness, Elgin even Aberdeen as I believe adult football at this level is more beneficial that youth football.

Most clubs in the league are self-sufficient in player development and recruitment. Fort's circumstances - the hills! The shinty! The distance! - hamper them somewhat. 
If it got to a stage where the league was happy to become a wholesale development league for SPFL outfits then I dare say you'd see interest wane completely. 

I'm sure someone can answer this. Looking at team sheets from last year i've seen (T/U) used beside the name of some players. I was taking this as a marker for trialists but i've now seen (T) and (T/U) on the same team sheet. Anyone know what (T/U) is used for?

40457824_1902378156467319_1277994431189876736_n.jpg

Edited by FairWeatherFan
adding an image

20 hours ago, virginton said:

But is 'being competitive' with someone else's players a credible means of sustaining a club beyond the short term? Normally you'd expect any club to gain interest and grow even modestly off the back of some league success, but if FW end up viewed as a glorified Inverness development squad then that might not happen at all. I can't see there being too much interest from the locals in watching another club's youth players picking up some match experience in the HL before pissing off en masse at the end of each campaign.

This looks like a sticking plaster that will help them for now, but does nothing to change the fundamentally dire state of that club. And if Inverness' policy changes again then you've both got no players and a structure that breeds greater disengagement from the local community. 

Fort William's team sheet for their opening day fixture away to Rothes last year: 14 players of that number 5 are marked as trialists.

image.thumb.png.daeb028f92f34577bd333d149e7125d0.png

Their team sheet for this year's opening day: 17 with the 9 ICT loan signings in the squad

image.thumb.png.0e443b7e76adc2e328bbf19884cfa3c9.png

Take the ICT loan signings out of the equation what sort of squad do you think Fort William would of taken to Brora at the weekend? I know they've been playing a few from their youth set up including a 14 year old. Going by last season's team sheets available they were a few games where they could only name 13 in their match day squad.

Fort William exist season to season completing a season right now is long term. They were talking about folding in the run up to the 2018-19 season until the board changed over. There's probably a reason why the took in 9 players days before the season started. They needed them!

And there's hope for those that care about watching "your team's players" Turns out loan signings can become permanent signings if you give it a chance.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm sure someone can answer this. Looking at team sheets from last year i've seen (T/U) used beside the name of some players. I was taking this as a marker for trialists but i've now seen (T) and (T/U) on the same team sheet. Anyone know what (T/U) is used for?

40457824_1902378156467319_1277994431189876736_n.jpg

(T/U) Totally Useless ? 😀

22 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

(T/U) Totally Useless ? 😀

Dunno Glen’s a decent player, total rocket but I actually rated him when we played together, good guy. An all-or-nothing winner, i.e. he got sent off a lot! 😂

I mentioned in the other thread last season that I'd gone to a Fort game and seen guys filming.  It must've been for this documentary.  It only reminded me when I saw the trailer and the two guys who look like they should be in an Oasis tribute band turned up getting interviewed!

5 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

All trialists will be unregistered so should all be the same.

I was thinking it might be something to do with having a contract with an amateur team, something technical like that.